Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any software out there that i can run on my linux box to track changes on website online?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there any software out there that i can run on my linux box to track changes on website online?

I am looking to track changes on website hidden behind some forms to be input and response as a javascript and then inform me via discord/email etc

Would be grateful for any help in this regard

Comments

• You're probably gonna have to write your own script to do it.

Python isn't too hard if you're just using the requests library. It might get complicated if you have to emulate a full browser (Selenium).

• ah no easier way? I was thinking of installing a addon macro on a firefox browser and somehow get it to also email me on changes

• I'm not sure to understand all what you are asking. Maybe a monitoring system like UptimeRobot or HetrixTools with keyword tracking could help?

• muneebrocksmuneebrocks Member
    edited May 2021
  • Have a butcher's hook at Huginn https://github.com/huginn/huginn

• thanks huginn looks interesting I will check it out!

• Also beehive if you want something that isn't docker https://github.com/muesli/beehive

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited May 2021

Xmacro is the easiest solution I guess, takes minutes to learn. Recorded macros can be executed (or edited) from terminal. Use the $DISPLAY parameter to tell it where your browser is running, start recording and that's it.

Xmacro should be available through package manager, there are tutorials online.

In short, once your macro reached that Javascript text just feed it into clipboard (might be tricky to find the best position for triple left mouse clicks emulation but you'll figure it out) and then you can use xclip (a different program) to read back from clipboard and further process result on terminal, you can also take a screenshot using tools like xwd etc.