Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many days backups did webhosting company retain?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many days backups did webhosting company retain?

mywebhostingmywebhosting Member, Host Rep

I have talked with some hosting company, and they said they only keeps backup for the last 1 week. Can anyone suggest a hosting company providing shared hosting backup for more than 1 month.

Comments

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2021

at xsltel we retain 1 month of deduplicated backups. even our free hosting has that feature. however it does not have panel to restore your data yourself, you will have to open ticket for restoring to a specific date within last 31 days .

Thanked by 1weltonwang88
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

There are many companies that keep multiple backups a few months old. But the price may be higher than the average. Make sure to ask the Host before you purchase.

• Dont trust anyone when it comes to backups.
    Make backups on your own.

• cochoncochon Member

@dodheimsgard said:
    Dont trust anyone when it comes to backups.
    Make backups on your own.

Exactly this, one of the key reasons for having a backup is in case the hosting company itself goes bust.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited May 2021

@mywebhosting said: Can anyone suggest a hosting company providing shared hosting backup for more than 1 month.

I have only 1 question, why should the provider keep an end users backup for such a long period of time?

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@dodheimsgard said: Make backups on your own.

But please: don't store it on the hosting server ... (yes; a lot of people do)

@seriesn said: I have only 1 question, why should the provider keep an end users backup for such a long period of time?

Convenience? :)

• @seriesn said:

@mywebhosting said: Can anyone suggest a hosting company providing shared hosting backup for more than 1 month.

I have only 1 question, why should the provider keep an end users backup for such a long period of time?

in case they forgot to renew and terminated already, so they can charge more.

• seriesnseriesn Member

@RickBakkr said: Convenience?

Hot damn.

@logaritse said: in case they forgot to renew and terminated already

Extra spicy damn.

Thanked by 1coolice
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Depends on whether you are specifically paying for such backup.

Even then...., well, if you are relying on someone else to put a condom on your dick, you've got no hope.

Thanked by 2seriesn coolice
  • 7 days is plenty enough.

Having more backups = good

Having more backups = expensive

I've seen a niche providers with 3 months backup. Though they are out of business now.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Make your own offsite backups, even if your provider offers them. If the provider disappears, so do your backups.

• qba82qba82 Member, Patron Provider

We got backups from last 1 month.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@seriesn said: Hot damn.

Yes.

Sincerely,
    Raymond Holt.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • Unless otherwise stated, assume that the host has no backups or that you will not have easy access to them (the hosts backups are usually for them, so they can restore your stuff to a last-known-good state in the case of hardware or OS failure so getting something restored requires support tickets and even then it might be all-or-nothing). Too many cheap shared hosts don't keep good backups at all, VPS hosts also. Those that do have backups might not have a good backup procedure (they may never test the backups, or they might keep them too local, so they are no use in some emergencies (like when one of OVH's DCs went up in smoke)). Unmanaged dedicated servers will have no backups that you don't create yourself.

Also if the host is offline, you won't have access to their backups anyway.

It is strongly recommended that you keep backups off-host, so that you can restore everything on another host if needed. And design your backup regime so that you can recover individual parts (not having to restore larger chunks), or restore older content not just the latest versions (i.e. keep multiple snapshots going back as far as you might realistically need).

Also test your backups regularly - you don't want to find that they haven't been updating successfully at the time you need to restore from them. Some of my services have a small private mirror which the latest backup is automatically restored to daily, and I check that copy regularly & if the latest content isn't there something is wrong with the backups - this may be overkill depending on what you are backing up but I find it reassuring and the restore procedure existing means I have that already defined in case I need to use it in anger or build a fresh mirror (if the main host goes down, I could just update DNS and firewalls so the restore-test copy becomes production until such time as something else is ready).

• If you need backups then you can just talk to your provider and pay a price to keep them safe on their hard drive.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I know personally I only keep the latest copy now. I was keeping 7 copies at a time previously, and I was probably around 75TB in on backups. They were starting to get out of hand :joy:

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@ankursharma8715 said: [...] to keep them safe on their hard drive.

And don't forget to pray that their hard drives don't involucrate. :)

Thanked by 2yoursunny bulbasaur
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Customers will complain anyway.

So, might not well not keep backups and be happy.

• handyhosthandyhost Member, Host Rep

We Keep Monthly 1 Backup and Weekly backups.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I currently retain 7 months worth :joy: via two different backup sources.

• darbdarb Member

Always assume that you are dealing with an idiot or bunch of idiots; even if there is only one idiot out of 100, the idiot factor will always prevail.

A few years ago I was on a shared hosting provider and they migrated everything from OVH to Vultr; APPARENTLY they just migrated and then deleted without verifying or leaving the old data for even a few days because they lost the mysql data on two of my domains. I got a "sorry", not even an offer for a months host as compensation for a years worth of data.

@mywebhosting said:
    I have talked with some hosting company, and they said they only keeps backup for the last 1 week. Can anyone suggest a hosting company providing shared hosting backup for more than 1 month.

• @darb said: I got a "sorry", not even an offer for a months host as compensation for a years worth of data.

Jeez. When I transfer even the most mundane stuff, I keep my backups for at least two weeks to make sure that nothing goes wrong.

• darbdarb Member

I think that I made reference to the fact that even a 12 year old would probably be smart enough to verify data before deleting it.  I was furious, it is good that they are in the same country but 4.5k kilometers away or I could be in jail right now for homicide.

I have made a point of posting my review of them on every possible site that I can find and undoubtedly have cost them many times what a year's worth of hosting would have cost them (peanuts).  Some situations, sorry doesn't come close to cutting it and if you fuk up that bad and do irreparable damage to the relationship, you still need to take steps to minimize further damage.

It is so easy these days to post negative reviews of a business, legitimate or not; I personally try to read into each negative comment to try and see if there is any validity to the claim, or if it is just a malicious or ill informed dick.

But on a positive note, it has helped me develop my golden rule when it comes to the hosting industry, never trust the french.