Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a Redhat CodeReady Container Server EU/CH only
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a Redhat CodeReady Container Server EU/CH only

Hi,

After getting annoyed with my current provider I thought I could try and outsource this request.
We need a box that can run CRC (=Openshift) in a proven way. Sick of trying out various OSs and something else breaks each time. I would need a screenshot or some other proof that it works, takes about 20 minutes to install, most of which is waiting around.

Minimum system requirements: 16GB RAM, 100GB HDD, 4-core CPU.
Preferably invoice; some kind of tech support is appreciated, even though I'm handy with most *nix stuff.
I don't have a target price in mind but DigitalOcean and Vultr have good-specced machines for 80$/mo.
It has to be located in the EU or Switzerland, that's a requirement.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• fragpicfragpic Member
    edited May 2021

I had this exact issue. F***ing Red Hat purposefully makes it harder if you want to host things yourself. Spent days trying to get Eclipse Che to run but I could never get it fully working.
    Please post an update here once you get manage to make it work.

• MivoCloudMivoCloud Member, Host Rep

We can offer you a Dedicated Server with the following configuration:
    Intel XEON E5640
    RAM: 16GB
    Disk: 1024GB HDD
    Bandwidth: 30 TB (1 Gbps)

Price: 54 EUR

Order Now or contact me on LowEndTalk

• @MivoCloud sorry, but it has to be EU or preferably CH. Moldova is in Europe but not EU.

• Just to spare some people the trouble of trying: Ubuntu is not officially supported and currently does not work in a proper way (ha-proxy and vsock conflict). RHCOS and CentOS have issues when running under KVM, possibly related to AMD processors. Virtualization extensions need to be enabled for the vCPU, if running under a VM.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@tachyonic said: Preferably invoice

Do you mean you would prefer post-paid?

@tachyonic said: RHCOS and CentOS have issues when running under KVM, possibly related to AMD processors

Do you know which distro works best? I presume RHEL is their preference, but any others suitable? Happy to try an install to check how well it works - we're not using AMD and have host passthrough, nested virt, etc enabled.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

If you have had issues with virtualized environments in the past, perhaps a dedicated machine is more appropriate, if your comparing prices against DO/Vultr - Hetzner may be good and falls well under that.

An EX42-NVMe (i7 6700k, 64GB RAM, 2 x 512GB NVMe disk) is 39 euros + VAT if hosted in Germany. (there is a setup fee however)

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

oracle cloud should do ya good

• Thank you everyone for the replies.

@Mr_Tom no, prepaid is fine. But there might be some providers here serving on the gray market (i.e. no contract, no invoice) and I would like to avoid those for this job. I've tested on a BM with Fedora (33?) and it looked ok. Also there was a blog post about someone installing it on a DigitalOcean with Fedora 32 and it also worked ok: https://evanshortiss.com/code-ready-containers-on-digital-ocean

Basically the CRC VM (it's using libkvm virsh) should boot and the demo page should show up, then the machine is 90% there. There is another test that was failing on Ubuntu due to ha-proxy and dnsmasq and resolvd fighting each other. A basic quickstart deployment (any web page from the tutorial, takes ~5 mins) should resolve to its respective domain, i.e. the internal CRC DNS should work.

@LordSpock exactly, double-virtualization might cause issues with CRC. Hetzner looks good, don't know how I missed it.

@skorupion I really don't understand the OCI pricing. Their online calculator shows me order codes without telling me what they are.

Thanked by 1Mr_Tom

@tachyonic said: no, prepaid is fine

Ah okay, just clarifying

I figured Fedora would likely work. I'll have a play.

Can confirm it appears to work in a Fedora KVM:

• Cool, thank you for the time, wrote you a PM.

Thanked by 1Mr_Tom
  • MivoCloudMivoCloud Member, Host Rep

@tachyonic said:
    @MivoCloud sorry, but it has to be EU or preferably CH. Moldova is in Europe but not EU.

Hello,
    We can offer you a Dedicated Server in Romania (Romania is the country in the European Union).