Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is xenforo dead?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

is xenforo dead?

gappergapper Member

no more added features, no more dev updates about NEW features... if you ask about version 2.3 they warn you and/or duplicate accounts go against you and attack you

is xenforo dead?
  1. is xenforo dead?43 votes
    1. yes
      60.47%
    2. no
      39.53%

Comments

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

forums as a whole are dead

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

No. Forums are not dead. It's just that people have more trust in commercial social networking.

And... XenForo is not dead. Latest release was on December 2020, version 2.2.2. This does not make it dead.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Is Earth dead?

It's been circling some hot ball for billions of years.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@deank said:
    Is Earth dead?

It's been circling some hot ball for billions of years.

And yet, the whole project may be abandoned when the universe reaches a state of entropy, or when the ball is no longer hot in our eyes.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • LeviLevi Member

Judging from their community https://xenforo.com/community/ they are very active. At least more alive than vB or Invision.

Thanked by 1o_be_one

vBulletin is dead. I am 100% certain of that.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@deank said: Is Earth dead?

Checked out the project and yeah, I'd say so:

• No new releases
    • TONS of bugs that have gone unpatched
    • Only one contributor who is not adding features
    • Lots of spam, noise, and garbage in the project
    • Some unscalable features - the whole thing needs a refactor
    • Proprietary project so no one can edit the source code
    • Not sure if it's 2038-compliant

I'd stay away.

Thanked by 2lentro o_be_one
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@raindog308 said:

@deank said: Is Earth dead?

Checked out the project and yeah, I'd say so:

• No new releases

I'd stay away.

very cool dad thank you

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@raindog308 said:

• No new releases

New individuals are released every day. Species thrive with individuals of different DNA combinations like a blockchain. It's getting harder and harder to mine humans.

We are patching Covid-19 at the moment, and still struggle with patching Cancer, but we will get this too.

Features like: new plant species? New animal species (like dogs)? Even new strings of viruses and bacteria?

Actually, I would say it's different ways of communication. From screaming, to going from point A to B, or to using internet with speed of light... it's all communication baby, not noise.

Humanity got into space, to their natural satellite, created new satellites (one which reached Pluto) and we are planning expansion to Mars.

This is not done because humans think they might become hacked by going open-source. This is still up for debate in closed doors, for security reasons.

Nobody knows. Time is a variable which was not researched enough to control it with gravity, because of huge energy requirements involved at such magnitude.

I'd stay away.

Me too. Tell me how you did it.

• gappergapper Member

@SirFoxy said:

this one isnt

No worries. We have Mars and perhaps Europa to fall back to.

Just need to survive long enough for tech to evolve to get there.

Jokes aside, humanity does need to get away from Sun at one point. Or we are doomed. Planets with hot/active core is probably what we need. Sadly, the core of Mars is stone cold.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited May 2021

@default said: XenForo is not dead. Latest release was on December 2020, version 2.2.2. This does not make it dead.

I used to work on SMF back in 2005 or so. They released a new version in March 2021 but I'd still say it's pretty dead. Well, maybe not dead, but definitely stagnated. Honestly I'm not sure if there's been any major innovations in the "old school" forum systems (SMF, phpBB, etc) since then. Invision seems to have pivoted and are doing OK, but the others seem basically the same as they did back then.

IMO the older era of forum software (SMF, phpBB, Vanilla, Xenforo, etc) are pretty dead these days. Sure, a lot of them are maintained well, but there's no major innovations or major new features coming to them.

Modern forum software (Discourse, NodeBB, Forem, etc) are doing a bit better, with more modern features like push notifications on replies, and not having to refresh the page to see new replies.

In general I think more and more people are moving to remotely hosted things such as dev.to (for programming), Reddit, Facebook groups, etc. and forums aren't as popular as they used to be.

• defaultdefault Veteran

I still maintain a SMF forum for a non-profit project. I consider SMF very much alive. Also implementing phpBB for another forum project. I like them a lot, even though there are no modern features like push notifications.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@Daniel15 said: with more modern features like push notifications on replies, and not having to refresh the page to see new replies.

Am I the only who who hates push notifications and want to see / check for updates when I want to see them?

I don't need the distraction of push notifications and have globally disabled them because they're annoying. I'm glad older software is still being maintained and not actively pushing these distractions as features.

Nothing against Discourse or all the other new flavor of forums, but I much prefer multipage (no pagination), no popups, no push notifications, etc.

Thanked by 2aRNoLD rhinoduck
  • TicagaTicaga Member

I had so much high hopes for Xenforo but they don't have the passion in it anymore.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited May 2021

@default said: I still maintain a SMF forum for a non-profit project. I consider SMF very much alive.

I mean, SMF really is fine to use, but it depends on how you define "alive". The next version (2.1) has been in development for close to 10 years now. Even in the SMF 2.1 codebase I'm pretty sure there's still chunks of old code and hacks lingering from the PHP 4.x era.

@MannDude said: Am I the only who who hates push notifications

I like them for small communities and things like emails. I have push notifications enabled on Reddit, several small forums I use, several small Discords (mainly for @ mentions) but I disable them on larger forums (or at least set them to only be used for @ mentions and PMs).

@MannDude said: and have globally disabled them because they're annoying

Even for email and SMS?
    Do you disable all notifications on your phone too?

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@Daniel15 said:

@default said: I still maintain a SMF forum for a non-profit project. I consider SMF very much alive.

I mean, SMF really is fine to use, but it depends on how you define "alive". The next version (2.1) has been in development for close to 10 years now. Even in the SMF 2.1 codebase I'm pretty sure there's still chunks of old code and hacks lingering from the PHP 4.x era.

@MannDude said: Am I the only who who hates push notifications

I like them for small communities and things like emails. I have push notifications enabled on Reddit, several small forums I use, several small Discords (mainly for @ mentions) but I disable them on larger forums (or at least set them to only be used for @ mentions and PMs).

Even for email and SMS?

i disable all notifications except for my dad lmao

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Even for email and SMS?

My phone only rings for four people. No notifications on anything but email and text, but they're silent. I check my phone when I want to.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@MannDude said:

Even for email and SMS?

My phone only rings for four people. No notifications on anything but email and text, but they're silent. I check my phone when I want to.

Same here. I only want notifications from job, email, and SMS. Everything else is disabled.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Daniel15 said: Do you disable all notifications on your phone too?

@SirFoxy said: i disable all notifications except for my dad lmao

@MannDude said: My phone only rings for four people.

@default said: Same here. I only want notifications from job, email, and SMS. Everything else is disabled.

Thanked by 2MannDude SirFoxy
  • Appears that Xenforo and vBulletin are similar active now. If not too many add-ons are required, I prefer vB5. IPB appears more active and it's whole eco system suits modern communities as well imo.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@SirFoxy said:

LET is also a forum.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@Saahib said:

@SirFoxy said:

LET is also a forum.

that's crazy

Thanked by 1webcraft