Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A little WordPress hack - to make WordPress backend load FASTER on Shared/VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A little WordPress hack - to make WordPress backend load FASTER on Shared/VPS

JasonMJasonM Member
edited May 2021 in General

Many Web Hosts complain that WordPress is CPU hogger, especially when its a shared server and lots of customers host WP sites and are frequently using WP-Admin section to add posts, edits, etc. Even if you have a small VPS with tons of WP blogs then too you'll find the WP backend loads slower than your frontend site. WP Admin section is most biggest culprit for this and for increasing server load too!

I've many WP sites hosted for clients on various LE hosts here and found that during certain times a day/night like peak hours or auto-backup times the servers become slow. So I was trying to find a way out to make the backend admin/editing-side of WP faster. As you know the user-side/frontend can be cached and runs faster thanks to cdn and other cache plugins but backend is sluggish and delayed!

So here I stumbled-upon a plugin on wordpress.org site. It's called WP ADMIN CACHE.
It is simple, light-weight, just set and forget.

The most appropriate settings which worked for my wordpress sites are below:

Note: Under settings, do not select "plugins" as it will cache plugins and it might give errors or create conflict. Also keep max-cache duration for 5 to 15 minutes depending upon your work in the backend area.

To boost performance, check 'load this plugin before others'.

I've tried this plugin for last 2 months. works well in latest WP install. So if you are wordpress fanboy you can try it, even web host can recommend it to their users if someone finds the backend lagging in terms of speed!

So how do you find out if this plugin works?
1. the admin pages load faster, like 20 to 25% faster.
2. a "cached" badge is shown at bottom of the page.

Also, if anybody knows other plugins/functions that can boost performance of wordpress backend, do comment here :smile:

Comments

• antpeksantpeks Member

It is a pity that the plugin is nit regulary updated in the last year. But nice find. 👍

• JasonMJasonM Member

@antpeks said: It is a pity that the plugin is nit regulary updated in the last year. But nice find. 👍

yup! not updated. but still works as of latest WP version.

• VJTVJT Member

The admin cache option is available in LSCache plugin as well.
    It does help In speeding up things.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • corbpiecorbpie Member

Fantastic, Google and my readers will love this then

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • darbdarb Member

Just a thought, but you probably don't want google or your readers in your admin area.

@corbpie said:

Fantastic, Google and my readers will love this then

Thanked by 1wpyoga
  • JasonMJasonM Member
    edited May 2021

@corbpie said: Fantastic, Google and my readers will love this then

actually it's for backend WP and not for google or site visitors which is frontend!

• corbpiecorbpie Member

Yea I was being sarcastic, does the admin pages loading half a second quicker make much noticeable difference?

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • JasonMJasonM Member

@corbpie said: does the admin pages loading half a second quicker make much noticeable difference?

Yup.. indeed they make a difference when you go to edit.php page, then go back to show all post page, or any other pages within admin section as they're cached with all php functions for atleast 5 minutes. So its like you are browsing static site rather than the heavy sql-query loaded site!

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran

@JasonM said: Many Web Hosts complain that WordPress is CPU hogger

I looked at the source code for this plugin and it essentially just prefetches particular pages of the admin section, so it can actually increase CPU usage in some cases (if you would have never actually visited those pages). Still seems like a reasonable idea though.