Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

6$ VPS 5GB RAM + 2 CPU | Short IPv4 | 160Gbps DDoS protection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

6$ VPS 5GB RAM + 2 CPU | Short IPv4 | 160Gbps DDoS protection

Neil-SFNeil-SF Member, Host Rep

Discord Community: https://discord.gg/84ZBCGd
Telegram Channel: https://t.me/sonicfast
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8VrV_s_v5wRLiZlOjltdzw
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SonicFast9

SonicFast is back with an offer that you've loved in the past! This time, we've also increased our total anti-DDoS mitigation capacity to 160Gbps.

The deal

• 5GB RAM
  • 2x CPU Core
  • 20GB SSD NVMe Space
  • 1TB bandwidth
  • 1Gbps uplink
  • 1x IPv4
  • OpenVZ 7/SolusVM
  • €5.30/m (6.24$)
  • ORDER NOW

Network Info:
Test IP: 2.56.8.5

Node specifications:
- Dual Xeon E5-2680v3
- 128 or 256GB ram DDR4
- NVMe SSD
- Premium Network

Comments

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited May 2021

Short IPv4

Took me a while to understand, I was first like "there is no IPv4 at all I guess", then I've checked Test IP :D

Marketing this is beyond my understanding, but this is 'new' here I guess, maybe someone will bite.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Just for the IP :p I want to get one. But, do you offer any small package ?

Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • JioJio Member
    edited May 2021

do you have any short IP without sonicfast on it? on akamai I get weird .it geo, possible to get a zare one?

• tetechtetech Member

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

Smaller + KVM would be interesting!

• @tetech said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

Smaller + KVM would be interesting!

Yes, definitely KVM at least.

• So nobody like OpenVZ huh?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@Mario-SF said:

• NVMe SSD

• edited May 2021

@Neoon said:

@Mario-SF said:

• NVMe SSD

<gif based implication that it can't be both>

NVMe is an interface standard for accessing non-volatile memory.

SSD is solid-state memory (memory with no moving parts that does not need constant refresh to keep current state).

While I can't think of much else you'd have attached via NVMe (battery backed RAM if you don't count that as solid-state because the RAM on its own is volatile?) saying "NVMe SSD" is not entirely tautologous, and certainly isn't contradictory.

Some NVMe SSD devices (slower ones generally) use exactly the same internal chipset and memory as their SATA equivalents, differing only in the interface electronics.

(it would be helpful if hosts were more specific when they say "SSD" and state "SATA SSD" which is what they invariably mean)

Thanked by 2Pixels drunkendog

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@Neoon said:

@Mario-SF said:

• NVMe SSD

<gif based implication that it can't be both>

NVMe is an interface standard for accessing non-volatile memory.

SSD is solid-state memory (memory with no moving parts that does not need constant refresh to keep current state).

While I can't think of much else you'd have attached via NVMe (battery backed RAM if you don't count that as solid-state because the RAM on its own is volatile?) saying "NVMe SSD" is not entirely tautologous, and certainly isn't contradictory.

Some NVMe SSD devices (slower ones generally) use exactly the same internal chipset and memory as their SATA equivalents, differing only in the interface electronics.

(it would be helpful if hosts were more specific when they say "SSD" and state "SATA SSD" which is what they invariably mean)

See, its much simpler.

1. You have a SSD
    2. You have a wannabe NVMe with SATA speeds
    3. You have a NVMe

So what is it? Until not declared, its schrödinger.

• zxrlhazxrlha Member

@Neoon said:

1. You have a SSD
    3. You have a NVMe

SSD is the type of the drive, and NVMe is the interface to the drive.
    NVMe is just an interface, like USB or SATA, but much faster.

Thanked by 1drunkendog

@zxrlha said:

@Neoon said:

1. You have a SSD
    3. You have a NVMe

SSD is the type of the drive, and NVMe is the interface to the drive.
    NVMe is just an interface, like USB or SATA, but much faster.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2021

@Neoon said:
    See, its much simpler.

1. You have a SSD
    3. You have a NVMe

I don't think that's right.

1. You have a SATA SSD
    2. You have a M.2 or U.2 SATA SSD (not NVMe), SATA speeds but the connector style used by NVMe drives.
    3. You have an M.2 or U.2 NVMe SSD

If he had said M.2 / U.2 SSD it would indeed be ambiguous. NVMe isn't.

• @jackb said:

@Neoon said:
    See, its much simpler.

1. You have a SSD
    3. You have a NVMe

1. You have a SATA SSD
    2. You have a M.2 or U.2 SATA SSD (not NVMe), SATA speeds but the connector style used by NVMe drives.

Absolutely, NVMe is the protocol like AHCI.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur drunkendog

@jackb said:

@Neoon said:
    See, its much simpler.

1. You have a SSD
    3. You have a NVMe

1. You have a SATA SSD

SSDs are sold as SSDs.
    NVMe are getting sold as NVMe, it dosen't matter what connector they have, they just getting labeled as NVMe.

Most of the hosts here won't specify this either, my entire point was, its unclear what you buy here.

• @Neoon said:
    Most of the hosts here won't specify this either, my entire point was, its unclear what you buy here.

