Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Is forcing me to pay $2000 for a dedicated server - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Is forcing me to pay $2000 for a dedicated server

Comments

• JasonMJasonM Member

any update from OP regarding this? This (outcome) cloud be a good guide for rest of us handling billing/contracts with OVH if we buy server from them in future. Also, like Hetzner, isn't there any OVH Rep here on LET??

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@JasonM said: any update from OP regarding this?

The OP appears to be long gone -- he signed up to start this thread.

@JasonM said: Also, like Hetzner, isn't there any OVH Rep here on LET??

In the past, there have been various OVH representatives around here, but none very active.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @vedran said:

@raindog308 said:
    And yes, OVH is losing something - they've reserved the server for him.

Legal things aside, why can't just OVH bill him for a month and terminate and then rent the server to someone else? Are they really losing anything? They can just "unreserve" the server.

It's more than clicking the unreserve button. They're probably having a couple of those servers waiting for being rented. I'm pretty sure their renting-rate is not 100%.

@vedran said:
    They don't have to but would be a nice thing to do.

OVH is a business not a charity. They have thousands of customers and don't need him particularly.

• rcy026rcy026 Member

I cant really grasp that people are unaware of these kind of contracts, they are very common in basically every kind of market.

There is a big difference between "monthly payment" and "monthly renewal". I could renew a service for 1 year, 3 years, 1 week or even a few minutes, and still pay monthly. The two are not tied to eachother, although it is common that they correlate.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @deank said: I just want both sides to sue.

Fixed that for you

• boerndboernd Member

@William said:
    Are you inside EU?

Otherwise just block OVHs mails and dont pay. They will not go after anyone outside EU, as the cost is far more than their entire profit margin for that server.

Well there was a case where netcup hired a collection agency in china for much less.

• @rcy026 said:
    I cant really grasp that people are unaware of these kind of contracts, they are very common in basically every kind of market.

There is a big difference between "monthly payment" and "monthly renewal". I could renew a service for 1 year, 3 years, 1 week or even a few minutes, and still pay monthly. The two are not tied to eachother, although it is common that they correlate.

So... why was that not stated by the customer service rep instead of explicitly saying he just had to change renewal setting to manual?

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:

So... why was that not stated by the customer service rep instead of explicitly saying he just had to change renewal setting to manual?

I'm not a native english speaker, but even I understood that from the very first reply.
    The server is in autorenew and has been renewed for another year. What part of that is difficult to understand?

Or do you mean that the rep should explain that payment and renewal is not the same thing? TBH, the nearest dictionary will tell you that, that is really not the customer reps job.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • I been in this situation before, however they allowed me to cancel the server after 14 months in the 12 month contract I had with them with no hesitation.

OVH also allows transfers so maybe you can find someone that can make use of the server to fulfil the rest of the commitment.

I understand what people are saying about honouring a contract however I do believe its good practice and respect to give some kind of notification that the contract is up and going to be automatically renewed.

• @rcy026 said:

@TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:

I'm not a native english speaker, but even I understood that from the very first reply.
    The server is in autorenew and has been renewed for another year. What part of that is difficult to understand?

Or do you mean that the rep should explain that payment and renewal is not the same thing? TBH, the nearest dictionary will tell you that, that is really not the customer reps job.

whoosh

My point was there wasn't a three year contract and he was free to cancel by just changing renewal to manual. I don't know the point of your reply other than show you don't understand the issue.

If you were on a monthly billing cycle and it renewed annually without notice, wouldn't you ask why the fuck that happened? Because OP did and didn't get a response. His expectation was that "renewal" was monthly billing, since that was the case with the previous 12 payments.

• @starservices said:
    I been in this situation before, however they allowed me to cancel the server after 14 months in the 12 month contract I had with them with no hesitation.

Typo? If you had a 12 month contract, after 14 months it's expired by two months. You had no obligation after 12. You're not making sense.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2021

@TimboJones said: Typo? If you had a 12 month contract, after 14 months it's expired by two months. You had no obligation after 12. You're not making sense.

Depends on the renewal clause. Some contracts have a "if we have not heard from you by $X date this contract auto renews on a 12 month period" or something to that effect. He may also be obligated to provide notice equivilent to a certain number of months.

