Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sharing a 4 node Dell C6220, cheap - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sharing a 4 node Dell C6220, cheap

Comments

• @William said:
    You do not purchase rights to the hardware. I noted this multiple times already.

The offer is so i get rid off unused RAM mostly and get some personal server space, i have no interest in giving it away for free. 16 8GB DIMMs are alone worth 250EUR.

I know this too well. Buy $2000 worth of additional stuff to use $200 of ancient RAM.

Thanked by 2yoursunny William
  • mike1smike1s Member

Any plans to put one in Ireland?

• amarcamarc Veteran

@William a bit oftopic but.. Who you are with in Bosnia and how much you pay/what ? You can PM me too..

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

@TimboJones said: Buy $2000 worth of additional stuff to use $200 of ancient RAM.

Yea, in my case i have more like 25000EUR (a few thousand sticks, literally) of unused ram though...

@SWN_Michael said: Any plans to put one in Ireland?

Bargainhardware should ship rather cheap there, but colo is insane expensive. These are power hogs so i doubt it is viable.

@amarc said: @William a bit oftopic but.. Who you are with in Bosnia and how much you pay/what ? You can PM me too..

QSS in Sarajevo, i do not disclose pricing, around 3-4x more than in Germany

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • WilliamWilliam Member

Ok, both nodes in Moldova are sold entirely. I am negotiating with the DC for a quarter rack as interest seems to be bigger than i expected, but i will not take new orders for now until this 2 are online and delivered, i have a day job and an ISP to run so i don't want too much complexity as this obviously not targeted at profit.

If still interested in Moldova PM me and i put you on a list and keep you updated.

I'll think about some locations later and get some pricing, if anyone is interested i will do one in Croatia as its near me - Monthly a bit more expensive, but it will have better Network/Hardware as i can just drive to the datacenter.

Thanked by 1LordSpock
  • JoeFJoeF Member

I'll think about some locations later and get some pricing, if anyone is interested i will do one in Croatia as its near me - Monthly a bit more expensive, but it will have better Network/Hardware as i can just drive to the datacenter.

I would be interested in Croatia.
    Do you have any recommendations for a cheap Croatian DC?

• WilliamWilliam Member

No such thing as a cheap croatian DC, to my knowledge, i have some Tcom contacts i'll tap into - just worried about the BGP, as DTAG charges an arm and a leg for it usually.

Also Croatia stronk, with good eGovernment, so i went and set up a Non-Profit for this entire thing ('Kompjuter Kolektiv'), need to do gov stuff Wednesday anyway and go then pick up OIB (tax number) and EORI (EU export/import number, so i can import UK to here, pay VAT, export to MD and get it back).

• zomby1zomby1 Member

@William
    Any chance for Israel?

• xx00xxxx00xx Member

https://www.centohost.com (globa.ba) in bosnia has cheap bandwith

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

@zomby1 said: Any chance for Israel?

I do not deal on my home turf, sorry - only takes one user to fuck up my life and land me forever in jail.

• WilliamWilliam Member

I am putting up an EU location in Bulgaria as my friends DC has insane cheap power - I want to do a HP C7000 (G1) bladecenter though. I have experience with configuration and maintenance of that setup (not as simple as it sounds).

Does this sound interesting to anyone?

2x E5-2670v1 (15500 bench, 1500 single, 8c16t, 2.6-3.3Ghz)
    32GB DDR3 ECC (16x2GB) UP TO 64GB DDR3 ECC (any mix up to 16 slots, no guarantees) (depends on RAM stock i still have by then)
    2x 600GB SAS HDD
    /29 v4, /48 v6, 10TB BW
    200EUR Setup
    30EUR/mo

I pay around 500EUR shipped for the Chassis, with 4x2kW PSUs (32x150W=4800W max)/Management & KVM/2x10GbE Uplink module and space for 16 blades, and around 150EUR per blade including HDDs and RAM.

I finance the chassis with the difference between Setup and actual blade cost (16x50=800EUR, 300EUR left).

Minus IPs/BW each blade has a colo budget of 27EUR (16x25=432) - I would pay for space+power 400EUR.

The left profit, if any, goes into the non profit for accounting and other costs (accounting is public anyway, has to be here).

Half of these would be open sale, the other half i want to sell to EU residents that need to sign to join the non-profit (no yearly costs) - This way i can get around 15% EU funding.

Custom hardware again possible (only HDDs/SSDs), but no discounts due to that.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@William a little off-topyc, which DC is that, if public?

• WilliamWilliam Member

Not public.

Its a warehouse near Varna.

• @William said:
    Not public.

Its a warehouse near Varna.

Thats nice, haven't seen many offers (if any) from Varna, all are usually in Sofia.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

Telecoms/Fitvps is in Varna though also

This 'DC' currently has mostly miners located there. It's by no means a purpose built datacenter, but still a level above Cocius Oradea for sure. Limited AC but a C7000 (unlike a Dell C6220 or a Dell M1000e blade center) with the full 10 fan modules runs at up to 40C ambient absolutely fine.

Single Power feed with own Transformer (3 phase), 30kV/400V 350kVA (500A/200kW), No generators, UPS for around an hour.

No need to expect longer outages. Varna TPP has both coal AND gas turbines, so even lack of either is not much issue. Second largest coal power plant in the entire balkan region.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

I also had some issues with paypal, had to annoy the fuck out of them - Now i got my withdrawals finally through.

Well, the email looks like this without amount/ID, but they tell me it's on the way.

