Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest dedi that supports VMware
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest dedi that supports VMware

taronyutaronyu Member
edited November 2013 in Requests

I want to get some experience with VMware so I'm searching for a cheap dedi that supported by vmware. (I heard vmware is really picky)

<$15 is awesome, but lets stay a bit realistic. <$30 :)

If there aren't any I will use my old laptop.

Shoot :)

Comments

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited November 2013

Hi, you'd want VT and VT-d technologies. You'd want a 64bit CPU and enough memory.

Would a Intel Xeon 2xL5520 24GB RAM interest you? https://www.cloudshards.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=128 $49/month.

• The only thing I can imagine VMWare picking on is the lack of memory virtualization extensions on the CPU. Which I doubt your laptop has ;-)

Digicube has recently added a range of very low end AMD servers starting at €10/mo. You can see them here: http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs (they advertise the prices with 20% discount but that's only if you pay yearly)

VolumeDrive also has a nice AMD Athlon for just $20/mo. Can be found here: http://volumedrive.com/vdrive/?a=dedicated

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

• I had esxi on this plan which is $29/mo, but that was version 5.1, not sure if the newer version will work.

• vmware is picky on ethernet card, volumedrive stated once that they only install esxi on xeon servers

• @FiberVM said:
    The only thing I can imagine VMWare picking on is the lack of memory virtualization extensions on the CPU. Which I doubt your laptop has ;-)

Digicube has recently added a range of very low end AMD servers starting at €10/mo. You can see them here: http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs (they advertise the prices with 20% discount but that's only if you pay yearly)

VolumeDrive also has a nice AMD Athlon for just $20/mo. Can be found here: http://volumedrive.com/vdrive/?a=dedicated

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Digicube would be great, but as the person above me stated. I don't know if it works.

@concerto49 I'm just a poor student so $49 just for testing and expierence is a bit high, sorry. thanks for the offer tough. :)

• @taronyu said:
    Digicube would be great, but as the person above me stated. I don't know if it works.

There is no option for it in the OS list, so I would imagine vmware is not supported.

• @earl said:

Problem found,

Ovh not a option.
    Digicube not.
    Online.net not.
    Hetzner to expensive. (Worstcase scenario server bidding)
    Webtropia, hmm maybe. I can get 20% off.

• @taronyu said:

What's your budget? I can see what else we have around that might work.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

What's the problem with online.net? I run an ESX server with them, perhaps budget?

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited November 2013

maybe you can ask datashack if they have any 25$ phenom servers?

• @taronyu said:

Cant think of any server under $20 that would support vmware.. If your laptop has an intel network card it would probably be your best bet. But then you need another computer to install vsphere client and access vmware.

• @Concerto49 i added it to the OP :)

@AnthonySmith nano doesn't support virtualisation?

@Tridinebandim might be a option.

@earl looong time ago haha, another pc isn't a problem.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

I would be careful of any of the servers with desktop hardware like an AMD Athlon or Phenom. They probably do not support VMWare.

• server i mentioned has a RTL8111/8168 ethernet card, i did a quick search and found that it supports esxi.

• @qps said:
    I would be careful of any of the servers with desktop hardware like an AMD Athlon or Phenom. They probably do not support VMWare.

I ran one on a AMD Phenom x4 840 fine. The picky part is the NIC (intel gigabit ct) and the raid card. My LSI was detected on ESXi 4.1 but my adaptec isn't. There are workarounds like installing an arcconf CIM and reading it remotely. Sadly, I think they removed LSI support for my model in ESXi 5 so each version is somewhat of a moving target.

Realtek NICs mentioned above are not supported in the virgin installer. You have to modify the ISO to include the drivers.

The minimum processor requirements is VT-x or AMD-v. Vt-d isn't a show stopper unless you need to pass through devices. Also, if you want to play with nested virtualization, look for EPT or RVI.

• I had the same interest in the past.
    I think you could use it in your own computer in the begining and after a period of time, you could start with a VPS.

What would you like to learn?

• If you just want to try out vmware, you can try corgitech.. they have multiple locations and currently have a sale for $7/mo for a 750MB VPS.

http://lowendbox.com/blog/corgi-tech-50-off-promotion-back-after-a-year-8-locations-worldwide/

• I already try install VMware EXSi in VMware EXSi server and it cannot be install.

• @budi1413 said:
    I already try install VMware EXSi in VMware EXSi server and it cannot be install.

You tried installing esxi as a guest in a vmware server? you may have better luck trying it on an AMD CPU..

• earl said: You tried installing esxi as a guest in a vmware server? you may have better luck trying it on an AMD CPU..

I'm just trying my luck because there's VMware EXSi server at my school that i can use for testing purpose. :p

• @DragonDF said:
    I had the same interest in the past.
    I think you could use it in your own computer in the begining and after a period of time, you could start with a VPS.

What would you like to learn?

Everything, just want to play with it and get some experience. Might be usefull in a job in a while.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I meant the E3-1220 option.

• taronyu said: Everything, just want to play with it and get some experience. Might be usefull in a job in a while.

You need to know if your "old" computer (processor) supports VMWare.
    Maybe it will better for you to buy other computer. If you think you need to pay at least $20/month, you can have an idea about how much you will spend in a few months to do all tests you imagine will be enough.

Good luck!

• @budi1413 said:
    I already try install VMware EXSi in VMware EXSi server and it cannot be install.

There's some hoop jumping required. Look up the virtually ghetto series of blog posts about nesting esxi.

• @DragonDF said:

I'm not sure I my laptop is using a t2080 or e2200.

I will boot it again when Im home again. After 2 years :P

• Well I asked volumedrive, and they mentioned that if you put vmware in the comments they will do their best to provision an X2 that supports vmware, but setup time may take a bit longer.. so the X2 $19.95/mo would probably be the cheapest server that supports vmware.