Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS/Backup solution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS/Backup solution

jbarrjbarr Member

I have two VPS's hosted with a provider that does not do backups or snapshots.

The first VPS has CyberPanel installed. The second VPS is basically empty to be used as backup storage for the first.

CyberPanel works very well, and backing up and restoring websites is straight forward. BUT according to the devs, there is no easy way to backup CyberPanel and all of its configurations. Obviously this presents an issue when my provider doesn't provide snapshots or backups.

So, what are the your suggestions for backing up a VPS to a storage server? I'm looking into rsync and rsnapshot, but I am open to whatever makes sense.

I don't have much experience with rsync, so would I rsync the entire server or only a portion? Likewise with rsnapshot.

Suggestions?

Comments

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

Rsync can backup whole filesystem but you should understand that copying would be correct only when your system is freeze. Otherwise you are under risk lost part of data (due to temporary files or mysql database files, php session etc.). Good solution would be something like R1Soft, Acronis, Veem but they are expensive and you most likely cannot use your second VPS, you will need use cloud space from above software developer or their distributor.

Thanked by 1n1ghtm4r3x
  • edited May 2021

rsync alone may not do what you need. It is not suitable for backing up active databases for instance, you'll need to backup those to files and rsync the backups.

If you create a backup arrangement of your own make sure to regularly test the results (for instance restore the backup to CybePanel running on a local VM). You don't want to find out it hasn't been working at the time you need to do a restore for real...

• @rustelekom said:
    Rsync can backup whole filesystem but you should understand that copying would be correct only when your system is freeze. Otherwise you are under risk lost part of data (due to temporary files or mysql database files, php session etc.). Good solution would be something like R1Soft, Acronis, Veem but they are expensive and you most likely cannot use your second VPS, you will need use cloud space from above software developer or their distributor.

The free veeam agent for linux works because you can just setup an sftp mount with sshfs

Thanked by 1rustelekom
  • @jbarr said: Obviously this presents an issue when my provider doesn't provide snapshots or backups.

And even if they provide, it's 99% in the same location. Alway store a backup in an other location (ideally other country).

I would go with BorgBackup (more tech friendly) or BackupPC (user friendly). Both are really solid solutions:

• BorgBackup: CLI, incremental backups, encrypted ; with BorgMatic it's kind of magic
    • BackupPC: web gui, incremental backups, not encrypted (but you can set the backup command so you can customize it) ; i've used it to download remotes files to backup and compress locally direct on the BackupPC server, this way i reduce ressource used on the remote server
  • @o_be_one said: BackupPC:

You got me looking at this one, for my charity VPS but no matter what I tried over the past few days, I couldn't get it to work. :'(
    I've done a manual rsync for now, until I trial the other options.
    (Shame, as it looked OK)

• @AlwaysSkint said: no matter what I tried over the past few days, I couldn't get it to work.

Latest version? The docker image is straight forward but also regular install works well. Documentation is quite well made also.
    Did you tried with remote user being root or user made for BackupPC? Note that Ubuntu doc has also a doc for that, a bit outdated iirc but it explains main things to understand. I remember in the past my main issue was more about where BackupPC store its key xD

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited May 2021

Docker! Arrgh! KISS.
    Latest version - straight from the site. I run OSes that are geared for server use only (CentOS/debian, thanks) - the least amount of bloat, the better.
    Rather than installing stuff direct onto one of my debian Proxmox nodes, I've now created a NATed VM. Why is life so complicated? :'(
    I found the "official" documentation to be totally lacking, with very little detail on using the ssh/rsync combination. Whacking the debug level up to 9 and reading the generated logs wasn't any help.
    Running as root to the remote machine, as I want to snapshot as much as practical.

You may have "hit the nail on the head" with respect to the key though. Perhaps the web interface parses from /etc/backuppc/.ssh (or something) rather than the normal /root/.ssh, when logging in remotely as root. Did I say the docs were lacking?

I've since wiped from the node but may try again on the VM. Once I've farted about with pip etc. for Borgmatic and/or Veam.

(All because I'm struggling to get Tomcat 7 to run through SSL and I don't wanna break the non-SSL stuff, without having a backup. I'm getting sick of reinstalling from scratch, to meet the esoteric demands of some java crap. Gimme DOS Lotus Symphony or SmartWare Suite any day! Even Unicenter TNG is/was less complex!)

• lanefulanefu Member

@o_be_one said:

@jbarr said: Obviously this presents an issue when my provider doesn't provide snapshots or backups.

And even if they provide, it's 99% in the same location. Alway store a backup in an other location (ideally other country).

I would go with BorgBackup (more tech friendly) or BackupPC (user friendly). Both are really solid solutions:

• BorgBackup: CLI, incremental backups, encrypted ; with BorgMatic it's kind of magic
    • BackupPC: web gui, incremental backups, not encrypted (but you can set the backup command so you can customize it) ; i've used it to download remotes files to backup and compress locally direct on the BackupPC server, this way i reduce ressource used on the remote server

Seconding for borg with borgmatic. There's some good ansible roles for setting up. Also the vorta desktop client is pretty goof

Backuppc was hard to beat for a long time, but its depedency of hardlinks and the fact the its perl really show its age.