Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Offshore vs Virtual Private Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Offshore vs Virtual Private Server

ohmichaelohmichael Member
edited June 2021 in Help

I made an attempt not knowing what I wanted a week or so ago on here but I know what I want and need. Any chance someone fill me in on the difference between a offshore server and a virtual private server. I've seen these free web hosting websites where they are set up the way I want but they limit you on upload and storage and other things. I would like something like that in a secure remote data center like Amsterdam where it is kind of DMCA ignored. Do I really need an offshore or can I just stick with a regular VPS or even a cloud server. I'm trying to decide before I purchase and stay with one. If someone can help then I can choose and find a good deal or purchase one because money doesn't matter if I buy the lowest package a website offers. I hope these aren't questions I shouldn't be asking I am just concerned and this is my first server so I want to do it right. Thank you for the consideration and I hope I hear from someone soon. Also I know I need to get Cloudflare I was told. Do I really need it and what is the purpose of Cloudflare. And is there anything else I need to properly set up a website besides getting the domain which I already have.

Comments

• imgmoneyimgmoney Member
    edited June 2021

Finally, people like me exist.

You cannot compare offshore server vs virtual private server. Offshore server refers to the location of the virtual private server.

There are few host who completely ignores DMCA. Few of the example are

https://alexhost.com/dmca/
    https://flaunt7.com/dmca-ignored-hosting/
    https://abelohost.com/
    https://flokinet.is/

Thanked by 2ohmichael errhead
  • AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2021

based on the previous thread, you

host android mods for movies and other content - I don’t host the movies just the applications.

That itself is not illegal. you can go with a normal VPS I'd suggest.
    afaik they don't send DMCA notices for android mods.

'In rare case' you receive a DMCA notice, almost all hosts give you 24-48 hours time to resolve it. It's not like they will/can delete it automatically.
    Use of Cloudlfare here - it helps hide your VPS IP , so they don't know your public IP (generally) they don't send a DMCA notice. :)

Thanked by 1ohmichael
  • ohmichaelohmichael Member
    edited June 2021

I have seen alexhost, flaunt7 and abelohost - I wasn't sure which to purchase because all I am using my website for is hosting applications for my personal use - package doesn't really matter so price is not an issue - I just don't want an issue with the host about what I store. I'm not hosting illegal applications either but I want to be safe - I really hope these are not dumb questions I've just had friends and learning from their mistakes so I have questions. I hope I didn't break the rules with this post either. Thank you imgmoney. I had the idea to host the applications on a 3rd party host like a dropbox alternative and hyperlink everything if the server has an issue. I am willing to work with them if they have questions. First time website owner trying to do things the right way.

edited June 2021

@WebHorizon said:
    based on the previous thread, you

host android mods for movies and other content - I don’t host the movies just the applications.

That itself is not illegal. you can go with a normal VPS I'd suggest.
    afaik they don't send DMCA notices for android mods.

'In rare case' you receive a DMCA notice, almost all hosts give you 24-48 hours time to resolve it. It's not like they will/can delete it automatically.
    Use of Cloudlfare here - it helps hide your VPS IP , so they don't know your public IP (generally) they can't send a DMCA notice. :)

Thank you for telling me this I am not so worried now - I've had people come at me with other news about this and was a concerned citizen. My old server has been terminated by my old webmaster because he couldn't get along with me (it was personal) so I learned not to use someone else's server- just need my own. I hope you understand the circumstances.

edited June 2021

Are there any basic normal VPS's that you recommend for me? I can check out the packages myself that they currently offer because I need one ASAP. I need one that I can easily just go in upload stuff and customize and it is for beginners. I do not know linux or windows or the other systems. I can edit php and html and some code but that's about it. Basically I can just get by with a format. I'm used to those free webhosts that include everything but limit you on alot. If you could name a few I would appreciate it. If someone comments me as I write this and includes the answer to the questions thank you. I can also afford Cloudflare because yes from what the guy WebHorizon said I do need it. What addons should I get for Cloudflare since I am just starting out. I plan to get the pro package but the addons seem distant to me from what I read. I do not know if I even need some of them. If I get a reply thank you I will appreciate the expertise.

• aiden1aiden1 Member
    edited June 2021

@ohmichael said: I'm not hosting illegal applications either but I want to be safe

to be clear, you are hosting iptv software/plugins that are used for piracy? this is still illegal and prosecutable in the US, generally considered equivalent to drug dealing vs drug using personal amounts, more criminal than actually torrenting something.

don't try to rationalise it in your head that you're doing something good - it's criminal, you are committing crimes, and you will need to pick your provider, payment method, etc appropriately.

this is not a "dmca" torrenting-equivalent issue, it is a "seized for selling kodi piracy addons" issue, if i am reading it correctly

Thanked by 1ohmichael
    edited June 2021

@aiden1 said:

@ohmichael said: I'm not hosting illegal applications either but I want to be safe

to be clear, you are hosting iptv software/plugins that are used for piracy? this is still illegal and prosecutable in the US, generally considered equivalent to drug dealing vs drug using personal amounts, more criminal than actually torrenting something.

don't try to rationalise it in your head that you're doing something good - it's criminal, you are committing crimes, and you will need to pick your provider, payment method, etc appropriately.

this is not a "dmca" torrenting-equivalent issue, it is a "seized for selling kodi piracy addons" issue, if i am reading it correctly

I do not sell items I do not buy either - I just need a website server that I can trust like my last one that can be upfront to me about what I can use on the server so nothing happens - I do not like surprises - yes I have read the TOS on alot of the servers - most I can't figure out. But I appreciate the help I am listening. I shouldn't of said in the last forum help post "first time VPS buyer" what I do because I am new - I was told it might get me in trouble in here mentioning after I said it - if it has I apologize and understand now. I did try deleting it but it wouldn't let me.

