Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NinjaHawk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NinjaHawk

FYI.....

NinjaHawk just announced they are switching not 1, but 2 datacenters over the Thanksgiving holiday (in the USA). UK nodes are being moved to NYC, and Dallas nodes are being re-located.... all with 2 days advanced notice.

Comments

• trexostrexos Member
    edited November 2013

I think all these moves are a shame. I like NinjaHawk, but 2 days advanced notice is not long enough. But tbh, there were switches within a shorter period of time.

• We have boxes in both and I'm less than happy right now. I won't be recommending NinjaHawk anymore.

• @NodePing said:
    We have boxes in both and I'm less than happy right now. I won't be recommending NinjaHawk anymore.

Same here. I paid for both, one year, and will seriously be thinking about staying there.

• I always had great service and performance from both my NinjaHawk boxes but it is moves like this that can sink a good service. Poorly played, NinjaHawk... poorly played.

• @NodePing said:
    I always had great service and performance from both my NinjaHawk boxes but it is moves like this that can sink a good service. Poorly played, NinjaHawk... poorly played.

Same here. Never a problem with NinjaHawk until today. 2 days is sign of poor planning.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited November 2013

It is urgent and short noticed but additional time can be provided if needed. All of these were planned months ago and are needed to continue our expansion but due to some unforseen situation, were not able to send the mails out in time. We do have exciting expansion coming in as well as we will be editing our terms to allow additional services such as Windows and so on and we will be entering the awesome ssd and ssd cached industry shortly.

More information can be provided over ticket. Once again, apologies for any inconvenience.

I am not going to comment on anything or explain further on forum besides what I have stated above. It will be easier to explain over support ticket. Dallas, we are moving from cx to internap so still same location and a decent network upgrade.

• @seriesn said:
    It is urgent and short noticed but additional time can be provided if needed.

I already put in a ticket about the UK, I requested 14 days before changes are made. As indicated, I purchased a UK VPS because I needed a UK VPS, not a NYC VPS. Further, I need the same 14 notice for Dallas... and ideally both of these massive changes should not occur on or near a (inter)national holiday.

-Jim P.

• @trexos said:
    2 days advanced notice is not long enough. But tbh, there were switches within a shorter period of time.

DNS generally needs 2 weeks to clear out of caches, as some caches don't respect TTL.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited November 2013

Refunds should be in order here it's pretty unacceptable.. If UrPad can off full and pro rated refunds so can NinjaHawk...

Thanked by 1jimpop
  • wlanboywlanboy Member
    edited November 2013

From Dallas to Dallas ... ok.

From UK to NY ... wtf?

Providers started quite a lot of continent changes during the last weeks...

• I've sent in a ticket asking for another week for my TX box IP change. I've already started looking for a new provider for my UK box.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm sure the guy with the N in his name up there will take care of everyone best he can. He's good people.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited November 2013

I am on my phone so can't explain much but if you are on internap, your vps will stay as it is . Only clients on corexchange will be moved.

Once again, I am extremely for the short notice but it is the best for business and needed for our upcoming expansion.

• Guys don't freak out, obviously they will offer pro-rated refunds to anyone affected by this move...

• @seriesn said:
    if you are on internap, your vps will stay as it is . Only clients on corexchange will be moved.

Assuming that's Dallas, then I should be OK as my VPS is already in Internap. UK... that's another issue.

Look, @seriesn, folks like me are ready to be understanding and compassionate about necessary changes. But dropping a 2 day notice (on a quasi holiday weekend) is not the way to achieve that. Best wishes.

• @jimpop said:
    Look, seriesn, folks like me are ready to be understanding and compassionate about necessary changes. But dropping a 2 day notice (on a quasi holiday weekend) is not the way to achieve that. Best wishes.

I do fully understand that. Even after the migration, you will leave the vms working till the first for any error. The plan was there but real life issue got in and it was my fault. I completely understand that. Another email got sent out to remove texas related confusion. I will fully work with everyone to make this smooth. But trust me when I say this, our upcoming upgrades will make everyone happy.

I do understand the issue with holidays be assured though, your old vm will be available throuhout the holidays

• @Jack said:
    seriesn do you mind going into detail on why you are doing this move?

Business decisions tbh. Nothing else.

• @seriesn is it due to foreign currencies value?

3 months ago when I paid a service for EUR 5, only cost me IDR 47,500
    2 days ago when I paid the same amount for the same service, it cost me IDR 79,000 quite a hike eh?

• @vRozenSch00n said:
    seriesn is it due to foreign currencies value?

3 months ago when I paid a service for EUR 5, only cost me IDR 47,500
    2 days ago when I paid the same amount for the same service, it cost me IDR 79,000 quite a hike eh?

You mean to tell me that currency rates CHANGE? gasp say it ain't so!

• @Jack said:
    Big example here is Nodeping obviously used you for critical stuff and he'll have to find another service within the next 48 hours and have stuff moved over.