I really dislike contracts like that (and go out of my way to avoid any company that requires them). I particularly dislike monthly dedicated servers with a months notification period (something I've seen far to often).

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@TimboJones said:

@starservices said:
    I been in this situation before, however they allowed me to cancel the server after 14 months in the 12 month contract I had with them with no hesitation.

Typo? If you had a 12 month contract, after 14 months it's expired by two months. You had no obligation after 12. You're not making sense.

he was in his 2nd contract, two months in

Thanked by 1zhsso
  • rcy026rcy026 Member

@TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:

@TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:

whoosh

My point was there wasn't a three year contract and he was free to cancel by just changing renewal to manual. I don't know the point of your reply other than show you don't understand the issue.

I understand it perfectly.
    OP had a service with an automatic, yearly renewal. He paid for it monthly.
    When trying to cancel the service, he was surprised that it was renewed for a year, automatically, by the automatic yearly renewal.

If you were on a monthly billing cycle and it renewed annually without notice, wouldn't you ask why the fuck that happened?

If I had a service with automatic renewal, no, I would not.

Because OP did and didn't get a response. His expectation was that "renewal" was monthly billing, since that was the case with the previous 12 payments.

Again, you are confusing billing with renewal.
    OP had a yearly automatic renewal.
    OP had monthly billing.
    Which part if this confuses you?

Thanked by 2webcraft iKeyZ
  • dosaidosai Member

OP

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint

@dosai said:
    OP

RIP the OVH mafia came, and burned down his house

• @skorupion said:

@TimboJones said:

@starservices said:

My argument is that wouldn't be called a "12 month contract".

• @rcy026 said:

@TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:

@TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:

whoosh

I understand it perfectly.
    OP had a service with an automatic, yearly renewal. He paid for it monthly.
    When trying to cancel the service, he was surprised that it was renewed for a year, automatically, by the automatic yearly renewal.

**If you were on a monthly billing cycle and it renewed annually without notice, wouldn't you ask why the fuck that happened?

If I had a service with automatic renewal, no, I would not.**

Because OP did and didn't get a response. His expectation was that "renewal" was monthly billing, since that was the case with the previous 12 payments.

Again, you are confusing billing with renewal.
    OP had a yearly automatic renewal.
    OP had monthly billing.

> Which part if this confuses you?

Year three renewal period changed from year two renewal. The fact you're OK by this. That's insane and not practiced in North America.

@TimboJones said:

@skorupion said:

@TimboJones said:

@starservices said:

I'm sorry, what? 12-month contract on auto-renew 1st contract expired, and second was put into place. then after 2 months, after he got the second contract, they let him cancel the contract

• @skorupion said:

@TimboJones said:

@skorupion said:

@TimboJones said:

@starservices said:

I'm sorry, what? 12-month contract on auto-renew 1st contract expired, and second was put into place. then after 2 months, after he got the second contract, they let him cancel the contract

It would a "12 month contract with no obligation renewal". That's generally how promotional pricing works. My cable internet works that way with 24 months. The key thing being the "with" modifier.

If you were a contractor and made a "12 month contract", you don't show up on day 1 of month 13. You won't get paid. Contracts are the place where specifics matter the most.

When talking about professional sports athlete contracts, it's "4 years with an option to renew"...WITH.

edited June 2021

@TimboJones said:

@skorupion said:

@TimboJones said:

@skorupion said:

@TimboJones said:

@starservices said:

It would a "12 month contract with no obligation renewal". That's generally how promotional pricing works. My cable internet works that way with 24 months. The key thing being the "with" modifier.

If you were a contractor and made a "12 month contract", you don't show up on day 1 of month 13. You won't get paid. Contracts are the place where specifics matter the most.

When talking about professional sports athlete contracts, it's "4 years with an option to renew"...WITH.

Let's go with my internet company. I need to send them a letter that explicitly says I don't want to renew with them 1 month before the end of contract. If I fail to do this I'm automatically tied to another 24-month contract. That's how most contracts work. Very little work like the contracts with athletes.

