Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Virtualization?!?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Virtualization?!?

pierrepierre Member
edited May 2021 in General

I honestly just want an opinion from others. Want to hear some feedback as I'm thinking of switching. If possible to leave a brief description about why you picked what you did.

Virtualization Poll
  1. What's your go-to virtualization73 votes
    1. Virtualizor
      15.07%
    2. VMware
      15.07%
    3. Proxmox
      50.68%
    4. SolusVM
      10.96%
    5. Other (reply with yours)
        8.22%

Comments

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

It depends..
    If it's for personal use then I think Proxmox is a good option for that.

For production use and if you have enough knowledge and resources then Openstack > Cloudstack > Proxmox

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

If you don't require a client-side panel, proxmox is best.
    Also there's Opennebula

• proxmox and vmware esxi

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@pierre said: I honestly just want an opinion from others. Want to hear some feedback as I'm thinking of switching. If possible to leave a brief description about why you picked what you did.

To some extent, you're comparing apples with oranges.

In your list, only VMware counts as a virtualization technology. The three others (Virtualizor, Proxmox, and SolusVM) aren't virtualization technologies as such but rather make use of a virtualization technology (often KVM).

• laobanlaoban Member

KVM with libvirt.

• JarryJarry Member

Virtualizator & SolusVM can be described as VPS-management platforms (control panels). VMware is company, but in case you mean VMware ESXi, it is complete virtualization solution, with own hypervisor and front-end. Proxmox is complete solution too, but using 3rd party hypervisors (kvm, lxc) bundled together.

So how can you pick something out of this? You can use any and every one of them including combinations, i.e. Virtualizator as front-end for Proxmox...

• VMware is a reliable virtualization solution with deep customization options and integration features for running Windows or almost any other OS

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • jlayjlay Member

@laoban said:
    KVM with libvirt.

ditto

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Real men use vmd.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@raindog308 said:
    Real men use vmd.

... but it's sad that each BSD cooks their own.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Does not exist.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Firecracker

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

You wanted to ask "Best Virtualization Manager" or control panel .. ?

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jsg said: ... but it's sad that each BSD cooks their own.

For OpenBSD, I think it's a mix of "we can't use OpenVZ/KVM and we are maniacal enough to not trust anyone else's code at this level". I just glanced (literally, as in about 30 seconds) at the FreeBSD docs and they apparently support Xen as a host. I suppose it would have been better if OpenBSD had taken Xen and hardened it and then everyone would have benefitted...but you know how the OpenBSD boys are about bringing big blocks of GPL into the project.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@pierre said:
    I honestly just want an opinion from others. Want to hear some feedback as I'm thinking of switching. If possible to leave a brief description about why you picked what you did.

what are you using today, and why would you switch?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@raindog308 said:

@jsg said: ... but it's sad that each BSD cooks their own.

For OpenBSD, I think it's a mix of "we can't use OpenVZ/KVM and we are maniacal enough to not trust anyone else's code at this level". I just glanced (literally, as in about 30 seconds) at the FreeBSD docs and they apparently support Xen as a host. I suppose it would have been better if OpenBSD had taken Xen and hardened it and then everyone would have benefitted...but you know how the OpenBSD boys are about bringing big blocks of GPL into the project.

FreeBSD has 'Bhyve' and NetBSD 'vmm' (iirc). So the OpenBSD guys could have done an "enhanced Bhyve" and both "major" BSDs could have had a benefit. That said I'm not much of a BSD user and pretty much use FreeBSD mainly for my benchmark for one single reason: it's more honest than linux (re disk numbers).

But I find the XEN question interesting. I remember that some years ago XEN seemed to be the hypervisor. A few safe (and rather exotic) hypervisors followed it/tried to be compatible and most people in academia seemed to strongly favor it and quite a few worked on it. But it seems that XEN (a) somehow fell out of favor, and (b) had become a quite complex and large beast, so maybe that played a role in OpenBSD's decision too.
    But again, although I met (and worked with) some hypervisors in my work I'm by no means "Mr. Hypervisor" and your guess is as good as mine.

• mike1smike1s Member
    edited May 2021

Proxmox or Hyper-V if you don't need a client side panel, Virtualizor + KVM if you do.

• VMware is most suitable for me, much familiar.