Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question on Contabo CPU usage limitations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Question on Contabo CPU usage limitations

edited June 8 in Help

I've got a quick question regarding Contabo.

They obviously oversell the CPU a lot, what I'm interested in is do they limit you somehow if you use the CPU too much?
I know some providers which limited me if I was constantly using 50% of the CPU, or bursted for a prolonged period of time, and I get why, noisy neighbor, bare metal exists for a reason.

But does Contabo do this?
And to what extent?
Any information on what constant % usage can I have, and for how long can I burst to 100%, has anyone had experience with Contabo limiting or terminating their service for being a noisy neighbor?

Comments

• momkinmomkin Member

They VPS line is heavily oversell , and i don't think they put any CPU limitation.

Thanked by 2AleksaDjordjic miu
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

rule of thumb is 33% constant use with 100% limited bursts

Thanked by 1AleksaDjordjic

lurking in the shadows like a wombat or some shit

• edited June 8

@SirFoxy said:

Sounds fair enough, I'd guess this would especially apply to "cloud" providers like Vultr, DO, Hetzner, Linode, etc?

• @momkin said:
    They VPS line is heavily oversell , and i don't think they put any CPU limitation.

Saw one of their blogs which mentioned mining on their VPS instances, they said its prohibited because it would make you a noisy neighbor, I'd guess they must have some way of seeing if someone is using 100% 24/7... r-right...?

• AdvinAdvin Member, Provider

I have maxed out the CPU on Contabo for 20-24 hours straight while rendering a map. I’m not sure if they limit your CPU after maxing it out for longer, but they might limit it silently.

representative of advin servers - high storage and high performance VDS/Hybrid's

• jsgjsg Member

@momkin said:

That's BS. I ran multiple benchmarks (which do go to the limits) and over a thousand times ...
    and had no problem at all. On a normal VPS. The only 'but' is that my benchmark intentionally makes (very short) pauses between cycles (because it's designed to be a good neighbour).

The point many fail to get is that a VPS by definition is "oversold" that is, that usually there is more than 1 VPS per HWT. If one really needs a full vCore one should buy a VDS.

@SirFoxy said:

Yep, that sounds reasonable as a rough guideline.

The problem with democracy is that by definition > 85% of the voters are not particularly intelligent.

• edited June 9

@jsg said: That's BS. I ran multiple benchmarks (which do go to the limits) and over a thousand times ...
    and had no problem at all. On a normal VPS. The only 'but' is that my benchmark intentionally makes (very short) pauses between cycles (because it's designed to be a good neighbour).
    The point many fail to get is that a VPS by definition is "oversold" that is, that usually there is more than 1 VPS per HWT. If one really needs a full vCore one should buy a VDS.

To be fair, what probably most, or at least me see as "oversold" is overselling more than the usual provider would. Contabo has the highest hypervisor steal that I have noticed, I have 2 clients on Contabo, one in USA and one in Germany, the USA one is actually quite fine, but the Germany one, boy oh boy, I have seen steal reach ~40% and stay there for a minute, meanwhile average was anywhere from 3 to 10%.

Then again, prices are amazing, even when considering that, so can't really complain much.

• DamoHGDamoHG Member
    edited June 10

When I tried out their Windows VPS last year I did run a benchmark test using 100% CPU/RAM for over a week and noticed within the first 24 hours they did limit the CPU reducing it's overall performance by 50%.

Another thing I noticed about their RAM was they had no ballooning driver installed which is required for Proxmox (they advertise they use proxmox???)

• @DamoHG said:
    When I tried out their Windows VPS last year I did run a benchmark test using 100% CPU/RAM for over a week and noticed within the first 24 hours they did limit the CPU reducing it's overall performance by 50%.

Another thing I noticed about their RAM was they had no ballooning driver installed which is required for Proxmox (they advertise they use proxmox???)

