Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

best Hetzner datacenter for east coast US locations?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

best Hetzner datacenter for east coast US locations?

muddymuddy Member

I'm considering a Hetzner auction server to replace/consolidate a bunch of VPSes. I'm on the US east coast. What Hetzner location(s) should I be most strongly favoring as I look for a server?

Obviously, I want the closest location (lowest ping) that I can get, but I'll prioritize overall connectivity/reliability of a particular Hetzner location over distance if that's a factor.

any advice is appreciated!

additional note -- If I've missed any US dedicated server providers that now rival Hetzner in terms of price/value, please share. Thanks!

Comments

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

Germany location would be fine I guess.
    What kind of server specs are you looking at?

• muddymuddy Member

thanks @NetDynamics24 . My needs are pretty modest -- probably a couple hundred GB of fast (SSD or NVME) storage would work and are most important for my specific needs. Beyond that, bandwidth doesn't appear to be an issue with Hetzner, and as long as it has a decent CPU with at least 8-16 GB RAM, it should be fine. The lowest end Hetzner AX line server (AX41-NVME) looks to probably be way beyond adequate for me, but would offer a healthy amount of room for growth. I'm thinking something in the $50/month or less range should be adequate.

• xetsysxetsys Member

I have seen plenty reports that Helsinki works better for US customers

• Why not just take something in the US ?

• muddymuddy Member

@ben47955 I'm happy to look at US options. Any recommendations? I have looked at some options linked in other threads here on LET, but none seem to come close to Hetzner price/value.

• @muddy said:
    @ben47955 I'm happy to look at US options. Any recommendations? I have looked at some options linked in other threads here on LET, but none seem to come close to Hetzner price/value.

Of course Hetzner is hard to beat, but I think your user will benefit to have the server closer to them.

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2021

@muddy said:
    The lowest end Hetzner AX line server (AX41-NVME) looks to probably be way beyond adequate for me

If you can wait 2-4 weeks for it...

• muddymuddy Member

yeah, I saw that. I'm not in a huge hurry for this, as I'd need some time to plan the migrations anyway. But good to be aware of.