Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issues with ChicagoVPS - Reasons I Cancelled - Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Issues with ChicagoVPS - Reasons I Cancelled - Review

This is a review of ChicagoVPS. I have been using them for about a year now, and was mostly happy with their service until a month ago, and then, it all went downhill. So here is my story, in the hopes that someone at the company would read it, and do something about it, or as a warning to future customers.

I had a 2GB / 2TB of bandwidth VPS with ChicagoVPS. It was hosting a few sites with total of about 700mb of files. Basically if was a few WP blogs and 2 small websites. Nothing huge. On a really good day I would get total of maybe 200 visitors, if that. However, it was an important server to me because it hosted my businesses website and name server for our domains. Everything worked great for quite a while. In fact, I did not have to do anything to the server for at least 5 months, or more. But then, about a month ago, problems started happening.

While testing my connection speed (downloading a 1GB file) the server crashed and would not come back online at all. I submitted a ticket and it took them 7 hours to fix it. When responding to my ticket, they simply said “Your VPS has been Fixed.” No explanation, nothing. When asked about it, the support person told me that “the server was stuck in network config.” Not sure what that means, but I did not press on.

About a month after that I installed an RSS reader (TT-RSS to replace my Google Reader). The reader would pull data from 4 RSS blogs about once every 15 min, no big deal. To run the update process I was running a PHP script in screen. I never, ever had a problem running TT-RSS before. However, on ChicagoVPS, the screen would mysteriously “crash” once every day, around midnight. Hmm... So I switched to a cronjob instead, having TT-RSS update it’s feeds every 15 minutes. It worked for a 2 days, and then stopped. I logged into the server and noticed that my cronjob was removed! No, not cron crashed or something, just that one job was removed from the crontab by someone or something.

I immediately contacted ChicagoVPS and asked about this. They, after taking the usual 5-8 hours to respond to a ticket, categorically denied logging into my server. Ok, so maybe there is a hacker that really, really, does not want me to get my news, and hacked into my server just for that purpose and nothing else.

Finally, today they completely shut my service down. No warning, no emails, no explanations, nothing! I contacted tech support. After 5 hours they got back to me. The tech support person told me that my server was shutdown because I reached my 2TB per month bandwidth. This is a complete and utter lie! I backup nightly all my data and logs offsite. I reviewed the logs, and there is nothing that would cause my server to use up so much bandwidth.

In any case, they demanded $10 to reset my bandwidth and get my server up and running. I needed the server up ASAP, so I told them to go ahead and charge my card and get me up and running. 2 hours later, after hearing nothing from ChicagoVPS, and not having my server up and running, I cancelled my service.

Now I am a Linode customer, and a happy one at that, for now. So, to summaries, fuck ChicagoVPS, they lie, fuck with your files, and provide really shitty service. If you can afford it, go with Linode, if not, look for something else.

Thanked by 1aglodek

Comments

• On a side note, if any one can recommend a KVM host that offers 500-1000MB RAM, 30-50GB of storage, and 1-2TB of bandwidth for $10-15/Month. And will answer node related support tickets in under 20 minutes, I would love to here about it. I don't expect people to hold my hand on Linux instals, but if the node on which my system was located goes down, I expect to have at least an answer to what has happen in under 20min, and a fix, if one is possible, in under an hour.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited November 2013

Check the top 20 providers, most of them are good

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/16498/top-20-providers-2013-q3-poll

• I don't know about holding anyone to a 20-minute promise, but some hosts do take their services more seriously than others. They're usually in the top performing group, of course.

Example: https://twitter.com/NodeStatus

• Just, wow... For the recommendation part: Highly recommend Fliphost, you might be able to ask Alex for a custom KVM that meets your needs.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Thanks for sharing your experience, and apologies in advance for the insults coming your way.

• it was an important server to me because it hosted my businesses website and name server for our domains.

How $$ important. 2GB/2TB sounds like one of their $30/year deals......

• RamNode would be a good alternative.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • my server was shutdown because I reached my 2TB per month bandwidth. This is a complete and utter lie!

Do you give permission for CVPS staff to discuss here what they found using all the b/w on your VPS?

• @x0054 said: On a side note, if any one can recommend a KVM host that offers 500-1000MB RAM, 30-50GB of storage, and 1-2TB of bandwidth for $10-15/Month. And will answer node related support tickets in under 20 minutes, I would love to here about it.