• aiden1aiden1 Member

what is the exact software you are trying to run, and why do you think you need offshore? be as specific as possible.

edited June 2021

@aiden1 said:
    what is the exact software you are trying to run, and why do you think you need offshore? be as specific as possible.

it should not matter - a provider just told me mods were not a problem with most - I'm just here to get information about what I can do and change to get a server and website up and running.

• Ah for sure he meant legal stuff o:)

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited June 2021

The fuck is with you asking and writing stuff and deleting them when you're done? Does it seem like a chalkboard or such from where you are?

Thanked by 2Fazzil dystopia
  • Someone I know told me to delete these posts and I couldn’t - I found a provider - so I deleted the posts as I was told - this post wasn’t going well for me seemed I said something to tick someone off - close this post please - if you can if your a moderator have them remove post - I’ll be on again in a few months to a year if I have reasonable questions to ask - sorry for getting people angry. It was my first time asking a question. Someone helped me - I’ll be on my way - thank you provider if you are reading this I will be ordering soon. I understand if I get a warning. It was a learning experience.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@ohmichael said:
    Someone I know told me to delete these posts and I couldn’t - I found a provider - so I deleted the posts as I was told - this post wasn’t going well for me seemed I said something to tick someone off - close this post please - if you can if your a moderator have them remove post - I’ll be on again in a few months to a year if I have reasonable questions to ask - sorry for getting people angry. It was my first time asking a question. Someone helped me - I’ll be on my way - thank you provider if you are reading this I will be ordering soon. I understand if I get a warning. It was a learning experience.

don't worry about him, there are assholes on LET, and good people also (thankfully the good people are the majority) but next time don't delete posts please

• okay will do I'll google my questions next time and if I can't find anything I'll ask on here - nothing that will get me into trouble. I deeply apologize.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Don't worry about it

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

What’s with all the deleted comments?

• @thedp said:
    What’s with all the deleted comments?

I asked a question and someone got rude so I removed it plus I got help in inbox just waiting on reply.

• hardgamershardgamers Member
    edited June 2021

This is againts the rules in LET. Deleted content..

I think mods should restore all posts and ban OP

He just use LET for his own benefit and doesn't give back anything to community (he said himself he will back in afew months if he have another question that he can't find the answer on google)

Thanked by 1DP

@raindog308 - Please restore the delete posts.

• I said that cause I need to rethink before I ask certain questions can you ignore post and let it go to page 10 I got help I said when I need help I’ll be back but I’m only using this to help others and to get help myself - I’m not abusing anything - I just didn’t like a comment that was made so I was told I should remove it and try something different before bugging this place with certain questions. I’m finished with this post can and admin remove it give me a warning or something so people can respect this forum. Thank you!

• @ohmichael said:
    I said that cause I need to rethink before I ask certain questions can you ignore post and let it go to page 10 I got help I said when I need help I’ll be back but I’m only using this to help others and to get help myself - I’m not abusing anything - I just didn’t like a comment that was made so I was told I should remove it and try something different before bugging this place with certain questions. I’m finished with this post can and admin remove it give me a warning or something so people can respect this forum. Thank you!

dont worry about it, its not that big of a deal lol

@ohmichael said:
    I said that cause I need to rethink before I ask certain questions can you ignore post and let it go to page 10 I got help I said when I need help I’ll be back but I’m only using this to help others and to get help myself - I’m not abusing anything - I just didn’t like a comment that was made so I was told I should remove it and try something different before bugging this place with certain questions. I’m finished with this post can and admin remove it give me a warning or something so people can respect this forum. Thank you!

Not everything floats around you.

There are rules, and if you want people to respect this forum, you should too, by abiding to the rules.

• I’m new I saw the post as a way for people to pick on me for asking a question I shouldn’t of - I didn’t know any better - most forums let you go back after posting something that was a mistake - I apologize to site owner - I was given this forum because my friend couldn’t help me I was giving him problems so he thought the experts here could teach me something or find something but all I got was a couple people here and there giving me hard time.

• JioJio Member

People are giving you hard time because 1) internet, 2) shitposters, 3) you are new here and your first question is regarding illegal content and how to host piracy, 4) intentionally being vague and refusing to answer mandatory questions that are necessary to determine what you want to do, 5) you've broken one of the forum's core rules already and didn't read the rules

@ohmichael said:
    I’m new I saw the post as a way for people to pick on me for asking a question I shouldn’t of - I didn’t know any better - most forums let you go back after posting something that was a mistake - I apologize to site owner - I was given this forum because my friend couldn’t help me I was giving him problems so he thought the experts here could teach me something or find something but all I got was a couple people here and there giving me hard time.

I understand and I have nothing against you coming here to seek for information or to learn, but this place has rules.

If you're looking for help, it's best to be as transparent and as honest as possible so others can do their best to help you or advice you with what's needed.

• bdlbdl Member

This thread has everything!

... except involucration

• What is a Hostname I found a vps through here and it asks for one when buying?

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@ohmichael said:
    What is a Hostname I found a vps through here and it asks for one when buying?

just put anything like example.com, you can change it later

• Okay thank you bruh21 this forum is friendly just didn’t want the sharks to get me for what I ask.