Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just got AX101 delivered, but no usecase. What to do with it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Just got AX101 delivered, but no usecase. What to do with it?

So, several weeks ago i ordered a AX101 from hetzner, but as i noticed their stock was out, i went for a different solution who is stable and fine for now. However, i forgot about the order, and now it arrived. I dont reallt want to cancel it again, because it is a beast, but i currently have nothing to run on it.

So, what to do with it? Dont say idle or cancel, that is not what i want to do.

Comments

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran

Donate it.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • swat4swat4 Member

Maybe create a few VPS and share the cost among your friends?

• KaffekoppKaffekopp Barred
    edited May 2021

@swat4 said:

I dont have friends.

I took a look at chia mining, and it turns out that adding 2 x 16tb disks to this server and mine on them will pay for the entire box, including the disks if i understand it correct.

Thanked by 1hackerman
  • henixhenix Member

mine chia :D

• @Kaffekopp said:

@swat4 said:

I dont have friends.

I took a look at chia mining, and it turns out that adding 2 x 16tb disks to this server and mine on them will pay for the entire box, including the disks if i understand it correct.

Not really. You can calculate it here https://chiacalculator.com/

Generate on SSD, store on HDD, and get a great profit ~ 1k USD per current rate. But I would suggest you wait a little bit and see how it goes tho.

Thanked by 1dosai
  • That is what i used.

• ahrtahrt Member

@Kaffekopp said:
    So, several weeks ago i ordered a AX101 from hetzner, but as i noticed their stock was out, i went for a different solution who is stable and fine for now. However, i forgot about the order, and now it arrived. I dont reallt want to cancel it again, because it is a beast, but i currently have nothing to run on it.

Where did you get the non hetzner AX101? I am looking for similar to AX & SX servers

• @ahrt said:

@Kaffekopp said:

Where did you get the non hetzner AX101? I am looking for similar to AX & SX servers

IT is a hetzner ax101.

• Donate it

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

SELL IT, YES MAKE MONEY OFF OF IT

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@Kaffekopp You can donate:

• CPU for projects like "folding@home" as an example
    • bandwidth for Tor Project as relay for example
    • Storage for something encrypted

Or you can simply use the server for plotting Chia, and then copy the plots and farm from personal hard drives. This seems to be the new demand now, but it's all speculation and lottery. However, Chia is fun to do, especially if you have a beast server for plotting, and some cheap spare HDDs.

Thanked by 3Falzo yoursunny Ympker
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@default said: Chia is fun to do, especially if you have a beast server for plotting

it's an interesting ... benchmark. AX101 performs quite well on that (~5h) even with multiple parallels... so I heard from a friend.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Falzo said:

@default said: Chia is fun to do, especially if you have a beast server for plotting

it's an interesting ... benchmark. AX101 performs quite well on that (~5h) even with multiple parallels... so I heard from a friend.

Im gonna test it

• kalipuskalipus Member

how is chia plotting perf? can you upload the logs?

• How long did you wait for it?

• yermakyermak Member

Donate cpu power as for example https://foldingathome.org/

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I hear Chia plotting needs 332GB storage and it "destroys" SSD.
    Then why not use a 384GB RAM server and run plotting in RAM?

I once had a 128GB VPS from VirMach $999 special.
    If I ordered three at that time and have them stacked, I would be rich now.

Anyway, I can't understand what's the purpose of Chia.
    It's probably a California thing that they put it in smoothies.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@yoursunny said:
    I hear Chia plotting needs 332GB storage and it "destroys" SSD.
    Then why not use a 384GB RAM server and run plotting in RAM?

I once had a 128GB VPS from VirMach $999 special.
    If I ordered three at that time and have them stacked, I would be rich now.

Anyway, I can't understand what's the purpose of Chia.
    It's probably a California thing that they put it in smoothies.

• Yes. Chia destroys the SSD, but in this case is Hetzner. They will replace it.
    • Yes, Chia could be done in RAM, but lots of RAM is also expensive.

Chia is a lottery, and people love to gamble, especially if they have lots of storage laying around and gathering dust. Besides, some people really like the feeling of having servers working on something, anything, even if it's all just speculation with lottery tickets. This is why I called it fun, like some weird form of entertainment to take our minds off this pandemic.

