Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostHatch - TCP Port 25 will be blocked by default on June 14th
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostHatch - TCP Port 25 will be blocked by default on June 14th

FrankZFrankZ Veteran
edited May 2021 in General

Since I have seen in other threads that some users do not receive email from HostHatch I am posting this.

Hello FrankZ,

In keeping our promise to provide you the best possible service, we have made the decision to block TCP port 25 by default across our network in all locations starting on June 14th 2021. This is an integral part of preventing abuse and protecting the reputation of our network.

If you have a valid justification to use this port, please contact our support team via ticket (manage.hosthatch.com) or email ([email protected]) in order to get whitelisted. Please note that we still recommend against running your own mail server and instead look for a platform specialized in email deliverability such as Sendgrid, Mailgun and Sendinblue.

This change will be rolled out gradually starting on June 14th, 2021 and is expected to be fully deployed by June 30th, 2021.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Sincerely,

HostHatch LLC

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited May 2021

@deank said: Sue them.

@deank That troll tag is well deserved

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

For anyone wanting to read this

Hello FrankZ,

In keeping our promise to provide you the best possible service, we have made the decision to block TCP port 25 by default across our network in all locations starting on June 14th 2021. This is an integral part of preventing abuse and protecting the reputation of our network.

If you have a valid justification to use this port, please contact our support team via ticket (manage.hosthatch.com) or email ([email protected]) in order to get whitelisted. Please note that we still recommend against running your own mail server and instead look for a platform specialized in email deliverability such as Sendgrid, Mailgun and Sendinblue.

This change will be rolled out gradually starting on June 14th, 2021 and is expected to be fully deployed by June 30th, 2021.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Sincerely,

HostHatch LLC

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@skorupion said: For anyone wanting to read this

I fixed it in the OP as well.

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • fazarfazar Member

some reviews out there saying hosthatch's IPs sent tons of spams. so, blocking port 25 is a wise thing to do. many providers and big players on VM industry did this. it works well to decrease abusers. 👍

Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I think all large cloud providers do this at the moment. We're happy to make exceptions, just ticket in with your usage and we'll do it for you. :)

• epaslvepaslv Member

Good time to ditch my VPS's I have with them.

Dumb as dog shit providers who limit services in such a brain dead way like this impact on all users not just mail abusers.

Thanked by 1JasonM

@epaslv said:

Dumb as dog shit providers who limit services in such a brain dead way like this impact on all users not just mail abusers.

Hmm not sure if you read the notification, but all it takes to get an exception for this rule is to write a short email to us, especially if you are a customer with no history of abuse.

Blocking port 25 is the industry standard now - hosts including GCP, AWS, DO, Vultr and others do this as default.

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

Instead of just blocking the port, we use Fastnetmon Advanced with their Traffic Persistence. We've setup this system to log SMTP traffic per IP for 24 hours, which allows us to see how many sent emails per address in our network and act on spammers fast. No need to mail us to open ports, but be sure we will find you if the service is used for spamming :)

@terrahost said:
    Instead of just blocking the port, we use Fastnetmon Advanced with their Traffic Persistence. We've setup this system to log SMTP traffic per IP for 24 hours, which allows us to see how many sent emails per address in our network and act on spammers fast. No need to mail us to open ports, but be sure we will find you if the service is used for spamming :)

That's nice :)

• @epaslv said:

whoosh

• WilliamWilliam Member

People block Port 25, but are too dumb to realise that every modern mailserver has an open SSL port as well. Your DPI is not going to do anything there either @terrahost

Thanked by 2FrankZ bulbasaur
  • @epaslv said:

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited May 2021

@hosthatch said: I think all large cloud providers do this at the moment. We're happy to make exceptions, just ticket in with your usage and we'll do it for you.

I do run one of my mail servers at HostHatch so I did ticket them asking for an exception to the port 25 block. They professionally responded to my low priority ticket in 2 hours had no issue whitelisting my server.

EDIT: I only posted this thread so people who did not get the email would not be caught unaware. No drama here.

• simlevsimlev Member

I don't like this, but if all it takes is opening a ticket, it's a non-issue.

• inbound or outbound TCP port 25?

• WilliamWilliam Member

I assume they just add an ACL, so both.

• JasonMJasonM Member

@epaslv said: Dumb as dog shit providers who limit services in such a brain dead way like this impact on all users not just mail abusers.

agreed. I had earlier stated instead of blanket-ban for all legit users, web hosts should block ports for abusers. But most of them don't have time to deal with such things.

• I'm sending transactional emails via MXroute's SMTP from HostHatch, will this affect me?

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited May 2021

@JasonM said:

@epaslv said: Dumb as dog shit providers who limit services in such a brain dead way like this impact on all users not just mail abusers.

agreed. I had earlier stated instead of blanket-ban for all legit users, web hosts should block ports for abusers. But most of them don't have time to deal with such things.

I think you could also consider that spam block list generally blacklist ranges of IPs not just the abuser's IP, so many other customers can be affected by one abuser.

And for non mail servers it is not really that hard to use a smart relay to a outbound mail service like MXRoute or one of your own mail servers on an alternate port.
    I set this up by default on my web servers so I can monitor the mail they send in a central location. Just saying ...

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@Chocoweb said: I'm sending transactional emails via MXroute's SMTP from HostHatch, will this affect me?

I expect that you are sending on port 587, so it should not affect you.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@epaslv said:

Funny because the people who want them to do it are probably speaking exactly like that to them for the opposite reason via abuse@. Been there. If one action gets rid of people who get that heated like you and the others, sounds like a victory to me.

• PandoGulfPandoGulf Veteran
    edited May 2021

@hosthatch said:

Hmm not sure if you read the notification, but all it takes to get an exception for this rule is to write a short email to us, especially if you are a customer with no history of abuse.

OK, ticket submitted, lets see how it goes in there.

• psb777psb777 Member

@William said:
    I assume they just add an ACL, so both.

Why? You can specify source and/or destination ports in ACL, can't you?

I don't see how inbound port 25 can be abused to send spam or why it should be blocked.

• bdlbdl Member

@kalimov622 said:

@epaslv said:

PMSMTP :)

Thanked by 2FrankZ bulbasaur
  • LeviLevi Member

They will get overwhelmed with tickets. Than they will introduce "smtp enablement handling fee". Than stricter KYC. And finally they will drop this idea and properly staff their support.

Thanked by 3JasonM yoursunny netguy
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

@psb777 said: Why? You can specify source and/or destination ports in ACL, can't you?

One ACL costs less CPU on the ASIC, especially if you need to run an explicit DENY and then single allows for various customers.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@hosthatch - this block/limitation is per server, or per ip, or per account?

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@default said:
    @hosthatch - this block/limitation is per server, or per ip, or per account?

I think they'll introduce the block globally but whitelisting perserv/ip/account depending on the individual case... I just put in a ticket, asked kindly while explaining my use case and got the account whitelisted.
    took about an hour on a sunday - so much for slow support ;-)

quite some providers have port 25 opened only on request as well as rdns not set automatically. I think even if there are different ways to handle this, it can only be embraced if a provider is trying to cut down on potential risks and therefore working on increasing or keeping a better reputation.

• @PandoGulf said:

@hosthatch said:

OK, ticket submitted, lets see how it goes in there.

Update, it went very smoothly and got my VPS whitelisted for port 25.