Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS with Rock Solid Network and Stability
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS with Rock Solid Network and Stability

ruhnetruhnet Member
edited June 2021 in Providers

I need a VPS to run a monitoring system, and for obvious reasons the network and the system itself needs to be super reliable, so that I don't get a bunch of notifications that all my servers are unreachable, when it's the network or monitoring VPS itself being unreachable for a few seconds. Price would be the next factor. Performance doesn't really matter. At least 1GB RAM would be needed.

Budget $3-10/month. I'd prefer to keep it around or less than what I consider to be a more or less standard $5/GB RAM amount, but would consider a bit more if the network and provider has a very good stability record.

Location doesn't matter either as long as the network is stable, but most of my servers are in the Eastern US.

NOTE: I am aware that many providers have services/networks very reliable and suitable from the standpoint of standard web hosting and email and such, but I have found that often those same providers have minor network issues that can wreak havoc on a monitoring system, and go completely unnoticed on a VPS used for a website or common purposes. A good portion of the servers I need to monitor are used for VoIP, so I need fairly accurate notifications when there is a blip for more than a second or two, or periods with jitter or packet loss, and I need to be reasonably confident that the problems are not from the monitoring server side.

Suggestions?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

State your budget and sexual orientation plz.

• ruhnetruhnet Member

@deank said:
    State your budget and sexual orientation plz.

Uhh, I edited to add my budget.

• BuyVM NY whenever it becomes available

• ruhnetruhnet Member

@NobodyInteresting said:
    BuyVM NY whenever it becomes available

You mean they currently aren't in NY, or they are sold out?

• @ruhnet said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

Sold out it seems. Usually they get stock on the 1st and 7th, but @Francisco can confirm that.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@NobodyInteresting said:

@ruhnet said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

Sold out it seems. Usually they get stock on the 1st and 7th, but @Francisco can confirm that.

Yes sir, I think we're out. If the site shows nothing then that's the case.

Karen had some left but I think it all went this morning.

I have room for 1 more node so I'll try to get that sent in next week.

Francisco

• donkodonko Member

Hetzner cloud

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited June 2021

@ruhnet said:
    I need a VPS to run a monitoring system, and for obvious reasons the network and the system itself needs to be super reliable, so that I don't get a bunch of notifications that all my servers are unreachable, when it's the network or monitoring VPS itself being unreachable for a few seconds. Price would be the next factor. Performance doesn't really matter. At least 1GB RAM would be needed.

Budget $3-10/month. I'd prefer to keep it around or less than what I consider to be a more or less standard $5/GB RAM amount, but would consider a bit more if the network and provider has a very good stability record.

Location doesn't matter either as long as the network is stable, but most of my servers are in the Eastern US.

NOTE: I am aware that many providers have services/networks very reliable and suitable from the standpoint of standard web hosting and email and such, but I have found that often those same providers have minor network issues that can wreak havoc on a monitoring system, and go completely unnoticed on a VPS used for a website or common purposes. A good portion of the servers I need to monitor are used for VoIP, so I need fairly accurate notifications when there is a blip for more than a second or two, or periods with jitter or packet loss, and I need to be reasonably confident that the problems are not from the monitoring server side.

Suggestions?

Come join the family :) EntryBytes.com NYC/Miami :)

• Hetzner.com

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

If you can pay a bit more, @Clouvider has 100% SLA
    https://www.clouvider.co.uk/cloud-vps/

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • pikepike Veteran

Clouvider, PHP-Friends, Hetzner Cloud. All very reliable providers/products.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@ruhnet said:
    I need a VPS to run a monitoring system, and for obvious reasons the network and the system itself needs to be super reliable, so that I don't get a bunch of notifications that all my servers are unreachable, when it's the network or monitoring VPS itself being unreachable for a few seconds.

No matter how rock solid your monitoring probe is, there would be network failures sooner or later.
    Some methods to reduce false alarms:

• If the probe cannot reach a majority of configured targets, the probe should declare itself as failed, and not report faults against other targets.
    • Deploy multiple probes. Declare a target as failed only of several probes cannot reach it at the same time.
    • Slightly delay the alarm, to skip through "several seconds" of hiccup from the probe.
    Thanked by 1ruhnet
  • ruhnetruhnet Member

@yoursunny said:

No matter how rock solid your monitoring probe is, there would be network failures sooner or later.