• zxrlhazxrlha Member

:p Write your own code to use it.

:s I also have a dedi, and they do not allow mining.
    Few days ago I got an idea that I can run some computational heavy codes on it,
    and now I am busying with writing code.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Rich people

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@ericls said:
    Rich people

You think that's rich?? Check the news and read the magazines; there you see the rich and sometimes selfish people. Spending a few dollars more on an idling server is not rich, it's just beautiful passion for computers combined with a lack of inspiration in giving them purpose. After all, we are all humans, and great ideas don't drop from heavens; yet it's in our nature to create more and evolve more.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@zxrlha said:

You know, I made this software that can send packets at 106Gbps speeds: https://doi.org/10.1145/3405656.3418715
    I asked every provider for 100Gbps layer 2 pipe, and nobody would sell me one at $84 or less.

Now I'm busy writing code to get to 200Gbps speeds.
    I hope I can get a 200Gbps pipe for $84.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • zxrlhazxrlha Member

@yoursunny said:

@zxrlha said:

You know, I made this software that can send packets at 106Gbps speeds: https://doi.org/10.1145/3405656.3418715
    I asked every provider for 100Gbps layer 2 pipe, and nobody would sell me one at $84 or less.

Now I'm busy writing code to get to 200Gbps speeds.
    I hope I can get a 200Gbps pipe for $84.

You can write the code in another way, that you need an AX101 to reach 1Gbps.
    Then you can maximize CPU and port speed at the same time.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

@default said:

@ericls said:
    Rich people

You think that's rich?? Check the news and read the magazines; there you see the rich and sometimes selfish people. Spending a few dollars more on an idling server is not rich, it's just beautiful passion for computers combined with a lack of inspiration in giving them purpose. After all, we are all humans, and great ideas don't drop from heavens; yet it's in our nature to create more and evolve more.

I appreciate your enthusiasm in human!

• WilliamWilliam Member

@default said: Yes. Chia destroys the SSD, but in this case is Hetzner. They will replace it.

For now. Read the ToS, Abusive use of the hardware can get you cancelled.

• wotetiwoteti Member

AX101 is Finland only it seems, too bad.

• KaffekoppKaffekopp Barred
    edited May 2021

Its a beast of a server. Currently just using it for plotting chia (idk why i even bother, but lets try it). If i dont find any usecase for it, ill cancel it before the 14 day refund thing hetzner has. Turns out plotting, uploading to cloud, and use a tiny Debian vps for farming works alright. Will be fun to see if i can get some free money from it after a while.

That said, i could be willing to transfer it, but if i am to transfer it, i need my costs on it covered (setup, first month).

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Falzo said:

Interesting. Likely not gonna do this myself but if you don't mind sharing a bit more details feel free to send a pm :)

• JioJio Member

@Kaffekopp said: Its a beast of a server. Currently just using it for plotting chia (idk why i even bother, but lets try it). If i dont find any usecase for it, ill cancel it before the 14 day refund thing hetzner has. Turns out plotting, uploading to cloud, and use a tiny Debian vps for farming works alright. Will be fun to see if i can get some free money from it after a while.

https://www.hetzner.com/rechtliches/root-server/

You are breaking Hetzner AUP

Thanked by 2NetDynamics24 lentro
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@Jio said:

@Kaffekopp said: Its a beast of a server. Currently just using it for plotting chia (idk why i even bother, but lets try it). If i dont find any usecase for it, ill cancel it before the 14 day refund thing hetzner has. Turns out plotting, uploading to cloud, and use a tiny Debian vps for farming works alright. Will be fun to see if i can get some free money from it after a while.

https://www.hetzner.com/rechtliches/root-server/

You are breaking Hetzner AUP

AUP?! What is that? Nobody cares about AUP. Now it's a race for who gets more thousands of dollars, as each coin is valued above $1000 as we speak. To the moon!

Edit: Maybe even providers will stop their idling servers and start plotting, because it's more profitable. To the moon!

Thanked by 1yoursunny