Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Migration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Migration

mywebhostingmywebhosting Member, Host Rep

Can anyone help me find a solution. I have a dedicated server and I want to transfer this site from a shared server having CentOS web panel to my new cPanel dedicated server.

The remote host(shared plan) will not provide me the SSH access. My website is having around 200+ GB. Any suggestion to migrate my site easily?

Comments

• darbdarb Member
    edited June 2021

ask them if you will tar your data and share it with you; it will be the path of least resistance.

• tetechtetech Member

Restore from your backups to the dedicated server

• darbdarb Member

what is a backup?

• tetechtetech Member

@darb said:
    what is a backup?

Part of your disaster recovery plan.

• @tetech said:

@darb said:
    what is a backup?

Part of your disaster recovery plan.

whats a disaster recovery plan?

Thanked by 2tetech bulbasaur
  • mywebhostingmywebhosting Member, Host Rep

@darb said:
    ask them if you will tar your data and share it with you; it will be the path of least resistance.

Already asked they said it's not possible. They told me to download the files and DB to my PC and restore it to the dedicated server.

• JioJio Member

can try FXP if you have FTP (server to server FTP) access or make backup.php file that contains tar command in exec() and visit it in browser

• If you have more space left in your package you can zip/tar gzip whole/part of it and then wget from your dedi.

• BoogeymanBoogeyman Member
    edited June 2021

DELETED

• tetechtetech Member

@Boogeyman said:

Open your own thread and get banned more quickly.

Quoting the post just preserves it

• @tetech said:

@Boogeyman said:

Fixed ;)

• tetechtetech Member

@Boogeyman said:

@tetech said:

@Boogeyman said:

Fixed ;)

:smile:

• Since you shared host didn't give root access, the only option is to download the backup from Centos Web Panel Backup > Download a full website backup and copy the backup file to your WHM Dedicated server shell through terminal rsync command.

rsync -avrz -e 'backupfile' root@IP:/home

Once it is stored under /home of new dedicated server, restore it with inbuilt cPanel script

/scripts/restorepkg "account name"

• matinsmatins Member

@darb said:
    what is a backup?

Online backup is the perfect solution to many of the business and almost to all industries. These services are inexpensive and affordable to as it is a secured way to protect one’s data. It is, therefore, recommended that one must switch to an online backup service – these are inexpensive and will automatically copy one’s computer’s data over the Internet to a more secure off-site place (the data center) in near real-time without anyone’s involvement.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited July 2021

@matins said:

@darb said:
    what is a backup?

Online backup is the perfect solution to many of the business and almost to all industries. These services are inexpensive and affordable to as it is a secured way to protect one’s data. It is, therefore, recommended that one must switch to an online backup service – these are inexpensive and will automatically copy one’s computer’s data over the Internet to a more secure off-site place (the data center) in near real-time without anyone’s involvement.

Who needs backup? This is LET. We don't have DCs burning down, servers going down, drives failing involucrating, data breaches and providers deadpooling.

If anything happens, the first point of escalation would be via the "New Discussion" button, and it's FOC, even better.

Oh, welcome and congratulations on your first post by the way :)

Thanked by 2angstrom bulbasaur
  • telehosttelehost Member, Patron Provider

It depends on your website. If you are using simply PHP scripts or static html maybe it will work if you simply copy from one webspace to other via FTP and create the necessary SQL-databases.
    If there are more complex website maybe the path will change and your website will not work without any problem.

So first question is: what websites do you need to copy?

The easiest way to migrate an existing VM - in my opinion - is to copy the whole machine by using vmware. Then you can simply copy all to your new provider and you are able to migrate your sites later step by step without a hurry to a new hosting panel.