Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone here still stuck on OpenVZ 6 and want new software?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone here still stuck on OpenVZ 6 and want new software?

wpyogawpyoga Member

I'm wondering if some technical discussion would be welcome here, and if OpenVZ 6 is still widely in use.

I myself rent an OpenVZ 6 VPS. The OS was originally Ubuntu 16.04, and now I've upgraded it to Ubuntu 20.04. The issue with Ubuntu 16.04 is its old software selection... (nginx was stuck at version 1.10.......)

Anyway, I did the upgrade by recompiling libc. If anyone's interested I can share my (messy ...) scripts here :smile: and maybe have a discussion, since it still has some limitations.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

If you are still stuck on OpenVZ 6 you should terminate immediately.
    Also name the provider please.

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited May 2021

@Neoon said:

@noezde or @noezgermany still have oVZ6 services.. only provider I remember who did not switch their customers.
    I'm having KVM only except with HostUS who switched my plan to LXC for free. So far so nice though no big improvement performance wise.

• LXC tends to only show the host node's load averages though.

Also, time4vps has storage servers running OpenVZ. @yoursunny start the OVZ6 hall of shame?

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@stevewatson301 said:
    LXC tends to only show the host node's load averages though.

This is easy to fix.
    With Proxmox and other solutions for example you just need to add the option -l to ExecStart inside the file /lib/systemd/system/lxcfs.service

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

@noezde or @noezgermany still have oVZ6 services.. only provider I remember who did not switch their customers.
    I'm having KVM only except with HostUS who switched my plan to LXC for free. So far so nice though no big improvement performance wise.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited May 2021

@wpyoga said: Anyway, I did the upgrade by recompiling libc. If anyone's interested I can share my (messy ...) scripts here :smile: and maybe have a discussion, since it still has some limitations.

No one here really wants to have a discussion about how to survive with OVZ 6 when it would make much more sense to leave OVZ 6

• wpyogawpyoga Member

@Neoon said:

Well, can I not do both?

1. It's one of the cheapest unmetered VPSes I can find over here, and the plan is not available anymore (they just keep renewing my service), so the tinkering is actually part of the fun.

2. Also, my country's network is basically tethered to the regional hub, so overseas nodes have terrible pings. This node is actually my main node nowadays, the others are overseas so SSH is slow...

3. I'm quite impressed with the service. A few days ago, when I was still trying to figure out a way to use new libc6 binaries without recompiling (I managed to make it work somewhat via binary patching), I accidentally borked the installation. I told them it was just 2 wrong symlinks, and they fixed the issue within the hour, just after midnight. That was awesome.

4. It's just fun for me :wink: I do understand that I shouldn't probably use this node in production though.

• @Neoon said:

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

Didn't feel like a downgrade. Applications are still working and performance is comparable.

edited May 2021

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

Didn't feel like a downgrade. Applications are still working and performance is comparable.

Dedi is classified as ENTERPRISE
    KVM is classified as premium grade.
    OVZ is wood class, LXC is somewhere in-between wood and premium.

Shared Hosting is below wood, more like Evergreen, if it does even float, it will get stuck.

Thanked by 2yoursunny Saahib
  • ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

@Neoon said:

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

Shared Hosting is below wood, more like Evergreen, if it does even float, it will get stuck.

I prefer OVZ over LXC. why would LXC be better?

@ezeth said:

@Neoon said:

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

• Shiny new KERNEL 5.3 and up, with OVZ you stuck on 3.x currently
    • Allows for containers to be run without root, in case of someone breaks out, he is stuck with the same permissions he had before, except you don't patch your system and the guy finds a exploit to escalate permissions to root
    • New operating systems working out of the box, without any modifications, due to newer kernel + dependencies even Debian 11 runs on it now while OVZ6 likely takes a shit
    Thanked by 1wpyoga
  • ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2021

@Neoon said:

@ezeth said:

@Neoon said:

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

• Allows for containers to be run without root, in case of someone breaks out, he is stuck with the same permissions he had before, except you don't patch your system and the guy finds a exploit to escalate permissions to root
    • New operating systems working out of the box, without any modifications, due to newer kernel + dependencies even Debian 11 runs on it now while OVZ6 likely takes a shit

That's not true. Openvz can run ubuntu 20 with the new kernel. You can create a docker container in openvz too.