Yes, of course, and I don't expect miracles, but I have had a lot of VPS's in the past, with varying amounts of network stability.

Thanks for the tips on the monitoring server. I use Zabbix, so I'm sure it is capable of those things, and my justifications in my OP may be a bit overdramatic but basically I just want a very stable system/network to start with, and most users of VPSs, particularly lower cost ones, don't generally know the difference between an "OK" network and a good one. But I know there is "realistic" excellent uptime and there is true five nines, which costs more than I'm willing to pay for this server :-D

• ruhnetruhnet Member

For those recommending Hetzner---I was considering them, but a search for them here on LET brings back several results of people complaining they have a history of network issues. Can anyone explain/deny that possibly? (Their prices look really good!)

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2021

I've got some quarterly deals up in Dallas with Hivelocity's Network.

We've had extremely reliable uptime on our services, with nothing major happening since we got the rack up.

Link

• cazrzcazrz Member

vultr.com, intovps.com, hosthatch.com, nexusbytes.com, buyvm.net, gcorelabs.com, photonvps.com, letbox.com, binarylane.com, smarthost.net, lunanode.com, ultravps.eu, leapswitch.com, speedykvm.com, readydedis.com, greenkvm.com

edited June 2021

@aqua said:

We've had extremely reliable uptime on our services, with nothing major happening since we got the rack up.

Link

Wouldn't trust a new provider that seems to have no privacy policy (just links to TOS, which makes no real mention of privacy), a broken "DMCA" link, and a "99% Uptime SLA" advertised on the front page, as if that's supposed to be impressive, or confidence inspiring. Also couldn't find any info about the SLA, so good luck getting any compensation if it does go down.

Thanked by 2alexvolk slice11

@bruh21 said:

@aqua said:

Link

Wouldn't trust a new provider that seems to have no privacy policy, a broken "DMCA" link, and a "99% Uptime SLA" advertised on the front page, as if that's supposed to be impressive, or confidence inspiring. Also couldn't find any info about the SLA, so good luck getting any compensation if it does go down.

We've been in business for just under a year. Like I mentioned in the thread, a new site is being made, so there is really no reason to fix the current one.

I'll make sure to add some information on SLA on our new page.

Thanked by 1ruhnet

@aqua said:

@bruh21 said:

@aqua said:

Link

Wouldn't trust a new provider that seems to have no privacy policy, a broken "DMCA" link, and a "99% Uptime SLA" advertised on the front page, as if that's supposed to be impressive, or confidence inspiring. Also couldn't find any info about the SLA, so good luck getting any compensation if it does go down.

We've been in business for just under a year. Like I mentioned in the thread, a new site is being made, so there is really no reason to fix the current one.

Yeah, totaally no reason to not have a privacy policy because "a new site is being made". I'm sure you have one, just fix the link on the front page.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@bruh21 said:

@aqua said:

@bruh21 said:

@aqua said:

Link

Yeah, totaally no reason to not have a privacy policy because "a new site is being made". I'm sure you have one, just fix the link on the front page.

You can view the new site here: http://dev.centralss.net

Still need to do some tweaking, and place our privacy policy, acceptable use, and terms of service into it. Will hopefully be pushed this weekend :smile:

• You need at least 2 VPS on different region for this job to make sure there is no false down report

• Check out UpCloud, they have 100% SLA and give you 50x compensation if there's downtime. Storage is also network attached, performant, and redundant so you dont need to worry about data loss, etc. We've been using them for 2 years+, definitely solid provider.

Thanked by 2ruhnet UpCloud
  • UpCloudUpCloud Member, Host Rep

@Brend4n said:
    Check out UpCloud, they have 100% SLA and give you 50x compensation if there's downtime. Storage is also network attached, performant, and redundant so you dont need to worry about data loss, etc. We've been using them for 2 years+, definitely solid provider.