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@TimboJones said:

Year three renewal period changed from year two renewal. The fact you're OK by this. That's insane and not practiced in North America.

Where does it say that?
    As I understand OP, it has always been a yearly renewal.
    OP did however change to monthly payment, but once again renewal != payment

Let me do a simple timeline here, and you object to whatever it is that we don't agree on.

Start
    Year 1
    | - OP buys a service with yearly renewal.
    | - Server is paid for one year
    Year 2
    | - Autorenewal kicks in and renews the server for one more year
    | - OP changes to monthly billing
    Year 3
    | - OP tries to cancel the server but finds out that it has been renewed for one more year.

OP is pissed and seems to think that because he has monthly billing the renewal time doesn't matter.

Thanked by 2webcraft skorous
  • @rcy026 said:

@TimboJones said:

Where does it say that?
    As I understand OP, it has always been a yearly renewal.
    OP did however change to monthly payment, but once again renewal != payment

Let me do a simple timeline here, and you object to whatever it is that we don't agree on.

Start
    Year 1
    | - OP buys a service with yearly renewal.
    | - Server is paid for one year
    Year 2
    | - OP changes to monthly billing

This is where you're wrong or else he wouldn't make monthly payments after it came off his card on annual payment (when "Autorenewal kicks in and renews the server for one more year" ). His payment cycle changed without his knowledge, I don't know why this is hard to comprehend.

Year 3
    | - OP tries to cancel the server but finds out that it has been renewed for one more year.

OP is pissed and seems to think that because he has monthly billing the renewal time doesn't matter.

We're both repeating ourselves. We'll agree to disagree. Your thinking of this annual renewal with monthly payments without a signed contract is not something we do in Canada but apparently you do in Europe. I'm with OP, it's unexpected and entirely beyond acceptable to me for his billing cycle to change from monthly to annual all of a sudden.

/thread

• rcy026rcy026 Member
    edited June 2021

@TimboJones said:

This is where you're wrong or else he wouldn't make monthly payments after it came off his card on annual payment (when "Autorenewal kicks in and renews the server for one more year" ). His payment cycle changed without his knowledge, I don't know why this is hard to comprehend.

It is not, but once again, you are talking about billing, not renewal.
    I really do not know how to express this any clearer.
    BILLING != RENEWAL. PAYMENT CYCLE IS NOT THE SAME AS CONTRACT RENEWAL!

We're both repeating ourselves. We'll agree to disagree. Your thinking of this annual renewal with monthly payments without a signed contract is not something we do in Canada but apparently you do in Europe. I'm with OP, it's unexpected and entirely beyond acceptable to me for his billing cycle to change from monthly to annual all of a sudden.

His billing cycle never changed! He had monthly billing. He tried to cancel the server when it was renewed for another year, hence he got billed for the remaining year! This is not fucking rocket science, how can you not get this?

And once again, you are wrong. I have contracts with two different providers in Canada. One of them I run with yearly renewal and monthly billing, the other is currently on monthly renewal but they do offer some discount if I change to yearly renewal and monthly billing.
    Basically every provider I look at offer yearly contracts with monthly billing, regardless if they are in north America or Europe.

But, lets make it simple. Here is a screenshot from OVH's order form. It is pretty obvious that you can select monthly billing and yearly or even biannual contract length.
    They also offer a "Up-front" payment, which I find it likely that OP used when ordering the server, hence no monthly payments the first year.

And this is from OVH terms of service. which OP has agreed on since he have a server with them.

7.2. Renewal of Services. The terms for the renewal of Services vary from one type of Service to another, as set out below. Some of these renewed automatically (“Auto-Renew”) while others are renewed upon payment in advance by the Client. In cases where multiple options exist, the Client is responsible for selecting the renewal method of its choosing. For certain Services, the Auto-Renew mode is activated by default.

It is pretty clear that OP is simply trying to get out of a contract that he has already agreed upon. I seriously dislike that some people always think that they have every right in the world, but not a single obligation. If you don't agree to the terms in a contract, don't just accept them and think you can change them later! That's not how contracts work!

