Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server vs VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server vs VPS

Hello to all ,

So i'm using now Hetzner PLan CPX41 8vcpu with 16gb or ram now , of course i don't have problem with Hetzner, there support is superb although I'm using ticket only for Sales Department.

But i saw a Dedicated Server Intel Xeon E3-1246v3 with 16gb of ram Do you think is worth to to use dedicated server ?

I will use this only for my woocommerce shop

Comments

• My vote goes to dedi.

Thanked by 1elcapitanph
  • woocommerce is pretty resource intensive so i would go with the dedicated

Thanked by 1elcapitanph
  • Thank you so much all.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

If you can afford the dedi, I don't see why not. It really depends on price and whether or not your site is performing fine or not.

• edited June 2021

Quickly wanna mention that if you don't mind paying a bit more (+ a setup fee), you can get a quite powerful Ryzen 3600 (12 threads), 64GB dedicated server for 34EUR in Helsinki which is also from Hetzner.
    https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ax41-nvme/configurator
    According to their order processing times sheet, they should be able to deliver it in 2-3 days.

• If it works, why switch?
    a dedicated server is more work than a VPS.

Hetzner does the monitoring for you with a VPS. Hetzner replaces hardware.

with a dedicated server you have to take care of this yourself. a hard disk is exchanged by Hetzner, but as far as I know the server must be off. and you have to take care of rebuilding a RAID yourself.

Thanked by 2bruh21 Kassem
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2021

@alpha110 said:
    If it works, why switch?
    a dedicated server is more work than a VPS.

with a dedicated server you have to take care of this yourself. a hard disk is exchanged by Hetzner, but as far as I know the server must be off. and you have to take care of rebuilding a RAID yourself.

This is why it’s better to use VPS from Hetzner and OVH

The best thing to do is add your VPS to hetrixtools and monitor its usage.

• @alpha110 said:

True, but with shared you have to weigh the risks of someone else messing up and your performance suffering. If it's mission critical there's a peace of mind with dedicated.

• with great power comes great responsibility.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@alpha110 said:

@errhead said:
    True, but with shared you have to weigh the risks of someone else messing up and your performance suffering. If it's mission critical there's a peace of mind with dedicated.

This is where dedicated VM host comes in.
    You get one or more VPS, but you are guaranteed to be the only tenant on the physical machine.
    The provider monitors the physical machine, and could live migrate your VPS to a different physical machine when necessary.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

As already mentioned, with a VPS you do not have any work regarding the server itself.

Your host will most likely have proper RAID, dual power supplies, redundant network connectivity etc. and your VPS may be migrated to another host in case of failure or maintance.

Keep in mind that you will lose most of these redundancies if you switch to a single dedicated server.

Of course VPS can be oversold impacting performance but I'd trust Hetzner in this way that they provision their ressources reasonable.