The people it is unclear to, are not the people who lack understanding. To quote someone's reaction above:

1. SSD = solid state drive. If no interface is specified, assume the slowest likely (SATA) to avoid disappointment (if it were something better they'd say).
    2. SATA SSD = solid state drive, definitely using a SATA interface.
    3. NVMe SSD = solid state drive, definitely on an NVMe interface. It might not be a good SSD but it is definitely an SSD on an NVMe interface, no ambiguity there.

Of course there could be other variables that we have to make assumptions about due to lack of info in the posting:

1. Local drive(s) or a SAN? (unless otherwise specified, or a massive cloud provider, I'd assume local drives in each node - actually the wording of the node spec list here strongly suggests, though doesn't explicitly state, local drives in each node)
    2. Any RAID? (unless otherwise specified, assume zero redundancy or, worse, RAID0 or naive JBOD)
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited May 2021

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@Neoon said:

1. SSD = solid state drive. If no interface is specified, assume the slowest likely (SATA) to avoid disappointment (if it were something better they'd say).
    3. NVMe SSD = solid state drive, definitely on an NVMe interface. It might not be a good SSD but it is definitely an SSD on an NVMe interface, no ambiguity there.

Correct.

As you say, if a provider simply advertises "SSD", then it's very probably SATA SSD (= SSD via a SATA interface).

If the interface is NVMe, then this is an important detail that is worth highlighting, and so a provider will advertise "NVMe" (but it would be correct to write "NVMe SSD" as well).

I would merely add that there is also SAS SSD (= SSD via an SAS inferface), which is generally more performant than SATA SSD. I don't think that many providers offer SAS SSD, but if they do, it's worth highlighting.

(I believe that netcup use SAS SSD -- their SSDs are very performant. PHP-Friends also offered SAS SSD on some of their previous generation of VPSes.)

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@Neoon said:

The people it is unclear to, are not the people who lack understanding. To quote someone's reaction above:

Of course there could be other variables that we have to make assumptions about due to lack of info in the posting:

1. Local drive(s) or a SAN? (unless otherwise specified, or a massive cloud provider, I'd assume local drives in each node - actually the wording of the node spec list here strongly suggests, though doesn't explicitly state, local drives in each node)
    2. Any RAID? (unless otherwise specified, assume zero redundancy or, worse, RAID0 or naive JBOD)

Technically its correct yes, but that was not my point.
    Because of the marketing, people tend to use NVMe SSD for everything from SSD to NVMe and in between.

My point still stands, you don't know what you buy here.

• Neil-SFNeil-SF Member, Host Rep

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

We do have a smaller KVM plan for 2€/m you get 512MB ram, 1 Core and 5GB SSD NVMe.

If you specify in the order notes that you want the small IP, I will arrange you a 2.56.8.x ;)

• edited May 2021

@Neoon said:
    Because of the marketing, people tend to use NVMe SSD for everything from SSD to NVMe and in between.

There is no "NVMe to SSD" nor "in between". I'll not repeat the explanation.

Show me real live examples of hosts saying "NVMe SSD" when they mean anything other than one or more SSDs connected to their host via NVMe, and I'll consider looking at your point with less incredulity.

My point still stands, you don't know what you buy here.

No, it doesn't, IMO.

• @angstrom said:
    I would merely add that there is also SAS SSD

Ah, yes. I often forget about SAS as it is far less common in my experience. IIRC it is more common as a standard in network storage arrays, partly because it better supports hot-swap.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: No, it doesn't, IMO.

It does. It's like the host not understanding the difference between VDS and VPS.
    Some say it's a VPS/VDS, what they usually mean in reality is that it's shared but you can blast it 100% 24/7, but you will most likely experience some steal.

Now once again hosts don't understand the difference between NVMe and M.2 SSD, they just call both NVMe SSD, but real NVMe runs on a PCIe lane, and a M.2 SSD runs on SATA. SATA is significantly slower than PCIe thus resulting in way slower speeds.

• tjntjn Member

@Mario-SF the OS templates you have on offer are... a little ancient :D

• @skorupion said:
    they just call both NVMe SSD

As requested above: please cite examples of hosts that do that, which don't look utterly sketchy for 101 other reasons too? Otherwise I'm calling that made up and claiming to be right because technically right is the best sort of right: NVMe is an interface standard, SSD is a drive type, there is absolutely nothing wrong with calling something an "NVMe SSD" to differentiate between it and a SATA SSD or SAS SSD or USB-hosted SSD.

Actually that last one is a chance to be deceptive, there are USB hosted NVMe adaptors so you could technically have an NVMe SSD hosted on a USB2 bus... Though I doubt anyone has tried!

Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@tjn said:
    @Mario-SF the OS templates you have on offer are... a little ancient :D

Coming soon: EOL'ed OS template Hall of Shame

Thanked by 1tjn
  • nice price

• Neil-SFNeil-SF Member, Host Rep

@skorupion said: NVMe runs on a PCIe lane

Infact we call it NVMe SSD, and runs on PCIe Gen3 with around 3GB/s speeds.

Thanked by 1drunkendog