Interesting, do you maybe know in details how it was limited. Did the benchmark just see a dip in performance after 24 hours, and was it sustained, are you sure it might not be something like this where the node was just filled up too much and hypervisor steal was just too high: https://www.vpsbenchmarks.com/trials/834/endurance_runs

About memory, can you link me to where they advertise using Proxmox, never heard that before.

• jsgjsg Member

Just did a bunch of quick tests, some hardcore (behaving like a pig) and some normal ("good neighbour" mode). The difference seems to be +-10% to 15%, but actually is to do with normal phenomena related to heavily multitasking processors and VMs.

Counter-check: Running the same benchmarks with the same parameters on my local Ryzen I see pretty much the same pattern but somewhat less pronounced. But then I'm not running dozens of VMs on my box with who knows what workloads.

The problem with democracy is that by definition > 85% of the voters are not particularly intelligent.

• uzaysanuzaysan Member

I used contabo amd cpu at for days(Video encoding) didnt get any warning. But that doesnt mean you wont get either. Its shared anyway.

• DamoHGDamoHG Member
    edited June 11

@AleksaDjordjic said:

@DamoHG said:

Interesting, do you maybe know in details how it was limited. Did the benchmark just see a dip in performance after 24 hours, and was it sustained, are you sure it might not be something like this where the node was just filled up too much and hypervisor steal was just too high: https://www.vpsbenchmarks.com/trials/834/endurance_runs

About memory, can you link me to where they advertise using Proxmox, never heard that before.

sysbench cpu --threads=6 run

CPU speed:
        events per second:  8167.30

General statistics:
        total time:                          10.0008s
        total number of events:              81691

Latency (ms):
            min:                                  0.62
            avg:                                  0.73
            max:                                31.64
            95th percentile:                      1.21
            sum:                              59874.82

Threads fairness:
        events (avg/stddev):          13615.1667/526.15
        execution time (avg/stddev):  9.9791/0.00

24 hours later (even after rebooting and reinstalling OS)

sysbench cpu --threads=6 run

CPU speed:
        events per second:  4282.87

General statistics:
        total time:                          10.0007s
        total number of events:              42836

Latency (ms):
            min:                                  0.62
            avg:                                  1.40
            max:                                77.59
            95th percentile:                      1.21
            sum:                              59876.68

Threads fairness:
        events (avg/stddev):          7139.3333/469.00
        execution time (avg/stddev):  9.9794/0.01

Can't find that info about memory just can recall reading it somewhere might be wrong.

• @DamoHG said:

Can you run something like vmstat and send the results?
    I'm also interested in Geekbench 4 and 5 results if you don't mind running something like YABS quickly.
    https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script
    Basicaly just run curl -sL yabs.sh | bash -s -- -9

Also which one is that, by 6 cores I assume VPS M?

• edited June 11

@jsg said:
    Just did a bunch of quick tests, some hardcore (behaving like a pig) and some normal ("good neighbour" mode). The difference seems to be +-10% to 15%, but actually is to do with normal phenomena related to heavily multitasking processors and VMs.

Counter-check: Running the same benchmarks with the same parameters on my local Ryzen I see pretty much the same pattern but somewhat less pronounced. But then I'm not running dozens of VMs on my box with who knows what workloads.

Yeah, something like that seems reasonable enough.
    But lets say if you did those tests over a long period of time and didn't get throttled at all, I'm a bit concerned about Contabo allowing, well, almost-but-not-really abuse-ish.

Then again, I've heard a lot of people just leave their VMs idling because of the high setup fees so they want to make their VPS "worth it", so the overall usage on the nodes might not be as high as I expect it to be.

• DamoHGDamoHG Member

@AleksaDjordjic said:

@DamoHG said:

Can you run something like vmstat and send the results?
    I'm also interested in Geekbench 4 and 5 results if you don't mind running something like YABS quickly.
    https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script
    Basicaly just run curl -sL yabs.sh | bash -s -- -9

Also which one is that, by 6 cores I assume VPS M?

Don't have it anymore