Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Virtual Desktop Environment
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Virtual Desktop Environment

Not sure if this is the right terminology, but I've been using Ubuntu Deskop 20.04.2.0 LTS and 21.04, and my 3.5GB RAM, 55GB VPS hasn't been able to run it super smoothly. And everytime I reboot it says I need to reinstall. I was wondering what other options there are out there other than Ubuntu Desktop that a VPS with my specs could run easily.

Comments

• What's your use case? What are you using it for?

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited June 2021

@Sebster27 said:
    And everytime I reboot it says I need to reinstall

That's pretty odd, are you sure you're installing it and not running in the try/live mode? And if you're installing it are you booting from the drive and not the ISO?

• LXDE and XFCE is the most used for light weight desktop

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2021

As pointed out, the big problem is what you use it for.

Personally, I like a remote desktop to keep things minimal so that more memory is allocated to applications and usage. This is low-end market, where very megabyte of RAM counts. With this in mind, I use LXDE on Debian. Another options are LXQT (which I also like), MATE, and XFCE.

These also work on FreeBSD without issues, in case you don't really want linux.

I also try to stay away from Ubuntu, because they go more and more away from open-source philosophy (snapd packages, partnership with Microsoft, and so on). Ubuntu is no longer what is used to be.

Again, it all depends what you want to use it for.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • I switched from ubuntu to debian 9/10 desktop environment, less RAM usage

• @jmgcaguicla said:

@Sebster27 said:
    And everytime I reboot it says I need to reinstall

That's pretty odd, are you sure you're installing it and not running in the try/live mode? And if you're installing it are you booting from the drive and not the ISO?

I get it mounted from ISO. I just ticket in and ask for them the mount it with the download link.

@Daniel15 said:
    What's your use case? What are you using it for?

Nothing high resource. Just want it as a second desktop that I can use. Also for downloading files that I don’t want to risk having malware for my personal laptop.

@default thank you for your input!

• @Sebster27 said:
    I get it mounted from ISO. I just ticket in and ask for them the mount it with the download link.

Well are you installing it or are you running it in try/live mode?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

This, I am XFCE fan for like 10 years. LXDE I have been known to use in really crammed devices.

If you do not wish to harm your home desktop use a VM. Live environment or choice of commiting changes or not at the end of the session. There are even windows solutions, reboot restore works and is free.

• @Maounique said:

This, I am XFCE fan for like 10 years. LXDE I have been known to use in really crammed devices.

If you do not wish to harm your home desktop use a VM. Live environment or choice of commiting changes or not at the end of the session. There are even windows solutions, reboot restore works and is free.

I’ll give it a shot! I was looking through their website and saw a few download links. Which is the one I should include in my ticket. It’s a linux KVM VPS.

• Off topic questions : what remote desktop protocol do you prefer ?

• niceboyniceboy Veteran

I use Xfce on 1gb naranja.tech promo vps $9/yr. Even though not super smooth, suffices my occasional remote desktop use.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Not considering your usage purposes but if you're just asking or looking for an Ubuntu Desktop alternative, then there's Arch Linux.

Thanked by 1Shamli
  • Are there any cool uses I can do with it while I’m not using it and without knowing code.

• ailiceailice Member

@Sebster27 said:
    Are there any cool uses I can do with it while I’m not using it and without knowing code.

Debian with XFCE is your answer

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Sebster27 said:
    Are there any cool uses I can do with it while I’m not using it and without knowing code.

Yes, browse LET with it.

Thanked by 1MagicApple
  • CoffeeCoffee Member

I always start with Debian netinstall, select only SSH on the tasksel, then manually install LXDE or XFCE.

For remote desktop, I use X2go.
    Any desktop operation is fast enough and lag is unnoticeable, even if it located 200ms+ away from me.

• Did you unmount the Ubuntu iso after installation?

My guess is the VPS boots from the virtual CD drive by default and hence you get the installation screen on each reboot. Judging from the specs, pretty sure you are on Racknerd. In that case, you can login to the control panel and check the boot order. Make sure to set it as "Hard Disk only" or "(1) Hard Disk (2) CDROM".

And yes, GNOME is not the best desktop environment for remote desktop, consider XFCE or LXDE or LXQT.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • I'm still using xrdp with mate

• @rattlecattle said: Make sure to set it as "Hard Disk only" or "(1) Hard Disk (2) CDROM".

That was the reason for the reinstall on boot! Thank you so much!

• Sometimes, youtube takes forever to load, but only uses 6% of the memory. Can I allocate more memory for youtube to use? Using Ubuntu Desktop still.

• varwwwvarwww Member

GNOME is pretty bloated especially on Ubuntu. Try LXDE/XFCE.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Coffee said: For remote desktop, I use X2go.

Yes! Sometimes I confuse the x2go desktop I use to connect at the other home with the local one...

• ailiceailice Member

@Sebster27 said:
    Sometimes, youtube takes forever to load, but only uses 6% of the memory. Can I allocate more memory for youtube to use? Using Ubuntu Desktop still.

AFAIK, that depends how much core you have not the ram

• DotDot Member

@Sebster27 said:
    a VPS with my specs could run easily.

Hey, a quick intro to linux, it's made to work smoothly on the lowest of all specs effortlessly, so I don't think it is ubuntu causing the issue. ;)

From what I've seen in the image, you seem to be booting into the .iso file instead of the operating system.
    Also the default ubuntu runs on a graphical framework called "GNOME". If you want, you can try xubuntu instead of ubuntu as that runs of "XFCE" and is kinda lightweight

Thanked by 1MagicApple
  • defaultdefault Veteran

@niceboy said:
    I use Xfce on 1gb naranja.tech promo vps $9/yr. Even though not super smooth, suffices my occasional remote desktop use.

I use LXDE on 500mb RAM promo VPS $0.95/yr from Virmach. It's super smooth.

Thanked by 1MagicApple