Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UptimeRobot alternative?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UptimeRobot alternative?

UptimeRobot is closing their custom domain status page for free users. Got this mail from them some days ago:

Dear UptimeRobot user,

We’re seeing an unprecedented number of Status pages created each week and it’s starting to cause some problems. Therefore we have decided to support custom linked domain Status pages to PRO plan users only.

The main reason is the huge load on our systems and the issuance and renewal of SSL certificates hitting several 3rd party service rate limits while slowing down the process of activating new Status pages significantly.

We still want to offer a lot of useful free services to our community and users, but we need to focus on quality and reliability too.

What does it mean for you?
Please, consider upgrading to the PRO plan so you can continue using your linked domain Status page(s) while getting even more PRO plan benefits like 1-minute intervals and SSL monitoring.

Otherwise, your linked Status page(s) will be stopped on May 5th, 2021. All your status pages will be still available on the unique UptimeRobot URL (e.g. stats.uptimerobot.com/xxx).

Any better alternative?

Thanked by 1xms

Comments

• HetrixTools! They're great.

Thanked by 1AmirGT
  • LeviLevi Member

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:
    HetrixTools! They're great.

Until they also starts to charge for current free stuff. Just pay that quid and be done with it. UR is good service.

Thanked by 2AmirGT mrTom
  • freshping if you are looking for the alternative but hetrixtools is the only quality solution

Thanked by 1AmirGT
  • bdlbdl Member
    edited May 2021

statuscake.com and hetrix

Thanked by 1AmirGT
  • HetrixTools!

Thanked by 1AmirGT
  • pierrepierre Member
    edited May 2021

I recommend Hetrix for public status pages, but if you're using something for your own records, I recommend Zabbix.

Hetrix Pros:

Free to use
    1-minute intervals, compared to 5-minute UptimeRobot intervals
    Email Notifications (UR has it too)
    Server Agent - Ability to view Live Node Stats
    Monitor Software/Hardware RAID
    Discord, Slack, etc Notifications

Hetrix Cons:

White Label shit is completely useless and a pain in the ass to setup
    False alarms
    No Auto Adjust logo

Zabbix is overall a better and open source project. You can get immediately notified if your CPU Usage is too high.

Thanked by 2Abd AmirGT
  • rootedrooted Member

I'm happy with HetrixTools. I connect it with my Telegram to receive notification if my servers down.

Thanked by 2AmirGT coreflux
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2021
  • SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

Just giving it a brief look, its still missing a multi location option for the backed. (so we can have like 3 vps => only show down if all 3 back ends report unreachable).

Thanked by 1AmirGT
  • AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2021

@AmirGT said: All your status pages will be still available on the unique UptimeRobot URL (e.g. stats.uptimerobot.com/xxx).

What's wrong with having their unique link e.g: stats.uptimerobot.com/xxx and iframe to your subdomain.domain.tld i.e:

create subdomain: status.yourdomain.tld and create file index.html with code posted in pastebin link:

https://pastebin.com/ui4KLLm0

Since i was not able to paste the code here due to cloudflare, replace xxx with your unique link and you are good to go.

• AmirGTAmirGT Member

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I thought about something better. UptimeRobot provides API so why don't we make use of it?

I've searched on GitHub and found a script that provides you almost the same features as UptimeRobot's page and it's very easy to set up, just go to UR, create a read-only API, edit config.js and done!

Here's the script link and here's a demo.

What do you guys think about it? (Regardless it's Chinese)

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@pierre said:
    I recommend Hetrix for public status pages, but if you're using something for your own records, I recommend Zabbix.

Hetrix Pros:

Free to use
    1-minute intervals, compared to 5-minute UptimeRobot intervals
    Email Notifications (UR has it too)
    Server Agent - Ability to view Live Node Stats
    Monitor Software/Hardware RAID
    Discord, Slack, etc Notifications

Hetrix Cons:

White Label shit is completely useless and a pain in the ass to setup
    False alarms
    No Auto Adjust logo

Zabbix is overall a better and open source project. You can get immediately notified if your CPU Usage is too high.

