Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocation in SF Bay Area
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Colocation in SF Bay Area

theuniversestheuniverses Member
edited May 5 in Requests

Does anyone know of good deals on colocation in the San Francisco Bay Area for 1U and/or 1/4 cabinet? I only need 100mbps connectivity and 1IP address. Feel free to PM as well.

Thanks!

Comments

  • doughnetdoughnet Member

    I’ve been using AquaNX for years. Been real good.

    Cheap 1u colo.

    Thanked by 1theuniverses
  • @doughnet said:
    I’ve been using AquaNX for years. Been real good.

    Cheap 1u colo.

    Would you be willing to PM me rough $ amount?

  • ddpsddps Member, Provider

    We can help you :smile:

    PMed

    Thanked by 1theuniverses

    DDPS - cost-effective Japan/Silicon Valley Dedicated Servers/VPS/Colocation

  • JoeFJoeF Member

    I have had a terrible experience with aquanx. By far the worst Colo provider I have ever used.

  • @JoeF said:
    I have had a terrible experience with aquanx. By far the worst Colo provider I have ever used.

    Can you give more details? Issue with setup, remote hands, power, network, etc??

  • JoeFJoeF Member

    @theuniverses said:

    @JoeF said:
    I have had a terrible experience with aquanx. By far the worst Colo provider I have ever used.

    Can you give more details? Issue with setup, remote hands, power, network, etc??

    Setup was fine, network was pretty much just single homed he, remote hands where their downfall. Claimed to have 24/7 on site service but it wasn't just was techs in China saying to wait for business hours.
    The on site techs were generally fine though and would reboot, change drive etc without any issue but if you got through to the main guy he was useless. Wanted something like 70+us to do even the smallest job such as power reset the server knowing that you are stuck and have to use him. They try to get you in on the cheap monthly fee then charge you extortionate prices for everything else. Ipv6 setup for example is 100us.

    Thanked by 1theuniverses
  • JoeFJoeF Member
    edited May 5

    I ended up paying them 90us to unrack + package the server but they used virtually 0 packaging material so when the server got back to the UK it was ruined. I ended up having to dispose of it. Picture of the box + packing material they used.
    https://imgur.com/a/NjTvlng

    Thanked by 1theuniverses
  • theuniversestheuniverses Member
    edited May 5

    Thanks for the info. I am local to the area, so the unrack + shipping is less of a concern for me. I really just need reliable power and network.

  • pierrepierre Member

    @theuniverses said:
    Thanks for the info. I am local to the area, so the unrack + shipping is less of a concern for me. I really just need reliable power and network.

    Doubt they provide DC Access for Single server, let alone a 1/4 Rack. 90% of the time it's a shared environment, so there are other clients in the rack.

    I'd recommend contacting them directly about DC Access. I know because I got stuck a couple of times in some single server colo's that just completely sucked ass, and had to pay a hefty derack fee.

  • JoeFJoeF Member

    I am 90% sure that they can arrange an appointment for DC access.

  • @pierre said:

    @theuniverses said:
    Thanks for the info. I am local to the area, so the unrack + shipping is less of a concern for me. I really just need reliable power and network.

    Doubt they provide DC Access for Single server, let alone a 1/4 Rack. 90% of the time it's a shared environment, so there are other clients in the rack.

    I'd recommend contacting them directly about DC Access. I know because I got stuck a couple of times in some single server colo's that just completely sucked ass, and had to pay a hefty derack fee.

    Yeah I understand I won’t get access but I can still drop off the server in person for them to rack it and when they unrack it, I can physically come by to pick it up.

  • pierrepierre Member

    @theuniverses said:
    Yeah I understand I won’t get access but I can still drop off the server in person for them to rack it and when they unrack it, I can physically come by to pick it up.

    Wouldn't matter, you'd still have to pay the derack fee (roughly $50-$100). Remote Hands is overall expensive, and from what I've seen, it's cheaper to get a rack that grants you access to your rack, than paying the remote hands fees. You would of course have to be local to the area, or I've seen some larger scale companies that aren't from the area commission someone to do work for them.

    Do note, you can just be a lucky person and have 0 issues. I personally am very unlucky and I'm in my rack almost 2-3 times a week doing maintenance. I've been so fed up with some remote hands jobs that I just do everything myself. Saves me time, hassle, and money.

  • qpsqps Member, Provider

    I think you all may need to adjust your expectations about the services data centers provide.

    $50-100 to de-rack/package a server is super cheap compared to many other data centers. Many data centers like Digital Realty, Equinix, etc. would charge at least a full hour of remote hands, which is $225 or more.

    Asking data center remote hands to package a server for shipment without providing them with a box and packing materials is going to result in problems. They don't usually have access to packing materials (except whatever comes in on that day), so if the data center will even do it (many won't), you're likely to get something inadequate like what @JoeF posted above. Data center providers can't store boxes, packing materials, etc. to have available on demand when you want to cancel. Your best bet is to source a box and packing materials and ship them to the data center. Or, when you ship in a server, include a prepaid label to have them ship back the box you shipped in and store it yourself until you're ready to ship out.

    Thanked by 1lentro

    QuickPacket - Charlotte, Los Angeles, Chicago, Manchester UK

  • theuniversestheuniverses Member
    edited May 5

    @pierre said:

    @theuniverses said:
    Yeah I understand I won’t get access but I can still drop off the server in person for them to rack it and when they unrack it, I can physically come by to pick it up.

    Wouldn't matter, you'd still have to pay the derack fee (roughly $50-$100). Remote Hands is overall expensive, and from what I've seen, it's cheaper to get a rack that grants you access to your rack, than paying the remote hands fees. You would of course have to be local to the area, or I've seen some larger scale companies that aren't from the area commission someone to do work for them.

    Do note, you can just be a lucky person and have 0 issues. I personally am very unlucky and I'm in my rack almost 2-3 times a week doing maintenance. I've been so fed up with some remote hands jobs that I just do everything myself. Saves me time, hassle, and money.

    In the past, I’ve been able to negotiate some free/included remote hands hours on a yearly contract, which I applied to deracking and packaging for shipping.

  • ddpsddps Member, Provider

    @JoeF said:
    I am 90% sure that they can arrange an appointment for DC access.

    I can confirm that.

    I've been to the data center couple times and they didn't charge for it.
    However, I'm not sure whether they still charge you the derack fee or not.

    By the way, their on-site staff are great and they will help you if you have any problems.

    DDPS - cost-effective Japan/Silicon Valley Dedicated Servers/VPS/Colocation

Sign In or Register to comment.