Fuck Paypal.

EDIT: ok, most arrived already, i do the accounting and pay the supplier for the first 2 C6220 and shipping to MD.

• JoeFJoeF Member
    edited May 2021

EDIT: ok, most arrived already, i do the accounting and pay the supplier for the first 2 C6220 and shipping to MD.

I would recommend contacting alexhost about the shipping. When I sent a server from the UK they had a local agent who was way cheaper than UPS-TNT etc and also guaranteed that no import duty would be levied. Cost £30 all in UK (London)- MD.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@JoeF said: I would recommend contacting alexhost about the shipping. When I sent a server from the UK they had a local agent who was way cheaper than UPS-TNT etc and also guaranteed that no import duty would be levied. Cost £30 all in UK (London)- MD.

Yea i am in contact with them, although UPS is also only 100GBP for 2 servers. Not sure iof Bargainhardware lets me have them pick it up easily, as i don't pay by bank (though i could do that also). I'll deal that out with them tomorrow.

I just paid AlexHost for the initial colo (400€) & 200€ deposit for import taxes if any.

We will not use Trabia, at this time, way too expensive - 50EUR MRC for BGP, 500EUR NRC for a quarter(!) rack (full rack is 1500 - THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED! - NRC), 150EUR for Quarter rack MRC... etc.). I expected a way better deal, but AlexHost jumped in with really good pricing, including 1Gbit unmetered.

I plan to bring in Retn via XC from Trabias DC at some point, as i have a global commit there - The new Retn pop in Chisinau should be online in a few weeks, via the existing route to Ukraine (it ended at Moldtelecom DWDM just over the border before). I was told they plan to get DWDM to Romania as well at some point, but AlexHost has a stable route this direction anyway.

• JoeFJoeF Member

I plan to bring in Retn via XC from Trabias DC at some point, as i have a global commit there - The new Retn pop in Chisinau should be online in a few weeks, via the existing route to Ukraine (it ended at Moldtelecom DWDM just over the border before). I was told they plan to get DWDM to Romania as well at some point, but AlexHost has a stable route this direction anyway.

Does alexhost have a direct fibre interconnect to trabia? I noticed they joined the MD-IX a few months back but I thought that was organised/hosted with Moldova telecom who as far as I am aware provide all the fibre to their DC.

Their network when not being routed via Moscow from my experience has been pretty solid regardless of destination. When I asked they wouldn't do a BGP session but could announce my IP ranges. Were they happy to do bgp for you?

• WilliamWilliam Member

Yes, BGP no issue.

• WilliamWilliam Member

AlexHost will handle shipping/export from UK.

Order is in, i ship RAM and HDDs this week. Time planning goes well.

Thanked by 1mrclown
  • WilliamWilliam Member

I am not very happy with Bargainhardware support/sales, but they are one of few offering good hardware choices.

Most RAM is shipped, parts of HDDs also, i have no rails but the DC told me it does not matter anyway.

Thanked by 2MannDude mrclown
  • zomby1zomby1 Member

@William Please see PM

• WilliamWilliam Member

Nothing to update yet for MD.

Still seeing for other locations, sadly all datacenters in Croatia seem absolutely useless to even to reply to my (Croatian language...) sales inquiry. We'll see. Maybe i just do home, i can get v4 announced and have 200/200Mbit.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@William said:
    I am not very happy with Bargainhardware support/sales, but they are one of few offering good hardware choices.

Most RAM is shipped, parts of HDDs also, i have no rails but the DC told me it does not matter anyway.

Surprising hearing that about BargainHardware, have had nothing but good experiences with them so far with the few bits grabbed from them. That's a real shame if they're a bit sucky.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

shameless bump for my jew bro william

Thanked by 1William
  • WilliamWilliam Member

@LordSpock said: Surprising hearing that about BargainHardware, have had nothing but good experiences with them so far with the few bits grabbed from them. That's a real shame if they're a bit sucky.

Yea, i dealt a lot with them in the past - No idea wtf happened, maybe COVID related.Its not even bad service, just insanely slow replies for sales mostly.

Thanked by 1LordSpock
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@William said:

@LordSpock said: Surprising hearing that about BargainHardware, have had nothing but good experiences with them so far with the few bits grabbed from them. That's a real shame if they're a bit sucky.

Yea, i dealt a lot with them in the past - No idea wtf happened, maybe COVID related.Its not even bad service, just insanely slow replies for sales mostly.

I second that. My contact there, that used to be super fast now answers once per 3 days.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

Insane, its a home office job after all - All i need usually is a reply with shipping costs, i quote my own price via the website form anyway, WTF!

I also dont like that i have to pay by bank for my own pick up, yet they charge me VAT until i provide export documents (UK does NOT require this if the shipping agent is registered) and then take forever to refund it (nowadays i have to do it with HMRC anyway).

But for good prices i happily jump through that, whatever.

EDIT: In the past i just used their ebay shop, as it was way better for shipping/processing times. Maybe should do that again.

Thanked by 2HostSlick LordSpock
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2021

@AlexBarakov said:

@William said:

I second that. My contact there, that used to be super fast now answers once per 3 days.

For me bargainhardware still replying super fast for quotes, purchases etc. Bought a few more full configged HP Apollo A6000 last week.

Kris however told me he has alot of meetings recently.

Only bad thing is when we ordered 4 blade systems in December it got stuck till April at customs/K+N shipping company (probably due to brexit) and no one from K+N replying. Bargainhardware also replying slow during this time but also helping to solve so.