Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner HDD/NVMe SATA Disconnecting Issues
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner HDD/NVMe SATA Disconnecting Issues

AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

Hello,

I have a couple of AX101 and SX63 dedicated servers with Hetzner. (No, I'm not farming/plotting Chia, I rent them out to different clients. They're targeted for game servers and high-capacity slow storage).

My servers have had their SATA cables or NVMe connectors disconnected around 9 times.

• 3 of them happened on one of my SX63 servers (main drive).
  • 2-3 of them happened on one of my other SX63 servers (main drive).
  • 1 happened on an SX63 (main drive).
  • 1 happened on an SX63 (main drive).
  • 1 happened on the secondary NVMe drive of an AX101

On the ones with repeated disconnects, I've asked them to completely replace the SATA cables and they're still experiencing the same issues. The rest haven't had an issue since. I doubt they're cloning my drives or anything.

I have noticed that on the ones with repeated disconnects, once they boot back up, Proxmox reports a higher error count.

Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], ATA error count increased from 4 to 5

Does anyone know why this is happening on the ones with repeated disconnects? Why is this so common among my servers?

Thank you!

Comments

• You get what you pay for bruh

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2021

Ticket them, ask for cable replacement and port switch.
    If it consists, replace drive or motherboard, simple.

Hetzner does that all for free anyway.

• Considering the widespread issues and it occurring on NVMe, it sounds like a software issue or you are misinterpreting whatever it is makes you think they are disconnected

• Sounds like the early stages of drive involucration..

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@Neoon said:
    Ticket them, ask for cable replacement and port switch.
    If it consists, replace drive or motherboard, simple.

Hetzner does that all for free anyway.

Asked them to replace the entire server other than the drives. Perhaps it's an HDD failure.

@darkimmortal said:
    Considering the widespread issues and it occurring on NVMe, it sounds like a software issue or you are misinterpreting whatever it is makes you think they are disconnected

Running Proxmox VE. When the drives disconnect, I typically check the BIOS and Rescue. Both don't show the drive showing up.

• So the disconnections survive a reboot? What about a power cycle?

• visualwebtechnologiesvisualwebtechnologies Member, Host Rep

Hello

You need contact Provider for that issue I am sure hetzner will sorted out asap

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

Update on this:
    The frequent disconnects stopped happening on one of my servers, and I ended up replacing the main drive on one of my other ones. Seemed to stop.

• varwwwvarwww Member

Voidlinux infra guys faced some hardware issues this week as well - https://github.com/void-linux/void-infrastructure/commit/35ee4ec9306607e364be7af8162268985e0f649a