Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Ipad!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The New Ipad!

ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
edited March 2012 in General

So who plans on getting the new ipad?

Comments

• Not I sir! In all reality I've never bought anything from apple simply because price + 3 year old hardware = fail :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

Oh, I just won 40 of them or so browsing on internet recently.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited March 2012

Not me! I have an HP Touchpad running ICS and I'm content with it. I don't really use my tablet much since I'd prefer to use my desktop while at home, and my phone on the go.

Only bought the Touchpad since it was $99, I just don't see the tablet hype.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited March 2012

@DotVPS said: When was it released , I only just got the ipad2 :(.

It was announced today, not sure when it'll hit stores.

edit: Stores on March 16th?

• Pre-order is available now.

I went though the order process and once I attempted to add to cart I got this "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable" I refreshed and now it says they are updating the store.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited March 2012

@DotVPS said: What's the new "Features" like the iphone 4s from the iphone4 by any chance?

Higher resolution screen, faster processor, and a better camera. I don't think there will be any difference from the software end.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/07/new-ipad-vs-ipad-2/

IMO, Apple is failing to innovate.

@FTNChris said: I went though the order process and once I attempted to add to cart I got this "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable" I refreshed and now it says they are updating the store.

Their webserver is probably getting slammed.

• @DotVPS Skype :P

• For the same price as the old iPad, it really sucks if you've just recently bought an iPad 2! 4G does seem to be a nice addition though, now I want to see 4G on the iPhone!

• ZettaZetta Member

Well enjoy iOS, I'd rather not be shunned by Apple for jailbreaking and doing what I want with a device.

• vps6netvps6net Member
    edited March 2012

Someone remind me why I would want to spend $500 for an app launcher?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Nah, I was an Apple guy until I discovered Android... Perfectly what I need... It just does the things I want

• ZettaZetta Member
    edited March 2012

@netomx
    Apple - Your device is jailbroken? GTFO MY ITUNES AND APP STORE.
    Google - You rooted? Android is open source, we don't care.

• @FTNChris ... we all know it is on our list just cave and upgrade

Apple - Your device is jailbroken? GTFO MY ITUNES AND APP STORE.
    Google - You rooted? Android is open source, we don't care.

I don't really get your message

• @DotVPS said: 4G is the only thing i would purchase it for and as 4G isn't out in the UK yet... haha.

Cough LTE isn't 4G, even the people who make LTE don't even call it 4G, its 3.99G.

Its just a marketing scheme, LTE-Advanced is true 4G.

• @Zetta said: Google - You rooted? Android is open source, we don't care.

Business customers would disagree, they don't want root exploits in an OS.

@Daniel said: Business customers would disagree, they don't want root exploits in an OS.

You're right, just ask Motorola and HTC about that...

• @Daniel said: Cough LTE isn't 4G, even the people who make LTE don't even call it 4G, its 3.99G.

Its just a marketing scheme, LTE-Advanced is true 4G.

Eh, it's close enough really, LTE Advanced was finalized way too late by the ITU for carriers to implement. Companies needed an upgrade path 3-4 years ago, considering how long it takes to test and implement. I'm fine with calling HSPA+ 4g, getting 22mbit/s down and 4mbit/s up is good enough for me!

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited March 2012

@Kairus said: Eh, it's close enough really, LTE Advanced was finalized way too late by the ITU for carriers to implement. Companies needed an upgrade path 3-4 years ago, considering how long it takes to test and implement. I'm fine with calling HSPA+ 4g, getting 22mbit/s down and 4mbit/s up is good enough for me!

US carriers needed it a few years ago because their 3G implementations were awful (EV-DO ewwwww). Where as Europe has has HSPA networks for 10 years.

But in most cases HSPA+ will match the speed of LTE in the real-world. After all they end up getting sent down the same pipe when they get back to the base station, which is probably DSL which isn't going to get you above 20Mbps.

• @DotVPS said: @Daniel only you would put up on this :P

?

• @DotVPS said: Just the fact that your an apple geek , have you applied for a job in the genius bar?

Thanks, I guess?

I'm also pretty knowledgable on wireless standards, even though I come from Europe.

• pcanpcan Member

The 2048x1536 screen resolution of this new tablet is ideal for remote desktop. I actually bought a LEB Windows VM last year to use it as windows desktop for my ipad2. I squeezed a Windows 7 x64 plus office 2010 installation in 512 Mb Ram (with 1024Kb swap) and 10 Gb HDD space: this is half of the official Microsoft minimum hardware requirement, but disabling some services and enabling disk compression made the trick. Unfortunately, the ipad2 screen resolution is too low for productive Windows use. With the new Ipad, this arrangement will be more useful. I will also need a (slightly) more powerful Windows 7 capable LEB, but I found no offer for 20 Gb disk space, 1 Gb Ram and 1 core with price under the 100 USD/year mark.

• AdamAdam Member

@pcan said: I will also need a (slightly) more powerful Windows 7 capable LEB, but I found no offer for 20 Gb disk space, 1 Gb Ram and 1 core with price under the 100 USD/year mark.

You're better off asking providers directly.
    For example, I have no idea how good these guys are, but over at 123COM I was told they could setup Windows on their KVM range if I brought a valid key. (1gb ram, 20gb hdd -> £5/m)

• ZettaZetta Member
    edited March 2012

@pcan said: will also need a (slightly) more powerful Windows 7 capable LEB, but I found no offer for 20 Gb disk space, 1 Gb Ram and 1 core with price under the 100 USD/year mark.

Oh man, if you had $120, I would know the perfect offer...
    You'd better have your own license for that Windows though.

• Arrived via FedEx this afternoon. I love . :)

New Ipad

• jhjh Member

What do you actually use it for?

• @jtodd said: What do you actually use it for?

Like the other 2, just about everything. It comes in handy when on the road.

• I have to admit... the new iPad has a really good design. Also I hear the "4G" is good on it.

• jhjh Member

I'm tempted by the flashiness of it, but I don't think I'd use it much. Could you name a few things you use it for, and how it compares to a laptop for those things?

I already have a Macbook Air for when I'm away from home..

• @jtodd said: I'm tempted by the flashiness of it, but I don't think I'd use it much. Could you name a few things you use it for, and how it compares to a laptop for those things?

I already have a Macbook Air for when I'm away from home..

The iPad's portability is a + and when your driving down the road or in an area without wifi the 4G would work wonders with you. No having to worry about cords or battery life while tethering.

I use it for answering tickets and emails which require my attention, and I also do some development on the side.