Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the RIR have a rule to must have a peering with the LIR?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does the RIR have a rule to must have a peering with the LIR?

mcgreemcgree Member
edited June 2021 in Help

I have get IPv6 and ASN, all of which were purchased from the same LIR, is there a provision in APNIC that I must peering with the LIR? Do other RIR have such a requirement?

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

no.

• mcgreemcgree Member

@skorupion said:
    no.

Does LIR have permission to delete my ASN.

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

No but you have to be multihomes for an AS number, doesn't mean you have to peer with that LIR but at least with one other AS number

• mcgreemcgree Member

@VPSSLIM said:
    No but you have to be multihomes for an AS number, doesn't mean you have to peer with that LIR but at least with one other AS number

Because I bought the /44 at once, I have used the part of the allocated prefix for my dedicated server, it works well, there are still a few /48 avaibale, they told me that if I want to comply with the APNIC requirements, then it must be peering with them. In addition, my IP is used both for Asia Pacific and North America.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2021

@mcgree said:

@VPSSLIM said:

Because I bought the /44 at once, I have used the part of the allocated prefix for my dedicated server, it works well, there are still a few /48 avaibale, they told me that if I want to comply with the APNIC requirements, then it must be peering with them. In addition, my IP is used both for Asia Pacific and North America.

you should consider finding a new lir, for RIPE i reccomend @William and he probably knows someone from APNIC

• For APNIC, yes. Per policy https://ftp.apnic.net/apnic/docs/apnic-resource-policies.txt:

3. If the customer ceases to receive connectivity from the
       requesting organization it must return the ASN. The requesting
       organization is expected to enter into an agreement with the
       customer to this effect.

For RIPE NCC, AS numbers are Provider Independent resources, so no. ARIN only assigns AS numbers directly, not through LIRs. I don't know about AFRINIC and LACNIC.

Thanked by 1tomazu
  • JioJio Member

RIPE -> no

APNIC -> ASN customer must have a network connectivity relationship with the APNIC member holding the ASN. there is not a "sponsoring LIR" concept, it is a "you are requesting an ASN for YOUR NETWORK CUSTOMER" concept.

Thanked by 1tomazu
  • mcgreemcgree Member

@Jio said:

RIPE -> no

APNIC -> ASN customer must have a network connectivity relationship with the APNIC member holding the ASN. there is not a "sponsoring LIR" concept, it is a "you are requesting an ASN for YOUR NETWORK CUSTOMER" concept.

If I use his ASN and don't use his network, it seems I'm in violation of this rule.

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

@mcgree said:
    I have get IPv6 and ASN, all of which were purchased from the same LIR, is there a provision in APNIC that I must peering with the LIR? Do other RIR have such a requirement?

For APNIC, yes.

@udonworld said:
    For APNIC, yes. Per policy https://ftp.apnic.net/apnic/docs/apnic-resource-policies.txt:

3. If the customer ceases to receive connectivity from the
       requesting organization it must return the ASN. The requesting
       organization is expected to enter into an agreement with the
       customer to this effect.

Right. That what APNIC told us.