Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What justifies the price of an Intel server? Why aren't they dead yet?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What justifies the price of an Intel server? Why aren't they dead yet?

danielhmdanielhm Member

I am very confused. On one provider

A ~Ryzen 7 1700X is about 50 EUR/mo and has a CPU bench of 15543
A similarly priced Intel is Core i7-7700K has a bench of 9704.

We do a lot of CPU intensive work with headless browsers so need compute so run exclusively on the Ryzen servers.

Why would you pick an Intel? What am I missing?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I think it's safe to say you haven't captured the relevant variables to all users, as it would be difficult to account for that or assume them all in one sitting. Personally speaking, death to Intel.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2021

There are some stuff that do not even launch with ryzen on desktop side.. Perheaps due missing instruction sets or some ancient shit missing?

Some examples are old and super old PC x86 games, and specific SoC applications that have been decrypted and run at PC as they are..

I dont know if they exist in server application side.. probly not, but its likely mainly due that there is just not enough options since everyone buys used hardware, and Intel has been out there longer dominating the market. In the lowend dedicated server market, 2620v1, 2650v1, 2680v1 is still the way to go.

Also, i7 7700K has iGPU which can be used to transcode video or with Plex server, or for some entry level machine learning, or even remote gaming like Parsec.

• momkinmomkin Member

@danielhm said:
    There is some clients who requires Intel because of iGPU or Because of enterprise hardware plus IPMI console included mainly in XEON servers.

But in the end of you don't need any Intel requirements thing, just go with AMD is the best of course :)

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2021

@momkin said:

@danielhm said:
    There is some clients who requires Intel because of iGPU or Because of enterprise hardware plus IPMI console included mainly in XEON servers.

But in the end of you don't need any Intel requirements thing, just go with AMD is the best of course :)

I actually still prefer intel though in the lowend and mid range.. only at high end servers, I would go for AMD.

As for desktop, I have stuff even now that wont launch with Ryzen and there are no patches or fixes for them, so Im pretty much married with Intel.

• JasonMJasonM Member

For desktop home and office use I prefer Intel.
    For fast compute/games indeed AMD one's are better.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Don't care. I just go whichever is cheaper for my needs.

At this very moment, Intel is cheaper.

• zxrlhazxrlha Member

:D And because many people still think Intel is better.

In my field, I can see that people adopt AMD EPYC widely, so they really know that AMD CPUs are better.

• momkinmomkin Member

@stefeman said:

I was like you before Ryzen , i was married to Intel , anyone who says AMD i say not interested , i always stick with INTEL no matter what.

But now the game has changed i feel in deep love with AMD , from the servers to my home desktop.

AMD is just very fast compared to Intel.

I feel sorry for Intel :D

• xetsysxetsys Member

Intel quicksync, especially 7th gen+ is great for plex servers. AMD server can't match the transcoding capability of an IGPU unless coupled with a dedicated GPU.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Intel owns the enterprise work load market.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jbiloh said: Intel owns the enterprise work load market.

Though this probably has less to do with their hardware and more to do with their relationships and marketing prowess.

As a parallel, consider law enforcement handguns. S&W and Beretta are not as good as Sig or H&K and Glock. But they have programs around trade-ins, holster credit, training, etc. and tailor their sales to make it easy for government purchasers. Tons of small police departments pack a S&W M&P or a Beretta even though they're sub-optimum choices for this reason.

Glock couldn't crack the US LEO market until they added those things and then they were a big hit.

OTOH, S&W hasn't sold anything to the military in decades while Sig now supplies military handguns. OTOH (if you're a three-handed mutant), H&K often wins small special forces contracts because those small teams have special exceptions to buy what they want and generous budgets, so they buy the best.

Sometimes it's about how you sell as much as what you sell. Intel's marketing dollars campaigns and deep relationships with big vendors like Dell, HP, etc. and their component providers give them a huge edge in enterprise computing.

• @jar said:
    I think it's safe to say you haven't captured the relevant variables to all users, as it would be difficult to account for that or assume them all in one sitting. Personally speaking, death to Intel.

I don't care about all users. Why would I even consider an Intel given my workload? Am I missing something or is it really that Intel sucks for high performance compute requirements?

• @deank said:
    Don't care. I just go whichever is cheaper for my needs.

At this very moment, Intel is cheaper.

Cheaper absolute or cheaper per unit of compute?

• @momkin said:

@danielhm said:

In what situation is having an Intel a requirement? I'm curious.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@raindog308 said:

@jbiloh said: Intel owns the enterprise work load market.

