Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of a VPN Service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thinking of a VPN Service

DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

Soooo I got this awesome VPN name and want to use it.
BUT I got no idea where to start.
Any pointers or ????

Comments

• tolovalltolovall Member
    edited May 2021

:)

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • asasdasasd Member
                                                              @DataIdeas-Josh
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa | a
    8   8               8               8           8                   8 | 8
    8   8   aaaaaaaaa   8   aaaaa   aaaa8aaaa   aaaa8   aaaaa   aaaaa   8 V 8
    8               8       8   8           8           8   8   8       8   8
    8aaaaaaaa   a   8aaaaaaa8   8aaaaaaaa   8aaaa   a   8   8   8aaaaaaa8   8
    8       8   8               8           8   8   8   8   8           8   8
    8   a   8aaa8aaaaaaaa   a   8   aaaaaaaa8   8aaa8   8   8aaaaaaaa   8   8
    8   8               8   8   8       8           8           8       8   8
    8   8aaaaaaaaaaaa   8aaa8   8aaaa   8   aaaaa   8aaaaaaaa   8   aaaa8   8
    8           8       8   8       8   8       8           8   8           8
    8   aaaaa   8aaaa   8   8aaaa   8   8aaaaaaa8   a   a   8   8aaaaaaaaaaa8
    8       8       8   8   8       8       8       8   8   8       8       8
    8aaaaaaa8aaaa   8   8   8   aaaa8aaaa   8   aaaa8   8   8aaaa   8aaaa   8
    8           8   8           8       8   8       8   8       8           8
    8   aaaaa   8   8aaaaaaaa   8aaaa   8   8aaaa   8aaa8   aaaa8aaaaaaaa   8
    8   8       8           8           8       8   8   8               8   8
    8   8   aaaa8aaaa   a   8aaaa   aaaa8aaaa   8   8   8aaaaaaaaaaaa   8   8
    8   8           8   8   8   8   8           8               8   8       8
    8   8aaaaaaaa   8   8   8   8aaa8   8aaaaaaa8   aaaaaaaaa   8   8aaaaaaa8
    8   8       8   8   8           8           8   8       8               8
    8   8   aaaa8   8aaa8   aaaaa   8aaaaaaaa   8aaa8   a   8aaaaaaaa   a   8
    8   8                   8           8               8               8   8
    8   8aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa8aaaaaaaaaaa8aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa8aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa8aaa8
    @DataIdeas-Josh's VPN service

• GayRunGayRun Member

Use whmcs to interface to v2ray

• tolovalltolovall Member
    edited May 2021

You need to find upstream providers that can provide the networks
    You need multiple locations

OR

You become ivacy reseller.

AND

You need a website
    You need browser extensions

• drizbodrizbo Member

Buy 10 "unmetered" 3$ VPS's and you're more or less set right?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@GayRun said:

A little problem is that his domain has to go with WireGuard.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said:

@GayRun said:

A little problem is that his domain has to go with WireGuard.

I actually have a better domain than that for what I was wanting to use.

• tjntjn Member

A couple of things I faced:

• It's more "fun" than offering other products (hosting/vps/dedi/consulting, etc...), things move faster and are usually easier to resolve
    • Everyone wants an "app" or installer
    • Everybody wants multiple locations, but only end up using the one
    • You will receive a lot of abuse reports, c&d's, and requests for "more information"
    • Constant game of cat and mouse with Netflix + other streaming platforms to keep your IP's working + the tickets that creates
    • PPTP is still in demand, seriously 🤦‍♂️
    • Account sharing is high
    • "Do you have a killswitch?" and an endless stream of other DNS related questions
    • Don't underestimate how annoying it is to compile docs/instructions for every device and protocol on the planet
    • Sometimes difficult to compete with the "lifetime VPN for you and your entire bloodline for $2" deals
    • Set your billing's anti-fraud level to "paranoid"
    Thanked by 2fragpic alilet
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2021

I plan to invest 200-300€ to some neat looking VPN app, buy a few VPS servers around the world, load them up to the app for free, limit all speeds per users to 10Mbps, load the app full of admob ads or facebook ads, or both and even send ads via push notifications.