Not tried ovz 6 but I am using openvz 7 without any problems and I am very happy so far. Have not tried this lxc yet

I know there have been many security issues with lxc

@ezeth said:

@Neoon said:

@ezeth said:

@Neoon said:

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

That's not true. Openvz can run ubuntu 20 with the new kernel. You can create a docker container in openvz too.

I did not talk about Ubuntu 20.04 but, it gets delivered with 5.4 Kernel, you likely won't get it properly to run without any modifications on 3.x.

I did not say they won't work, I did say however out of the box aka no modifications.

Not tried ovz 6 but I am using openvz 7 without any problems and I am very happy so far. Have not tried this lxc yet

If you are happy, then its fine.

I know there have been many security issues with lxc

Same with OVZ, I saw a few container breakouts.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Thanked by 1ThracianDog
  • @Neoon said:

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

Now I understand your meme. Switched to LXC from oVZ6 not KVM. I was imprecise, sorry. Everything else expect this box (oVZ6 -> LXC) is KVM.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Neoon said:

Docker works on VirMach KVM (384MB).
    Docker works on Gullo OpenVZ 7 (256MB).
    Docker crashes on microLXC (256MB).

edited May 2021

@yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:

Docker works on VirMach KVM (384MB).
    Docker works on Gullo OpenVZ 7 (256MB).
    Docker crashes on microLXC (256MB).

"No sane person would run Docker on 256MB"
    Neoon May 2021

LXC in LXC inside the container is disabled so likely Docker won't work .
    Should work with a few changes, however insane.

edit:

"No real security impact for unprivileged containers, rather disastrous security impacts for privileged containers (it allows bypassing apparmor and accessing /proc and /sys in unsafe ways)."

Could enable that I guess, I could but first I need to get drunk.

• wpyogawpyoga Member

I'm not trying to nitpick here, but:

@Neoon said:

Since the latest glibc (2.33) still requires kernel 3.2.0 at minimum, newer distros will very likely be able to run with just a simple recompilation on OpenVZ 7. I know OpenVZ 6 needs a patch to the glibc before compiling, and it's missing a few system calls, but Ubuntu 20.04 runs just fine. If my provider keeps renewing my VPS, I plan to update to Ubuntu 22.04 once it's released.

@Neoon said:
    I did not talk about Ubuntu 20.04 but, it gets delivered with 5.4 Kernel, you likely won't get it properly to run without any modifications on 3.x.

On the other hand, I think I've seen some OpenVZ 7 offerings with Ubuntu 20.04. Either they got it to work unmodified, or they had to recompile glibc.

As far as I know, the only thing that should be calling system calls directly is just glibc, so a kernel recompile should be enough.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited May 2021

There's already a modified glibc version available here: https://github.com/sdwru/glibc-debian-10/releases for Debian and https://github.com/sdwru/glibc-centos-8/releases for CentOS.

I really wouldn't recommend it though, as more and more software is going to depend on newer kernel features. 2.6 is very old and is missing a large number of features... Even RHEL only backported bug fixes to 2.6, not new features. It's like trying to prolong the life of Windows XP by copying bits and pieces from Windows 10... It's not sustainable.

@wpyoga said: As far as I know, the only thing that should be calling system calls directly is just glibc

There's a bunch of features missing from 2.6.x kernels... It might appear to run fine if you shim newer system calls in glibc, but other random stuff will likely break too, as nobody is writing code in 2021 expecting it to run on a kernel that's been EOL for over 5 years now. It's not just glibc that depends on kernel features.

Thanked by 1wpyoga
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Daniel15 said:
    run fine if you shim newer system calls in glibc

Until you run a Go program, which directly invokes syscalls without going through glibc.
    Although, Go still supports kernel 2.6 for now.

as nobody is writing code in 2021 expecting it to run on a kernel that's been EOL for over 5 years now.

True.
    The stallion coder doesn't deal with legacy stuff.
    My code this year requires 5.4 kernel, so that I can use AF_XDP.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran

@yoursunny said: My code this year requires 5.4 kernel, so that I can use AF_XDP.

