Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ddos protected provider for private game server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ddos protected provider for private game server

tyzztyzz Member
edited May 2021 in Requests

looking for ddos and legal issue protected provider. im not a terrible person, no spam, no real abuse.

this is for a game mmo "private server" (so its pretty much VERY illegal, copyright infringing, and heavily defended by lawyers)

anyone know a host that is ok with this? prefer paying in btc or cash - i don't chargeback regardless and know what i'm getting into. just want players to not disconnect constantly from spamming competitors.

we make about $3k/m from cash shop donations but server costs currently about $1.5k/m, prefer get that lower.

Comments

• edited May 2021

Perhaps @William can offer something for the right amount.
    Although im not sure if that is at all allowed on LET

• WilliamWilliam Member

Private servers are legal in EU if you do not charge your users. The copyright is a CIVIL case, not a CRIMINAL one.

I can definitely set you up, even inside EU. I have experience from WoW and Minecraft servers and no issue fighting copyright claims.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I feel like a lot of WoW private servers are on OVH.

• tyzztyzz Member
    edited May 2021

unfortunately not wow, its a tencent published game and they are orders of magnitude more aggressive with takedowns..

if dont charge the users then would not be able to afford to keep this online due to the ddos cost.. need a provider (NOT ovh, they fall for this) that is also social engineering resistent, there have been attempts where people will send photoshopped ID, utility ibll, etc (has to be competitors) saying they forgot "my" login and to please remove 2fa / reinstall the OS and wipe all the drives.

ideally would like a host where any destructive action requires some kind of signed BTC message by the same address payment originated from or similar.

my group of firends is also working on a FFXIV PS in the future and i anticipate even worse response legal-wise

Thanked by 1jar
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I changed the subject line of this post to something less LEO-baiting.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

@tyzz said: its a tencent published game and they are orders of magnitude more aggressive with takedowns..

Do they have copyright at all in EU? Chinese corps like to forget that often.
    I am already on very bad terms with Beijing so i'd have no issue with that either.
    My protection provider is in Russia and does not give a shit also.

@tyzz said: ideally would like a host where any destructive action requires some kind of signed BTC message by the same address payment originated from or similar.

I happily will do absolutely nothing without a GPG/PGP signed message, if thats what you look for. Not going to get into weird Blockchain shit for a single customer though.

• tyzztyzz Member

@William said: Private servers are legal in EU if you do not charge your users. The copyright is a CIVIL case, not a CRIMINAL one.

does this mean a monthly subscription or cash shop purchases?

do you know if there is legal difference between "clean room" reverse engineering of packets or if you use .exe's made by the official game company that were stolen in a hack or leaked?

• pikepike Veteran

@jar said:

They used to be, now they're in the cloud. I hear some servers died because they lost x-days of data from having to rollback to last backup, causing a giant outrage among the community.

Thanked by 1jar
  • WilliamWilliam Member

@tyzz said: do you know if there is legal difference between "clean room" reverse engineering of packets or if you use .exe's made by the official game company that were stolen in a hack or leaked?

Yes, there is very much a difference - especially if the clean room reversed server does not use any copyrighted material (images, loading screens, maps etc.) it should be absolutely legal to even run commercially. STealing business is after all.. business.

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited May 2021

@William said:

@tyzz said: do you know if there is legal difference between "clean room" reverse engineering of packets or if you use .exe's made by the official game company that were stolen in a hack or leaked?

Yes, there is very much a difference - especially if the clean room reversed server does not use any copyrighted material (images, loading screens, maps etc.) it should be absolutely legal to even run commercially. STealing business is after all.. business.

Just a note that distribution of patched game files would constitute DMCA violations, you have to direct your users to download game files from official locations and then only distribute the patches that need to be made to that game file.

Nexon was able to successfully sue several Maplestory private server creators for copyright infringement and win large settlements.

• MarcoooMarcooo Member, Host Rep

What for specifications do you need?

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2021

What game is it?

I had a customer dedicated server (in NL) seized with court orders few months back.
    Customer Hosting (one of the bigger) "Metin2 Pserver" .
    License tax evasion after all. Just took them almost a Year to do so.

It sounds like it. You should be cautious.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2021

@pike said:

@jar said:

They used to be, now they're in the cloud. I hear some servers died because they lost x-days of data from having to rollback to last backup, causing a giant outrage among the community.

Warmane (the biggest one and even on USTR lists) is using OVH Game range even now. The website is another host though.

@tyzz Is it Metin2 or Moonlight Blade server? Just curious.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@HostSlick said: I had a customer dedicated server (in NL) seized with court orders few months back.

Customer Hosting (one of the bigger) "Metin2 Pserver" .

Happens especially for them. But keep in mind laws are not the same even across EU.

• tyzztyzz Member

@stefeman said: Just curious.

we have a few running in vms metin2 , mu online, soon moonlight blade. attack on metin2 is the largest, 3 digit gbps minimum for weeks

• tyzztyzz Member

DM SPAMMER without provider tag

• tyzztyzz Member

@William said: EU if you do not charge your users

I don't understand, why would you want to run one withotu charging users? the whole point is to make money.

• JioJio Member

@tyzz said: I don't understand, why would you want to run one withotu charging users? the whole point is to make money.

Think about what you just said from the POV of the companies you are stealing from.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2021

@Jio said:

@tyzz said: I don't understand, why would you want to run one withotu charging users? the whole point is to make money.

Think about what you just said from the POV of the companies you are stealing from.

hes too deep in the game to think about running it for the game itself rather than money first. Once you realize how much it makes for you, its hard to stop or refuse it.

• JioJio Member
    edited May 2021

@stefeman said: hes too deep in the game to think about running it for the game itself rather than money first. Once you realize how much it makes for you, its hard to stop or refuse it.

I have done some stuff related to PS before, but it was all for academic curiosity, and maybe preserving the game if it ever dies.

I don't understand why people would donate money to a PS much less spend 20 hours a day grinding on a PS where no one will officially ever see your achievements and there's a 75% chance all of it gets shut down and deleted due to manchild drama the next month.

At least selling paid cheats makes you a significant amount. There's no way this can be anything more than min wage in US for the amount of effort and drama. Have also never once seen a PS that didn't have favouritism, cheating, attacking other PS, etc.