Though this probably has less to do with their hardware and more to do with their relationships and marketing prowess.

Yes, that. Plus most enterprises are risk-averse and "new player" for them translates to 'risk' (and yes to them AMD is (like) a new player). Another factor is that any kind of change tends to be very expensive because of internal processes and routines changes, training, etc, plus AMD's biggest strength, performance actually doesn't mean a lot to most enterprises, neither does AMD's other big advantage, price, because enterprises tick in terms of TCO (as opposed to device cost).

That said intel's broken cycle together with AMD gaining weight might change the situation - slowly, of course.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@danielhm said:
    Cheaper absolute or cheaper per unit of compute?

Cheaper for its purpose.

If I want an office rig, an Intel CPU is better because all of them has iGPU, excluding the need for a dGPU.

And weirdly AMD CPU prices are pretty high in Canada at the moment whereas Intel chips are dirt cheap.

I myself have a 3900X rig. I built it few years ago before Covid. Intel didn't have anything to compete with that CPU, so I chose AMD.

I am not a fanboy of either. I just choose the right CPU for different purposes.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jsg said: Yes, that. Plus most enterprises are risk-averse and "new player" for them translates to 'risk'

This is the old "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" mentality.

I've seen it in large enterprises. Player X is cheaper than IBM or Microsoft or whoever, but if you go with them and it doesn't work or there are issues, you get blamed. If you go with IBM or Microsoft or whoever the established, dominant vendor is, the vendor gets blamed, not you. Your average IT decision-maker is more interested in preserving his or her salary than striking out in a new direction.

@jsg said: AMD's biggest strength, performance actually doesn't mean a lot to most enterprises

In large compute farms (i.e., where you have thousands of blades under VMware), usually CPU is not the limiting factor but rather how much RAM is on the blade, storage performance, and weird licensing rules that force you to segregate things. Usually, when you look at performance graphs, CPU is not pegging. Always exceptions of course but for your average business, CPU ceased to be the limiting factor a long time ago.

• @raindog308 said:

@jsg said: Yes, that. Plus most enterprises are risk-averse and "new player" for them translates to 'risk'

This is the old "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" mentality.

I've seen it in large enterprises. Player X is cheaper than IBM or Microsoft or whoever, but if you go with them and it doesn't work or there are issues, you get blamed. If you go with IBM or Microsoft or whoever the established, dominant vendor is, the vendor gets blamed, not you. Your average IT decision-maker is more interested in preserving his or her salary than striking out in a new direction.

@jsg said: AMD's biggest strength, performance actually doesn't mean a lot to most enterprises

In large compute farms (i.e., where you have thousands of blades under VMware), usually CPU is not the limiting factor but rather how much RAM is on the blade, storage performance, and weird licensing rules that force you to segregate things. Usually, when you look at performance graphs, CPU is not pegging. Always exceptions of course but for your average business, CPU ceased to be the limiting factor a long time ago.

I found this at Quora because I suddenly got interested about the phrase.

I once worked in a very heavily IBM influenced IT department. Specifically, I worked on AIX systems, and WebSphere.

It fell to me (as the junior guy on the team) to evaluate an IBM product vs an opensource alternative. The case for the opensource alternative was staggering (in my opinion) and bolstered by the fact that the developers were using the opensource product to develop with! Costs were lower, the pipeline to implementation would be cleaner.... everything said "go open source!"

The company went IBM. Management wanted IBM's support. With open source, we were on our own. With IBM, they would get IBM's famous support. I made the coment that the cost of the IBM solution was effectively my entire salary for a year... they could hire somone to support just this one installation for what the IBM solution cost.

In hindsight, that may not have been a good argument to make. I found myself without a job a few months later, along with several other people in my department. It was part of a "cost saving reduction." The irony has never been lost on me.

IBM has a reputation, and that reputation is that if you buy an IBM product, you're getting a stable, bankable product. Senior management won't fire you for choosing the reliable solution. You could take a risk on the alternatives, and hey, those might play out.... or they might not. As David Norris says, it's a FUD tactic and it works well on managers.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@raindog308 said: This is the old "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" mentality.

I've seen this play out over and over the past decade.

That said, I can actually trace some of my early success in hosting (back when we were running game servers at "Velocity Servers") to our decision to adopt the AMD Opteron early. Most of our competitors were still using netburst Xeons and the Opterons smoked them, offering double or better real world performance - especially when it came to kernel time keeping which is very important when running quality came servers on older games.