Absolutely no premium or anything, just 100% free app to use with your phone over openvpn with 10Mbps speed limits. I estimate the operating costs to be around 50 to 100€ per month and ad revenue is probly enough to cover it multiple times even with little amount of users limited to few thousands installions.

For Asia traffic, I'll just get 3 of cheapest contabo servers with each having 32TB of bandwidth and unmetered 100Mbps per month, so thats totally enough even if it grows. For other locations, I'll just use cheapest OVH VPS servers as they are also unmetered. Then sit back and count admob / facebook ads money and ocassionally send some stupid ads via push notification for extra money.

Ratings would remain high as the tunnel "just works" without any registering etc.. I expect that there would be little to no abuse since I'd block pretty much every single abuseable port directly and all users would be mobile based anyway. So airport traveles, other country travelers, cencorship evaders in third world countries and probly some forum spammers trying to troll at 4chan behind free vpn which I couldn't give two shits about.

Eventually it would grow so much that the speeds would be nearly overloaded, and thats when I would upgrade or add more VPS servers. But the ad revenue would continue exponentially too. I have a co-worker who does this without any company and gets around 1500-2300€ per month extra ad money on top of his real work with some vpn app he bought from fiverr for around 130€, so I'd even have a setup help.

That is the true idler way for passive income via VPN app lol. Anything beyond that is just waste of time and has a risk of failure and real costs in case you want to set it up.

• JioJio Member

@stefeman said: Ratings would remain high as the tunnel "just works" without any registering etc.. I expect that there would be little to no abuse since I'd block pretty much every single abuseable port directly and all users would be mobile based anyway. So airport traveles, other country travelers, cencorship evaders in third world countries and probly some forum spammers trying to troll at 4chan behind free vpn which I couldn't give two shits about.

One of my old coworker did this before. All ports blocked except 80/443. Of course, someone uploads extremely, extremely illegal content through it to imgur and 4chan, with terrible results.

edited May 2021

@Jio said:

@stefeman said: Ratings would remain high as the tunnel "just works" without any registering etc.. I expect that there would be little to no abuse since I'd block pretty much every single abuseable port directly and all users would be mobile based anyway. So airport traveles, other country travelers, cencorship evaders in third world countries and probly some forum spammers trying to troll at 4chan behind free vpn which I couldn't give two shits about.

One of my old coworker did this before. All ports blocked except 80/443. Of course, someone uploads extremely, extremely illegal content through it to imgur and 4chan, with terrible results.

This is why you do it with Softether server/config and log everything from connections, to headers and even to payloads in some cases. Logging headers constantly to remote location is easy enough via this and logging payloads is already overkill just to identify single connector.

The VPN app itself doesen't care at all whats running the server in the backend and I believe any free VPN apps at google play should have extensive if not full logging enabled.

• JioJio Member

@stefeman said: This is why you do it with Softether and log everything from connections, to headers and even to payloads in some cases. Logging headers constantly to remote location is easy enough via this and logging payloads is overkill to identify single connector is overkill anyway.

There were logs, but yeah, the problem happens if you are not in a well developed legal and justice system and the first thing they do is to raid you and fuck up your life, send police to your place of work, because they don't trust that you are not the one doing it and just "running a VPN service as a cover"

edited May 2021

@Jio said:

@stefeman said: This is why you do it with Softether and log everything from connections, to headers and even to payloads in some cases. Logging headers constantly to remote location is easy enough via this and logging payloads is overkill to identify single connector is overkill anyway.