As I have mentioned while the notice is short, it was planned and extension will be provided to those who will ask for it.

Not everything happened as I planned and I take complete responsibility for this mess.

• @Jack said:
    seriesn do you mind going into detail on why you are doing this move?

@seriesn said:
    Business decisions tbh. Nothing else.

@TheLinuxBug explained this business decision some time ago.
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/338060/#Comment_338060

90% of the time hosts do it because they want to reduce costs to them selves (this does not mean it was absolutely necessary, it only means they are no longer willing to bear the cost of their own business decision). I am going to take a guess and say you meant that people should not buy a low end server if they have expectations of the server not to (ever) move just because the host admits to them self the price they sold it as isn't realistic. This however, is the hosts fault for not having better budget practices and planning for slow times to begin with. I have no idea how "low-end" and "virtual" are two different types of service or where you came up with that. However, I do agree that if you want a better chance of staying where you first purchase that finding a provider that sets realistic prices on their services will provide a better chance of not going out of business or changing locations. I think recently this idea is starting to hit home with the growing list of providers which have been selling off or withdrawing from different locations. In reality, those companies should have made better business decisions to start instead of making their customer take a hit because they planned poorly when creating their budget for services. But I digress.

TL; DR:
    Low end hosts need to stop racing to the bottom with their too good to be true offers and realize they will do better to offer more sustainable and realistic offers. Just because someone CAN sell 4Gb or 8gb of ram or whatever for $7.00 doesn't mean its a good (or sustainable) business practice. People need to start realizing that the hosts making these too good to be true offers are often already established and can afford to take the loss, as well as use it to eliminate some of their competition and those who are not established are likely not going to succeed in the long run with such unrealistically priced services.

The biggest reason location changes anger me is because they are dishonest to the consumer, its just like bait and switch, "Hey come get this awesome service in the location you want it", "Ohh, you liked that location? Well sorry it is to expensive to sustain so now we are moving you to a location you didn't pick on different hardware than we originally sold you on, in an entirely different country."

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • @SkylarM said:
    You mean to tell me that currency rates CHANGE? gasp say it ain't so!

I hope not the case for USD against EUR or GBP

But if you have a business that involve foreign currency and your profit margin is set to serve low end market, then a slight change might impact the cost you have to pay.

• We are not moving location to move into a cheaper location or provider but when the demand is too low, it is only wise to drop that small portion and expand on those that have demand. That is smart business and happens more than often on many real business. Granted, not this fast but it does happen.

@GuanYu said:

The biggest reason location changes anger me is because they are dishonest to the consumer, its just like bait and switch, "Hey come get this awesome service in the location you want it", "Ohh, you liked that location? Well sorry it is to expensive to sustain so now we are moving you to a location you didn't pick on different hardware than we originally sold you on, in an entirely different country."

• @seriesn said:
    We are not moving location to move into a cheaper location or provider but when the demand is too low, it is only wise to drop that small portion and expand on those that have demand. That is smart business and happens more than often on many real business.

I am a customer affected by this, and while I may not like it, I do agree with you that it is smart business decision.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • seriesn said: the demand is too low

It would have been better to at least offer to hand off your UK customers/containers to a fellow UK provider than force a migration to NYC. Something to consider next time.

• I don't understand why people still take this crap. I'm sorry for my wording, but that's what it is.

A 2-day notice is extremely poor and we're just going to have to take @seriesn's word for it that he actually couldn't have sent this before.

But this business decision nonsense is so extremely nondescript, he could as well have said customers are being moved because they found a rat in the basement of the local Burger King. Just man up and be honest. If the UK became too expensive, so be it. Give customers a chance to cancel and get a refund.

Finally, this Ashley_Hawkridge-style "I will only explain in a ticket" isn't exactly customer friendly.

I second @jarland's remark. You're good people. You've been around a while and have always been kind and stuff like that. But this move is turning my thoughts around a bit.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • The bad reputation is way more expensive in the long run then sucking it up and honoring the service that you sold the customer.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • Alot of ASSumptions going on. He stated the reason why he is leaving. Yea it sucks for the people in that location but really it is a fact of life sometimes. It's business also to. If your bleeding wouldn't you want to stop the bleeding. Now 2 day notice well that a little extreme but there might be a actually valid reason. Before we are so quick to judge look at it from both povs first.

• FYI, via ticket I was able to extend the window to 7 days, which is acceptable by me. I wish it was 30 days, but at least it's not 12 hours. :-)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Ian_ said:
    Alot of ASSumptions going on. He stated the reason why he is leaving. Yea it sucks for the people in that location but really it is a fact of life sometimes. It's business also to. If your bleeding wouldn't you want to stop the bleeding. Now 2 day notice well that a little extreme but there might be a actually valid reason. Before we are so quick to judge look at it from both povs first.

To be honest I would recommend people just start up a personal conversation with him. If he can say more, he will. I don't know if he can, but I trust his character.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n