Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video Streaming/Digital Video Sale or Rental in Wordpress
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Video Streaming/Digital Video Sale or Rental in Wordpress

Is there a 3rd party service or plugin for Wordpress which would allow the sale/rental of videos to customers?

They are different ways you can do this
1) Just sell an MP4 as a digital download.
2) Have a paid Membership on the site and stream video from the site available only to members that paid.
3) 3rd party site that can handle all this and has a wordpress plugin.
4) Some other way I haven't thought of.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

If you let people download, one person pays, and your video ends up on HostSolutions where everyone can download for free.

The tech behind https://pushups.ndn.today could have all the videos encrypted, with the decryption key provided to the browser via Web Crypto API.
    People pay and the system issues a decryption key, and they can stream from the same browser.

The key is marked non-extractable in Web Crypto, so it can only be used in the same browser.
    If they reset the browser, the key is gone and they have to pay again.

Streaming occurs over WebSockets or QUIC, and there's no known program that can download such streams.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@trycatchthis said:
    Is there a 3rd party service or plugin for Wordpress which would allow the sale/rental of videos to customers?

They are different ways you can do this
    1) Just sell an MP4 as a digital download.
    2) Have a paid Membership on the site and stream video from the site available only to members that paid.
    3) 3rd party site that can handle all this and has a wordpress plugin.
    4) Some other way I haven't thought of.

Any suggestions?

Woocomerce, but those vids will be pirated.

• @yoursunny said:
    If you let people download, one person pays, and your video ends up on HostSolutions where everyone can download for free.

The tech behind https://pushups.ndn.today could have all the videos encrypted, with the decryption key provided to the browser via Web Crypto API.
    People pay and the system issues a decryption key, and they can stream from the same browser.

The key is marked non-extractable in Web Crypto, so it can only be used in the same browser.
    If they reset the browser, the key is gone and they have to pay again.

Streaming occurs over WebSockets or QUIC, and there's no known program that can download such streams.

Thought you were serious till I clicked the link.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@trycatchthis said:
    Thought you were serious till I clicked the link.

The underlying library and protocol can indeed support the aforementioned features.

I even have a long article with measurements on QUIC video streaming:
    https://yoursunny.com/t/2021/NDN-video-QUIC/