Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100TB Storage for Backup - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100TB Storage for Backup

2»

Comments

• @xalyy said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

@xalyy said:

@default said:
    So many storage requests lately. It must be the new breakfast with milk from farm and chia cereals.

Man your stupid Chia accusing comments on every storage request discussion starting to get really cringy

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it ain't a cow.

All I heard from your comment was bla bla bla bla bla bla
    But tell me more

If you are hearing stuff by reading my comment - I suggest you seek professional help.
    Our LowEndPsychiatric clinic is probably not good enough to help.

• xalyyxalyy Member

@NobodyInteresting said:

@xalyy said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

@xalyy said:

@default said:
    So many storage requests lately. It must be the new breakfast with milk from farm and chia cereals.

Man your stupid Chia accusing comments on every storage request discussion starting to get really cringy

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it ain't a cow.

But tell me more

If you are hearing stuff by reading my comment - I suggest you seek professional help.
    Our LowEndPsychiatric clinic is probably not good enough to help.

Ok

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited June 2021

@Daniel15 said:
    For that much space, it would likely be cheaper in the long run to buy your own equipment and colocate it. The only issue is having to replace the drives when they die.

@Francisco said:
    Have you seen the price of drives...?

Francisco

I think @Daniel15 nailed it. Yes, @Francisco is right, (not only) drive prices are insane now, but that's irrelevant because they are high for everyone. Theoretically there probably are some providers with a nice "old" stock but I doubt that they wouldn't ask todays storage capacity prices.

So, I think it boils down to large investment now and then saving in the long run -vs- spreading the cost and no high investment but paying more all in all over time.

But there is another point that IMO deserves some attention: dependency and trust. trust as in "can you and do you really trust some provider to do everything properly?" (cough HostSolutions *cough) and dependency as in "are you sure the country your data are stored and your country will never become enemies, sanction on another, etc, and that both your and your providers connectivity will always be good and high enough, etc"?

If it's "just some stuff" you have a situation that is quite different from "those data must absolutely never be lost nor inaccessible".
    Fun fact: some governments actually print out (on special paper) their data. that is their most trusted doomsday backup solution. I kid you not.

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited June 2021

@xalyy said:
    But tell me more

Took you exactly a month to come up with that zinger image

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • Maybe one day Hosthatch will offer their $10/month 10 TB plan again, and you could stack 10 of them to get 100TB for $100/month. I think they said they likely won't offer that plan again any time soon due to the price of hard drives.

@jsg said: So, I think it boils down to large investment now and then saving in the long run -vs- spreading the cost and no high investment but paying more all in all over time.

Yeah... This type of decision comes up a lot in life, mostly when considering to rent/loan/lease vs buy (eg. houses, cars, servers, etc). In general, if you're going to have the thing for a long period of time, buying makes more sense than renting, whereas if you only need it short-term or want to change it a lot (eg. move house often, get a new car every few years, etc.), renting may be better.

This is an extreme case, but Instagram saved a loooot of money once they moved from Amazon EC2 and S3 to Facebook data centers after the acquisiton: https://www.wired.com/2014/06/facebook-instagram/

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

Remember that for any backup storage methods with less than the likes of Google Cloud/AWS S3 services which have redundant high availability built into the price, then you would need to factor in the cost of backing up the backups too.

As backup data set size increases, the cost for backup of less redundant backups will drive prices closer or over the amount Google Cloud/AWS S3 like service prices eventually.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@jsg said:

Fun fact: some governments actually print out (on special paper) their data. that is their most trusted doomsday backup solution. I kid you not.

Wasn't tape? I thought they had data backups on tapes.

• You can buy 1600 64GB USB sticks

Thanked by 1dystopia
  • xalyyxalyy Member
    edited June 2021

@jmgcaguicla said:

@xalyy said:
    But tell me more

Took you exactly a month to come up with that zinger image

Well I dont have the patience and time to browse this troll forum every day so yeah.
    Literally only ever come up here if I need something.

• how's the chia backups going

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Too busy plotting chia, OP ain't listening.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@default said:

@jsg said:

Wasn't tape? I thought they had data backups on tapes.

Nope, not those (few) governments/agencies. Reason: tapes share many of the spindle problems (magnetic media).