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@rcy026 said:

@TimboJones said:

It is not, but once again, you are talking about billing, not renewal.
    I really do not know how to express this any clearer.
    BILLING != RENEWAL. PAYMENT CYCLE IS NOT THE SAME AS CONTRACT RENEWAL!

His billing cycle never changed! He had monthly billing. He tried to cancel the server when it was renewed for another year, hence he got billed for the remaining year! This is not fucking rocket science, how can you not get this?

And once again, you are wrong. I have contracts with two different providers in Canada. One of them I run with yearly renewal and monthly billing, the other is currently on monthly renewal but they do offer some discount if I change to yearly renewal and monthly billing.
    Basically every provider I look at offer yearly contracts with monthly billing, regardless if they are in north America or Europe.

But, lets make it simple. Here is a screenshot from OVH's order form. It is pretty obvious that you can select monthly billing and yearly or even biannual contract length.
    They also offer a "Up-front" payment, which I find it likely that OP used when ordering the server, hence no monthly payments the first year.

And this is from OVH terms of service. which OP has agreed on since he have a server with them.

7.2. Renewal of Services. The terms for the renewal of Services vary from one type of Service to another, as set out below. Some of these renewed automatically (“Auto-Renew”) while others are renewed upon payment in advance by the Client. In cases where multiple options exist, the Client is responsible for selecting the renewal method of its choosing. For certain Services, the Auto-Renew mode is activated by default.

It is pretty clear that OP is simply trying to get out of a contract that he has already agreed upon. I seriously dislike that some people always think that they have every right in the world, but not a single obligation. If you don't agree to the terms in a contract, don't just accept them and think you can change them later! That's not how contracts work!

Now show us the line in the contract that states the service is automatically renewed and what are the requirements for cancellation.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • JioJio Member

@randvegeta said: Now show us the line in the contract that states the service is automatically renewed and what are the requirements for cancellation.

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@randvegeta said:

Now show us the line in the contract that states the service is automatically renewed and what are the requirements for cancellation.

I quoted it in the post you quoted, but sure, here it is again:

Thanked by 2randvegeta iKeyZ
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@rcy026 said: I quoted it in the post you quoted, but sure, here it is again:

Sucks for the OP.

Again... this is why I normally provide immediate notice of cancellation to providers in Hong Kong.

My 'sales managers' hate it, and never accept it since it hurts their bonuses whenever they get a cancellation. But still, I record the submission in my E-Mails, which covers me if I forget to cancel again come end of contract term (assuming I don't want to renew).

In Lithuania, such contracts do not exist. Heck, I can sign up for broadband where you can cancel at any time. Lithuania is the only place I've heard of that you can sign up for a 1G fiber broadband service, pay EUR 20/month, and cancel it without penalty after just 1 month.

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited June 2021

@TimboJones said:
    His payment cycle changed without his knowledge, I don't know why this is hard to comprehend.

It didn't change without his knowledge. The OP thought they've changed it to yearly but instead they're collecting the amount for the remaining contract duration at once and not continued in a monthly cycle. This is just as agreed in the contract and usual for super early contract terminations.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2021

@randvegeta said: If the contract auto renewal day is Monday and you cancel on Sunday, all good, no loss for the company. But apparently if you cancel on Monday (or Tuesday), there is a loss? This makes no sense.

In accounting this actually makes sense i was told - It becomes realisable profit instead of unrealised profit, so you can do something like MTM accounting like Enron and book the full amount, even if unpaid, as debt and thus revenue.

This, apparently, is legal in many countries. I barely understand the logic, but it's there.

@starservices said: I understand what people are saying about honouring a contract however I do believe its good practice and respect to give some kind of notification that the contract is up and going to be automatically renewed.

I am pretty sure this is required as EU company anyway, even for non EU customers.

In my case the invoice serves as notice of renewal, but that might not be enough in France.

@randvegeta said: In Lithuania, such contracts do not exist. Heck, I can sign up for broadband where you can cancel at any time. Lithuania is the only place I've heard of that you can sign up for a 1G fiber broadband service, pay EUR 20/month, and cancel it without penalty after just 1 month.

We have the same in Croatia. Because people simply will stop paying and collection from poor is absolutely pointless.