Pressure Stall Information is also useful for monitoring purposes, but it's only included in kernel 4.10 and above.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

OV6 in 2021 :confused:

Just move on. Utilize your time, money & efforts into something more useful.

• This thread reminded me to check on my NAT VMs from @mikho / mrvm that where supposedly "being converted [...] to OpenVZ7 as soon as possible" back in Dec 2019.

They're still running OVZ6 as far as I can tell. :/

• @Neoon said:

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

@webcraft said:

@Neoon said:

I think you're being too generous to KVM here. I would argue that KVM is closer to entry level, although on a low-end budget I suppose it's a bit more "premium".

Most of the popular VPS providers (DO, Vultr, etc.) only ship fully virtualized services (minus their kubernetes service I suppose), and I would consider DigitalOcean an "entry level" service for the most part.

LXC is a fine low-end option, it's so much better than OpenVZ (3.x kernels, disgusting). I would love to see more LXC low-end offerings, because unless I'm missing something huge it seems to have all the same properties as OpenVZ with regard to scalability and performance but is vastly superior in being usable for this day and age.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@ehhthing said: only ship fully virtualized services (minus their kubernetes service I suppose)

They run on normal KVM instances.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

I remember an OpenVZ 6 node I look after with few "production VMs", was always pain to see it with obsolete softwares and that too with no straight forward method to upgrade to OVZ 7 that time. Then finally converted them to LXC and latest kernel, feels good now.

• wpyogawpyoga Member

@Daniel15 said:
    There's already a modified glibc version available here: https://github.com/sdwru/glibc-debian-10/releases for Debian and https://github.com/sdwru/glibc-centos-8/releases for CentOS.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. That kernel takes a different approach though -- it makes glibc compatible with kernel 2.6.32 again, instead of my approach (pretending to be kernel 3.2.0). That would be useful, someday I'll integrate some of those changes into my patchset.

@Daniel15 said:
    I really wouldn't recommend it though, as more and more software is going to depend on newer kernel features. 2.6 is very old and is missing a large number of features... Even RHEL only backported bug fixes to 2.6, not new features. It's like trying to prolong the life of Windows XP by copying bits and pieces from Windows 10... It's not sustainable.

Yeah, this is just for fun really. Actually looking at the OpenVZ kernel patches, some features (at least, syscalls) are also backported into that kernel:

recvmmsg
    clock_adjtime
    name_to_handle_at
    open_by_handle_at
    syncfs
    sendmmsg
    setns
    process_vm_readv
    process_vm_writev

These syscalls have not been backported though:

prlimit64
    fanotify_init
    fanotify_mark

@yoursunny said:

@Daniel15 said:
    run fine if you shim newer system calls in glibc

Until you run a Go program, which directly invokes syscalls without going through glibc.
    Although, Go still supports kernel 2.6 for now.

Ah I see... I didn't consider that. And I certainly didn't consider statically-linked programs, which would have been compiled against the distro-standard glibc. Luckily not many utilities are statically linked, but yeah I see the problem now.

@BlaZe said:
    OV6 in 2021 :confused:

Just move on. Utilize your time, money & efforts into something more useful.

Okay... I just wanted to scratch an itch. I agree that it's not very useful :lol:

• wpyogawpyoga Member

@ehhthing said:
    I think you're being too generous to KVM here. I would argue that KVM is closer to entry level, although on a low-end budget I suppose it's a bit more "premium".

Why is that? I mean, what would you consider "premium"? A KVM instance can do almost everything that a bare metal instance can, right? Except for maybe nested virtualization if the provider doesn't enable it.

This is OT but I'm a bit curious, since performance benchmarks are lacking -- how does VMware compare to KVM?

@ehhthing said:
    Most of the popular VPS providers (DO, Vultr, etc.) only ship fully virtualized services (minus their kubernetes service I suppose), and I would consider DigitalOcean an "entry level" service for the most part.

What about OVH? They are cheaper than DO and Vultr, and also Linode...

• davidavi Member

@wpyoga Thanks for your open support request. Could you please share your script as I still have one openvz 6 storage VPS from time4vps where I have debian 9 and will try if I can upgrade to debian 10.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Security comes to my mind.

Or rather lack of. People always talk about performances and rarely talk about security.