Haven't received a single false alarm with Hetrixtools since I use them, using them for ~1.5 years now. I would even pay them, just not as much as the lowest plan they offer.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • lukgthlukgth Member

@AmirGT said:
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I thought about something better. UptimeRobot provides API so why don't we make use of it?

I've searched on GitHub and found a script that provides you almost the same features as UptimeRobot's page and it's very easy to set up, just go to UR, create a read-only API, edit config.js and done!

Here's the script link and here's a demo.

What do you guys think about it? (Regardless it's Chinese)

Looks great! Gonna try it out, just translated it myself already.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@SGraf said:

Just giving it a brief look, its still missing a multi location option for the backed. (so we can have like 3 vps => only show down if all 3 back ends report unreachable).

Added to the experimental branch, however its only partial tested yet.
    You can add as many as remote checkpoints as you like and configure the amount of checks that will be done and how the threshold before its marked as online.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran

Not sure how useful my comment will be, but I'm using a service called BetterUptime - Got a lifetime deal from AppSumo a while back. Works great. Example status page: https://uptime.dns.tg/. They also have heartbeat monitoring (where you have to periodically hit a URL and they warn you if a ping is missed), which is very useful - I use it for pretty much all my cronjobs (backups, etc)

Unfortunately I think they're not doing the lifetime deal any more.

• On the side of HetrixTools, since you may look for a self hosted solution, i've also started a prometheus Docker stack: https://github.com/stefanprodan/dockprom
    Requires to know how Docker and HTTP works. There is base Grafana dashboards made to show host node metrics and hosted containers metrics.

HetrixTools is just prem everywhere as a free solution. Check just all forum threads! They offer a large panel of options to monitor properly and you choose the location of probes. And with their client you have all nodes metrics and you can public what you want of those metrics in your status pages. That's just SO NICE! I'm a past user of UptimeRobot and HetrixTools is the next level, imho.

• If you need to monitor sites and you can't afford the $84/yr for 50 monitors which UptimeRobot provides... you might need to re-evaluate your business.

(This doesn't apply if you're just monitoring one or two personal sites.)

Thanked by 3yomero coreflux mrTom
  • pierrepierre Member

@hackerman said:
    If you need to monitor sites and you can't afford the $84/yr for 50 monitors which UptimeRobot provides... you might need to re-evaluate your business.

Honestly, UptimeRobot is not the best for your money. HetrixTools which has a lot more to offer is a bit more. Even with the Free-Tier, you get more than enough. Check their pricing out.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • blaze_nblaze_n Member

any other good alternative? except HetrixTools

• lanefulanefu Member

Uptime robot is pretty great IMHO.. but otherwise.. roll your own with Prometheus + Blackbox-exporter and grafana

• @hackerman said:
    If you need to monitor sites and you can't afford the $84/yr for 50 monitors which UptimeRobot provides... you might need to re-evaluate your business.

Where does he state he needs it for business? Even if it's for business, if it's not revenue producing, someone has to find solutions.

Thanked by 2Ouji skorous
  • Thank you for sharing, definitvely the kind of smart project i like!

• seriesnseriesn Member
    Thanked by 1NodePing
  • desfiredesfire Member
    edited May 2021

@AlbaHost said:

@AmirGT said: All your status pages will be still available on the unique UptimeRobot URL (e.g. stats.uptimerobot.com/xxx).

What's wrong with having their unique link e.g: stats.uptimerobot.com/xxx and iframe to your subdomain.domain.tld i.e:

create subdomain: status.yourdomain.tld and create file index.html with code posted in pastebin link:

Since i was not able to paste the code here due to cloudflare, replace xxx with your unique link and you are good to go.

UpTimeRobot does not allow iframes tho

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2021

@desfire said:

@AlbaHost said:

They have iframes blocked!

Yes they did a day or two after, in their email notification was the reason why they are closing the free customers due to SSL etc, which was not true at all. When they figured out that people are using iframe to their xxx unique link, they blocked it. Just move on to https://www.atlassian.com/software/statuspage

use as iframe it will work very well.

Thanked by 2Abd AmirGT
  • ghanwarghanwar Member

Thank you for all the information. :)

• AmirGTAmirGT Member

I found this, looks nice too.