Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best virtualization software for overselling RAM (KVM)? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best virtualization software for overselling RAM (KVM)?

13»

Comments

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@Harmony said:
    Well I knew this was coming before posting. Saw other threads like this with the same responses.

You guys are fine sharing CPU power but for some reason you you expect RAM to be dedicated? I am not looking to oversell RAM to the point of OpenVZ.

Why is there so much hate towards this? I don't see the point of having lots of RAM on a node and only having 20% of it in real use at any one given time and the rest of it reserved for small peak times. Overselling is not an issue, overloading is and that's not something I would do.

Overselling RAM is pointless, it's incredibly cheap... Honestly, RAM is one of the LEAST expensive components of a server build out. I spec everything with 128GB RAM for all my newer nodes. Going to be upgrading my first 2 nodes from 96 to 128 here soon. Just spend the extra and don't worry about it.

@SWN_Michael
    um....
    Maybe for non ECC RAM and DDR3 stuff.

RAM is more expensive per GB than HDD/SSD storage.

I do believe in MAXing out my RAM on some systems. But also I have systems that can handle more than 2TB of RAM. So in this case it really DEPENDS on the system it self. But RAM is by far not the cheapest or the closest item that is the cheapest. Even before the whole shortages.

Now to address @Harmony issue. From what I've seen running VMs is that some OSs will pull the max amount of RAM assigned to it. So it will show fully utilized in a system like proxmox but when looking at the VM it self will only show X% utilized.

Seeing that this guy is trying to oversell RAM, I'd bet he's either renting or owning some older server that does use DDR3.

• best to know if this is known low end provider.

• redcatredcat Member

Unused ram is wasted ram, amirite?

• I just wouldn't try this on KVM will cause you more headaches then its worth, Virtualizor has an option to oversell KVM RAM however the VPS have access to its RAM resources still and it just let you use the memory that its not using.

If one guest decides to utilise all its memory in these situations your server would slow right down or even crash. If you want to be stingy with your resources then KVM is probably not the best route for you to go down.