Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyShared and PHP8? Can I do it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyShared and PHP8? Can I do it?

dergelbedergelbe Member
edited May 2021 in General

I have some wordpress domains with BuyShared in Las Vegas. Just saw their cPanel has "PHP 8".

I just moved from 5.6 to 7.4 - how about PHP 8 ? Will that work fine or it too early?

Comments

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited May 2021

PHP8 is working really well. If your WordPress installation works with it, depends on the WordPress add-ons you're using. A fresh, plain installation works without problems.

Thanked by 1dergelbe
  • JasonMJasonM Member

I've recently upgraded to PHP 8 and its running fine. Just check that you are using updated wordpress theme, and updated plugins that support php 8. Most Common and popular plugins on wordpress.org (like rank math, yoast, wp cache, elementor, etc) are all upgraded to support php 8. Not-so-popular plugins or plugins that are not frequently updated by their creators will not support few new php 8 functions and will break the site. So better check "change log" of each theme/plugin and then switch over!

Thanked by 1dergelbe
  • dergelbedergelbe Member
    edited May 2021

I usually have some older plugins running. One can go back if php8 throws errors, right?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

This thread needs phpselektor jokes.

• Last feedback: PHP 8 does not work on some of my WP site. And yes, I can go back to PHP 7.4

• JasonMJasonM Member

yes, php 7.4 is safest option you can run for next one or two years until all themes/plugins get fixed/updated for php 8.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited May 2021

@dergelbe said:

I just moved from 5.6 to 7.4

What?? I didn't realise people were still running PHP 5 in prod. PHP 5.6 has been unsupported/EOL since the end of 2018, meaning you've been running an unsupported PHP version with potential security issues for a long time.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Should be just fine :)

We have plenty of people on it. It should be enabled on all nodes at this point.

Francisco