Good idea to go with KVM. No promises on the 20 minutes, of course, but I use (or have used in the past) these providers and have found them not only reasonably priced, but also with very professional and responsive support:

@serverian (Cloudive), @SpeedBus (CrowdCrown), @Fliphost, @AnthonySmith (Inception Hosting - Xen PV/HVM, no KVM), @Increhost, @rsk (MyRSK)

Admittedly it does flag itself as one of those events where the user later says "I didn't realize my cron had that impact." Granted that's no excuse for editing it and not communicating.

• x0054x0054 Member
    edited November 2013

jimpop, I was paying $7/month. It was discounted from $24.99/month. If I was paying that alleged full price, I would be really pissed.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited November 2013

Not surprised on the review. The service / support can be really spotty from my personal experience. Moving to a newer node always works to resolve this for the next few months. Their recent builds (after Jeremiah / hack-hack saga) are quite stable afaik

Reg recommendations for KVM, Maximum VPS is the guy you want for personalized support and stable nodes. Fliphost/Cloudshards , Ramnode, BuyVM are known for their stable operations here . HeroicVPS is also good if they are doing a price match / make a custom offer.

Thanked by 2Nick_A tr1cky
  • Another one as me, who decides to leave CVPS :-) I moved to Iniz and BlueVM months ago, and so far I am currently happy with this decision.

Thanked by 1Patrick
  • Any response from @SysAdmin @jbiloh @CVPS_Chris?

Catalyst, RAMNode, or BuyVM if you want top-notch KVM services, also.

Thanked by 2ryanarp Nick_A
  • For kvm server I could recommend iwstack and ramnode :)
    Hope you can find better provider

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thanks guys!

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@aglodek thanks for the mention :-)

• LeeLee Veteran

Hmm, odd. No Chris, no drama. Perhaps he has outlived his usefulness with CC.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    Hmm, odd. No Chris, no drama. Perhaps he has outlived his usefulness with CC.

Or perhaps he's not concerned with stuff like this. Or perhaps he's off spending time with family. Or perhaps... perhaps some people here expect more of him than warranted. ;-)

• LeeLee Veteran

@jimpop, yeah, you are not thinking of the same Chris.

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • For whatever reason, i have a very stable cvps vps.. been like that for almost a year

• @jonnathon said:
    For whatever reason, i have a very stable cvps vps.. been like that for almost a year

Me too. I have 6 there, never had a complaint greater than the amount of $$ I give them. I guess we manage our expectations better than others.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@W1V_Lee, I am sick of you.

As far as the OP, I cant talk about it unless I have some info. We have over 20,000 clients, so its impossible for me to comment on a ticket I know nothing about. This is not some little hobby host like BuyVM etc that only get 15 tickets a day.

As far as BW used, Im sure that is the case, we have no reason to just shut someone off for no reason.

• @CVPS_Chris said:
    This is not some little hobby host like BuyVM etc that only get 15 tickets a day.

Okay, um, did you just throw another host under the bus? Who do you honestly think you are...? The way you conduct yourself here is astonishing, how do you expect anyone here to respect you with an attitude like that? You act like you're some type of holy grail and everyone should bow down to you. After seeing that message of yours, i'm quite glad I moved my data and service needs away from CVPS.

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • skybucks100 said: After seeing that message of yours, i'm quite glad I moved my data and service needs away from CVPS.

I read that statement and think of the following song...

• @x0054 How much is a 2GB VPS over at Linode?

Sorry, you need to write a shorter review mate, that's just plain TL;DR

• You just need to get used to it. BTW Every a few days, they reboot their nodes.

I am terribly sorry sir but we have over four billion clients and we are not your crappy neighborhood convenient store hosting company like GoDaddy. I have no idea who you even are. Please scan a copy of your birth certificate and give me your sister's phone number, I will get back to you as soon as hell freezes over.

Good day. I said good day!

• @jarland said:
    I am terribly sorry sir but we have over four billion clients and we are not your crappy neighborhood convenient store hosting company like GoDaddy. I have no idea who you even are. Please scan a copy of your birth certificate and give me your sister's phone number, I will get back to you as soon as hell freezes over.

Good day. I said good day!

Should I remind you that as of recent audit, the client count has been 7.127 billion. Never miss a board meeting again..

Thanked by 1jar