Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
is XO communications still a Tier 1 provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

is XO communications still a Tier 1 provider?

Sorry if it's a stupid question. Have they ever been?

Comments

• Why does it matter? Tier 2 providers can usually offer you better routing with more peering points, etc.

-

• And also the criteria on who is Tier 1 vary usually depending on whom you are asking.
    Many people have secret deals and those are turning bad from time to time, we see routing wars, hell, it is a battlefield out there :P

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• XO owns physical fiber miles. The answer is 100% yes.

NodePop - OpenVZ 1GB of Ram $4/m - when Prepaid - Native IPv6, IPv4 and we price match
  • @Nodepop said:
    XO owns physical fiber miles. The answer is 100% yes.

They lease it not own it. Especially true for those transatlantic & transpacific calbes.

Being a Tier 1 has nothing to do with owning/leasing fibers.

Designers: www.linkun.info

• NodepopNodepop Member
    edited November 2013

@dnwk said:
    Being a Tier 1 has nothing to do with owning/leasing fibers.

To be a Tier I you would NOT "purchas IP transit or pay settlements". The easiest way to do this is...... To own a physical network and peer out of it. In this day in age, a single peering point will connect you globally. Making you Tier I.

NodePop - OpenVZ 1GB of Ram $4/m - when Prepaid - Native IPv6, IPv4 and we price match
  • @rds100 said:
    Why does it matter? Tier 2 providers can usually offer you better routing with more peering points, etc.

I'll have to agree with this. I was asking because XO transit for me is absolute crap compared to say NLayer.

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

Nodepop said: In this day in age, a single peering point will connect you globally. Making you Tier I.

No, no exchange currently gives more than 50% of the global table - Top is LINX, followed by AMSIX, by DECIX, by Equinix.

• Nodepop said: The easiest way to do this is...... To own a physical network and peer out of it. In this day in age, a single peering point will connect you globally. Making you Tier I.

Not at all true.