Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Modernizing SSH client usage - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Modernizing SSH client usage

13»

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Better late than never. I finally got time to try out SecureCRT for a day.

Unfortunately SecureCRT failed in review as well.

1. Only uses it's own internal SSH agent. That's too difficult to control and I'm not flush with time to investigate securing it to a similar level to my current pageant + weasel + yubikey setup.
    2. Non detachable windows (clone to new session isnt great, screen / tmux could be integrated on fully controlled systems to work around this - but not ideal).

I did like some of the options it provided though (including better copy+paste).

@rcy026 Now that looks like it's ticking alot of boxes.

Preliminarily it looks like they arent falling into many of the common mistakes I've seen so far.

I've got an issue with it and snapping. But it's a C# project so I might see if I can tackle that myself.

• MobaXTerm in the past, WSL after for 3 years, WSL2 now since 6 months. Works amazingly great.
    On iPhone / iPad Pro i use Prompt.

• I use token2shell and I like it. https://token2shell.com

Thanked by 1desperand
  • Termius/Solar Putty/CLI

• probably a dumb question but how many of these allow me to type shell command in one place and have it executed in all the windows?

Is it intuitive or clunky?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@sidewinder said: probably a dumb question but how many of these allow me to type shell command in one place and have it executed in all the windows?

MobaXterm (multi-execution mode) and mRemoteNG (multi ssh) can.

• @sidewinder said:
    probably a dumb question but how many of these allow me to type shell command in one place and have it executed in all the windows?

Is it intuitive or clunky?

WinSSHTerm can also execute commands in multiple windows.

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@SplitIce said:
    @rcy026 Now that looks like it's ticking alot of boxes.

Preliminarily it looks like they arent falling into many of the common mistakes I've seen so far.

I've got an issue with it and snapping. But it's a C# project so I might see if I can tackle that myself.

It has a few quirks, but after years of trying different clients I always end up using it anyway.
    It's on github so if you make some improvements I'm sure the author would welcome them.

• sandanistasandanista Member
    edited July 2021

Terminus is now Tabby:
    https://tabby.sh/

@sandanista Tabby looks nice but tabs are not detachable :(

• I personally just use CMD on Windows and xfce terminal on Linux. Don't need all the bells and whistles.

This might end up winning.

https://github.com/microsoft/terminal/issues/1256

Windows Terminal 2.0's milestone date suggests a end of year release.

• Surprise that, there are a large number of windows users. No hate for windows, but according to my observation in real life, there are overwhelmingly macos users in the IT industry.

• @elliotc said:
    Surprise that, there are a large number of windows users. No hate for windows, but according to my observation in real life, there are overwhelmingly macos users in the IT industry.

In my country IT industry mostly using Windows, the one who use macos is a novel writer and socialite

• nvmenvme Member

I just use iTerm + ohmyzsh with agnoster theme.

• romanzromanz Member
    edited August 2021

MTPuTTY (MultiTab PuTTY) for SSH and WinSCP for S/FTP

Not sure if this is the "best" but have been using them for ages and did not look back.

That said, I just tried Tabby and it looks awesome :love:

• @elliotc said:
    Surprise that, there are a large number of windows users. No hate for windows, but according to my observation in real life, there are overwhelmingly macos users in the IT industry.

Congratulations, you probably make a decent living. But I don't think "IT industry" means what you think it means.

• sonicsonic Veteran

Only Termius is native for Mac M1 atm

• Just set up a lot of configs under ~/.ssh/config with a bunch of aliases.

So I just type ssh xxx each time.

• Windows 11 will have tabbed support for the terminal emulator. combined with the WSL and the 'native' ssh client this is probably as best as you can get with true UNIX ssh