Thanks for the mention and 2 years+ of custom! All of our storage nodes (both MaxIOPS and HDD) are indeed redundant and your data is replicated live across 2 nodes so in the case of a hardware issue (or similar) with one, it will continue to operate just fine whilst we work on the other 👍

Thanked by 2Brend4n ruhnet
  • So many providers you can request from ar 10 dollars per month just select one from tje offer section here at lowendtalk t__

• cazrzcazrz Member

@UpCloud said:

@Brend4n said:
    Check out UpCloud, they have 100% SLA and give you 50x compensation if there's downtime. Storage is also network attached, performant, and redundant so you dont need to worry about data loss, etc. We've been using them for 2 years+, definitely solid provider.

Thanks for the mention and 2 years+ of custom! All of our storage nodes (both MaxIOPS and HDD) are indeed redundant and your data is replicated live across 2 nodes so in the case of a hardware issue (or similar) with one, it will continue to operate just fine whilst we work on the other 👍

What is the storage system of each node? RAID, CEPH or ?

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2021

We could definitely support this request within your budget with one of our SSD KVM Micro, NVMe KVM Micro, or Flex VPS plans.

We offer a 99.99% SLA and 30 day money back guarantee.

NVMe KVM Micro:
    16GB NVMe Storage (RAID-10)
    1GB RAM
    1vCore
    1 Gbps Port
    1 IPv4
    1 /64 IPv6
    $10/mo or $100/yr

https://www.spryservers.net/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=293

SSD KVM Micro:
    20GB SSD Storage (RAID-50)
    1GB RAM
    1vCore
    100 Mbps Port
    1 IPv4
    1 /64 IPv6
    $10/mo or $100/yr

https://www.spryservers.net/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=209

Flex SSD VPS:
    5GB SSD Storage (RAID-50)
    1GB RAM
    1vCore
    100 Mbps Port
    1 IPv4
    1 /64 IPv6
    $7/mo or $70/yr

https://www.spryservers.net/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=206&configoption[127]=633

@NobodyInteresting & @PieHasBeenEaten can vouch for our uptime :)

Thanked by 1ruhnet
  • @SpryServers_Tab said:

Indeed, I have used Spry for ermm... A while? Maybe about 1.5yrs, maybe even 2, and it has been rock solid.
    I'd share a screenshot of uptime (which was at ~400 days), but I had to do some updates which required a restart yesterday, so my uptime went down the drain unfortunately.

Support wise - Tab has been flawlessly helping me with any issue that I might run into, and its usually an issue caused by me and my mad Linux skillz lol 🤣

Network is definitely where Spry shines the brightest (at least from my point of view), as it has always had the best routes to my customers, and I have yet to notice even a blip.

So in a nutshell - @ruhnet - you can't go wrong if you go for Spry Servers.

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

@NobodyInteresting said:

@SpryServers_Tab said:

Indeed, I have used Spry for ermm... A while? Maybe about 1.5yrs, maybe even 2, and it has been rock solid.
    I'd share a screenshot of uptime (which was at ~400 days), but I had to do some updates which required a restart yesterday, so my uptime went down the drain unfortunately.

Support wise - Tab has been flawlessly helping me with any issue that I might run into, and its usually an issue caused by me and my mad Linux skillz lol 🤣

Network is definitely where Spry shines the brightest (at least from my point of view), as it has always had the best routes to my customers, and I have yet to notice even a blip.

So in a nutshell - @ruhnet - you can't go wrong if you go for Spry Servers.

Thanks for such high praise 😀

• wotetiwoteti Member

@NobodyInteresting said:

dis prem

• UpCloudUpCloud Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2021

@cazrz said:
    What is the storage system of each node? RAID, CEPH or ?

I wouldn't be able to go into much further detail on all of the underlying technologies used due it being a proprietry setup I'm afraid, though all storage nodes operate with complete redundancy and are separate from compute nodes with dedicated InfiniBand connections for the storage connectivity! Our page at https://upcloud.com/docs/storage/ does go into a bit more detail on each of our storage offerings if that helps too 😊