There were logs, but yeah, the problem happens if you are not in a well developed legal and justice system and the first thing they do is to raid you and fuck up your life, send police to your place of work, because they don't trust that you are not the one doing it and just "running a VPN service as a cover"

I'd probly register a seperate Legal name with valid VAT for this stuff anyway so I'd be pretty much fine in Finland even if something like that happened as I'd have logs to present in any case. Legal Name is easy to get here and takes about 30 mins to get approved if you do it online via banking system since you identify yourself that way. This would also give me far greater protection for such situations, than if I were a private citzen. The downside is that my tax percentage would increase like mad.

We even have "Kevyt yrittäjyys" which is basically the same as above, but even lighter version of it and you'll still get a VAT number. the criteria to run that one is even more lax.

Overall companies categorizing as internet services and/or service providers have pretty good protection against extreme situations in Finland as @PulsedMedia is also able to tell as they run seedbox/torrent/piracy endorsing service :P

Woo... Finish maze. Done.

• UnixfyUnixfy Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said: Woo... Finish maze. Done.

Now show it with ASCII characters ;)

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Unixfy said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said: Woo... Finish maze. Done.

Now show it with ASCII characters ;)

That time would be better off used to kick-start his project :joy:

Thanked by 1Unixfy
  • Is the domain ending in .ba? :*

@amadex1337 said:
    Is the domain ending in .ba? :*

I mean I could always use my fapvpn.com domain.....

BUT I'm thinking more of hidemy.net domain

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@amadex1337 said:

hidemy.net sounds cool

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • I feel like there's alota existing companies in vpn market doing mostly the same thing to varying degrees. Would be neat to see something actually innovative security wise like for instance having all the servers running of ram drives so no trace of logs would be kept on power off. Basically gotta have a gimmic/hook to be unique i feel

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@amadex1337 said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@amadex1337 said:

hidemy.net sounds cool

if you want a c&d from hidemyass lol

Thanked by 2bulbasaur Ouji
  • @james50a said:
    I feel like there's alota existing companies in vpn market doing mostly the same thing to varying degrees. Would be neat to see something actually innovative security wise like for instance having all the servers running of ram drives so no trace of logs would be kept on power off. Basically gotta have a gimmic/hook to be unique i feel

Most of them keep logs.

• @tolovall said:

@james50a said:
    I feel like there's alota existing companies in vpn market doing mostly the same thing to varying degrees. Would be neat to see something actually innovative security wise like for instance having all the servers running of ram drives so no trace of logs would be kept on power off. Basically gotta have a gimmic/hook to be unique i feel

Most of them keep logs.

All*

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@codelock said:

@tolovall said:

@james50a said:

Most of them keep logs.

All*

Not all*

@SirFoxy said:

@amadex1337 said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@amadex1337 said:

hidemy.net sounds cool

How would I get a c&d from HideMyAss?

• waynechriswaynechris Member
    edited May 2021

If you are for personal use, you can use v2ray+nginx or v2ray+caddy together.
    If you plan to face the general public, you can build v2board or spanel for vpn sales and management. These two panels integrate user management, connection management, and collection management.

Thanked by 1ramonwap
  • caracalcaracal Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

hidemy.net sounds cool

The net is full of asses.

Therefore hidemy.net = hidemyass

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2021

Probably even easier if you just joined the many PureVPN Resellers like Ivacy/FastestVPN/iProVPN.. They help you whitelabel the app, and probably also offer the 24/7 support live chat across all their resellers. Website template and knowledge base is included, too iirc. That way we would also have first hand information on how their reseller program actually works (I only read a bit into it but did not sing up as a reseller, ultimately :P ).

That way you can use their infrastructure and apps: https://www.purevpn.com/rs/

Of course there is also VPNSecure reseller (white label) program although I think their own service is kinda bad already so PureVPN may be the better choice here:

Then again, Keepsolid being the best among the 3 (imho) also offers white label reselling soo... Pick your poison :) All three probably easier than spinning up your own.

@caracal said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

hidemy.net sounds cool

The net is full of asses.

Therefore hidemy.net = hidemyass

I see that they own the Trademark for HideMy.
    So yeah...
    Welp I guess fapVPN.. lol or AlienVPN?
    hmm.

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

AlienVPN would be nice name.