Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a ''''traditional'''' ip
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

a ''''traditional'''' ip

aiden1aiden1 Member
edited May 2021 in Requests

This is arguably the stupidest thing you are going to read today

Is there any provider of cheap VM that offers an ... older[???] IP? to act as a <1Mbps TCP proxy.

For example, something in 81/8 or 80/8 for EU. I don't need, want, or care about residential bullshit, just need some old legacy space that hasn't changed hands within 10ms of DE/GB/NL.

I'm dealing with a problematic stubborn client that has this bizarre legacy software/hardware (imagine a USB 1.0 dongle for licensing) that hates anything it doesn't know or understand, and the original vendor/developer is dead, no suorce code access, it hasn't been touched in forever, so it thinks 23/8 does not exist, 103/8 does not exist, 185/8 does not exist, you can't get any traffic to 1/8, etc. This wasn't a problem until he moved to a new ISP that CGNs in 185/8. it's also written in delphi or something, not a thing i really want to touch.

yeah idk what the hell, this is what i get for trying to freelance

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Can you place a small OpenWrt router in front of the hardware?
    You can then configure symmetric NAT in that router.

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • @yoursunny said:
    Can you place a small OpenWrt router in front of the hardware?
    You can then configure symmetric NAT in that router.

This, or you can run it in QEMU and create a virtual network adapter with some crazy iptables rules.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@aiden1 said: This is arguably the stupidest thing you are going to read today

Wow.

But to be fair, there's all kinds of ancient legacy stupidity out there in the world.

@aiden1 said: Is there any provider of cheap VM that offers an ... older[???] IP? to act as a <1Mbps TCP proxy.

I seem to recall that when I had a Kimsufi, it was in the 5.x.x.x range. I'm not clear what you're looking for...is it a first octet below 23? You said 1 /8 wouldn't work...?

• @raindog308 said:

@aiden1 said: This is arguably the stupidest thing you are going to read today

Wow.

But to be fair, there's all kinds of ancient legacy stupidity out there in the world.

@aiden1 said: Is there any provider of cheap VM that offers an ... older[???] IP? to act as a <1Mbps TCP proxy.

I seem to recall that when I had a Kimsufi, it was in the 5.x.x.x range. I'm not clear what you're looking for...is it a first octet below 23? You said 1 /8 wouldn't work...?

Wasn't there an issue with Cloudflare's DNS with certain US ISPs because their equipment had some kind of hardcoded constants? Could be the same issue I suppose.

Also OP did say that it can't get any data to 1 /8 which is different from it not existing so this could very well be the issue.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited May 2021

Is the IP range just for the licensing? If that's the case, it might be easier to find a developer that can patch out the licensing calls than trying to find an IP range it likes. Otherwise I'd probably just NAT it - use an IP in an IP range it's happy with as the IP on the internal network adapter, and hope you never need to communicate with the real host that uses that IP. Kinda sketchy to use non-RFC1918 IPs behind NAT, but I think it'd work.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • aiden1aiden1 Member

i totally didn't think about just claiming some random /24 in his old ISP for use on that machine. it's not like it has to connect to anything in that block anyway.

great idea, thanks. i only didn't think about this because who the hell would do this ;)

• @aiden1 said:
    i only didn't think about this because who the hell would do this

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran

@aiden1 said:
    i totally didn't think about just claiming some random /24 in his old ISP for use on that machine. it's not like it has to connect to anything in that block anyway.

great idea, thanks. i only didn't think about this because who the hell would do this ;)

It just depends on how it checks the IP. Give it a go; you've got nothing to lose, right?
    You probably don't need an entire /24; even a /30 should be OK.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2021

We've got a couple of subnets in 80.255.0.0/16 if an address there works for you?

Don't think it's legacy space though.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I do have IP space in 80.78.x.x.
    It's regular RIPE-allocated PA nowadays, no PI or legacy (in terms of pre-RIPE).
    80/8 itself has been assigned to RIPE by IANA back in 2001 (if this makes it a "traditional" IP).
    If you have at least $5 per month, feel free to contact me for a custom VM plan, DE/NL possible.