Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How bad is Cogent? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How bad is Cogent?

2»

Comments

• @SWN_Michael said:

@SirFoxy said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@SirFoxy said:
    its mid its not great but its not terrible it should never be single homed tho

So I'm doing this wrong? :)

i wouldnt say wrong but i also think redundancy in anything is a good thing

I'm wanting to bring on a 2nd carrier, just not really at the top of my priority list right now as Cogent's been very solid so far. I want to get a few more nodes online, along with a 2nd location.

la or lv would add nicely as you have the east coast + sa, you could have the west + asia with la or lv

• mike1smike1s Member

@NobodyInteresting said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@SirFoxy said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@SirFoxy said:

I'm wanting to bring on a 2nd carrier, just not really at the top of my priority list right now as Cogent's been very solid so far. I want to get a few more nodes online, along with a 2nd location.

Which location are you considering??

Either Montreal (non OVH) or Coeur d'Alene, ID

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@1gservers said:
    Cogent is far superior to where they were 10+ years ago. While I wouldn't single home to them, due to Google & HE.net IPv6 peering issues, they are certainly valuable to have in a BGP blend. Like any carrier, you'll find a few under performing routes, however we have a BGP optimization appliance that performance routes our network. Therefore, we really don't notice any issues with them, since any issues are automatically routed around by our appliance. There's certainly no reason I can think of not to have them in a BGP blend. It's also very nice that when you pick up the phone and call them, the tech who answers is knowledgeable and able to login to their router and make changes, resolve issues, etc. Can't say that about most carriers these days.

I do agree that Cogents customer support has been really good for me and when I call usually in the middle of the night.

What are these "BGP Optimization appliance"? @1gservers

• @SWN_Michael said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@SirFoxy said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@SirFoxy said:

Which location are you considering??

Either Montreal (non OVH) or Coeur d'Alene, ID

I know my vote means very little in the big picture, but obviously go for Idaho. Already plenty of providers in Montreal on OVH, and already one (or maybe more) running on Hive there.
    I have yet to see a low end Idaho provider.

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

@DataIdeas-Josh said: What are these "BGP Optimization appliance"? @1gservers

https://www.expereo.com/expereo-one/

• 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

@DataIdeas-Josh said: What are these "BGP Optimization appliance"? @1gservers

They (Expereo) don't advertise it very well. However they acquired the Border6 BGP optimization software and re-branded it. Contact them for a demo.