Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lowest specced possible VPS for DA
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lowest specced possible VPS for DA

I'm looking for the lowest specced/priced VPS that can run DA.

Some providers also give DA as an extra, that would be nice as well. But if not that's no issue.

Comments

• _MS__MS_ Member

This page says:

Hardware
    We highly recommend a processor of at least 500 Mhz even though DirectAdmin will run on slower systems. The more cores the better.

A minimum 1 GB of memory is required (2+ GB is preferred), with at least 2 GB of swap memory. (CentOS 8: 2Gig required, 4+ Gig preferred).

A hard drive with at least 2 gigabytes of free space (after the Linux install) is also required, not including any website data.

I've seen shared hosts using DirectAdmin on 2 vCPU and 4 GB RAM servers.

Thanked by 2serv_ee raindog308
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member

Yeah I mean I'm not even going to host anything on it I just need the VPS and DA for learning purposes for one of my mates. I'm quite aware of the specs needed but just seeing if anyone can drop me an offer :)

Thanks though!

• For testing you can use 512MB but will struggle when updating, compiling, etc DirectAdmin. If you won’t be hosting on it and purely for testing then go with a 1GB VPS from BuyVM or Inception Hosting.

• edited May 2021

@Francisco with BuyVM.
    $2/m with free DA
    You just gotta wait it out for stock to become available (I believe usually on the 7th)
    Or @seriesn - nexus bytes comes with free DA as well (look at entry bytes for cheaper alternative)

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited May 2021

If you are not going to do any real hosting on it and want something cheap with a free DA license. This Anynode Easter special still works and will give you plenty of space.

KVM 2G Promo
    2GB Ram
    30 GB SSD Storage
    1x Shared vCPU Core (2.6GHz+)
    3TB Monthly Bandwidth
    1Gbit Public Network Port
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address
    /48 IPv6 Subnet
    $15 yearly
    https://billing.anynode.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=219
    Free DirectAdmin License Standard license, please ticket after service is provisioned

EDIT: Note that this is using their in house Dahlia panel. https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/170804/%F0%9F%A5%9Aeaster-2021-megathread/p1

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

You can try DA even on 512 MB RAM , just make sure you have 2GB or so SWAP, works fine. You can get all that in $2pm with including DA @Francisco buvym.net

• seriesnseriesn Member

@serv_ee said:

Some providers also give DA as an extra, that would be nice as well. But if not that's no issue.

What’s up boss! Why struggle with too little when you can get some delicious EntryBytes <3

• serv_eeserv_ee Member

@seriesn said:

@serv_ee said:

What’s up boss! Why struggle with too little when you can get some delicious EntryBytes <3

How does your DA license work? Should I just ticket in after ordering or..? :)

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • seriesnseriesn Member

@serv_ee said:

@seriesn said:

@serv_ee said:

How does your DA license work? Should I just ticket in after ordering or..? :)

There’s a direct order link for existing family members :). But, feel free to pop in a ticket :)

• @FrankZ said:
    If you are not going to do any real hosting on it and want something cheap with a free DA license. This Anynode Easter special still works and will give you plenty of space.

KVM 2G Promo
    2GB Ram
    30 GB SSD Storage
    1x Shared vCPU Core (2.6GHz+)
    3TB Monthly Bandwidth
    1Gbit Public Network Port
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address
    /48 IPv6 Subnet
    $15 yearly
    https://billing.anynode.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=219
    Free DirectAdmin License Standard license, please ticket after service is provisioned

EDIT: Note that this is using their in house Dahlia panel. https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/170804/%F0%9F%A5%9Aeaster-2021-megathread/p1

this VPS very good.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

512MB isn't OK for DA unless you're only doing DNS hosting on it.

You really need to be at least 2GB if you can afford it.

MySQL 5+ and the newer PHP's really gobble RAM and on even a 1GB plan you're likely going to be slapping swap.

Francisco

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

2gb nginx or 4gb apache + a ryzen or e3 core id just get a slice