Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner & OVH - Chia mining
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner & OVH - Chia mining

FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

Hi guys!
One of my customers requested a managed dedicated sever to use it for crypto (so, he requires as much as possible storage + at least 250 GB NVMe).
I had a look on Hetzner/OVH websites and both of them are out of stock for this kind of setup and later i've discovered in their T&C crypto mining it's forbidden.
My question is: Chia isn't mining, it's called farming. Are they the same?
How they are controlled?

Thank you! :smile:

Comments

• Doesn't matter what you call it. Farming, plotting or mining. Anything related to cryptocurrency that uses too much resources will fall under the umbrella of "Mining".

BTW, if you can do the plotting locally or somewhere else and use the VPS for chia farming only, it should be fine. Because afaik chia farming doesn't use too much cpu or ram

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2021

Nobody will rent you hardware for chia. SSD lifespan goes down to 40 days in worst situations according to chia reddit threads.

chia plotting is mining and local/remote storage is farming as theres only data reading involved in the latter. Its the plotting thats destroying the hardware.

Naturally ur client wants to rent since its cheaper to get started and the provider has to do the hardware replacement for free.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@attiqfsd said:
    Doesn't matter what you call it. Farming, plotting or mining. Anything related to cryptocurrency that uses too much resources will fall under the umbrella of "Mining".

BTW, if you can do the plotting locally or somewhere else and use the VPS for chia farming only, it should be fine. Because afaik chia farming doesn't use too much cpu or ram

Nice point of view but for me that interesting thing it's that all the specified products are out of stock because they for sure are used for mining, with or without their accept.

Will be lovely to have an answer from someone who has a server rented for Chia from one of them.

edited May 2021

I have rented sx series from hetzner but they blocked chia port before I had time to set it up. And its also against their rules now, so im using it for other stuff not related to crypto instead.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@stefeman said:
    I have rented sx series from hetzner but they blocked chia port before I had time to set it up. And its also against their rules now, so im using it for other stuff not related to crypto instead.

I guess bad customers still can bypass that just by creating a NFS Server over the hard drives and running chia software on another provider or just by using VPN Client inside their dedicated.

Thank you fo your comments!

edited May 2021

They can just tunnel their server via another vps to bypass it.

• tetechtetech Member

Blocking the port is a pretty good indication they don't want you to do it.