Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I find it very unprofessional from d.o to not offer more images
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I find it very unprofessional from d.o to not offer more images

duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
edited November 2013 in General

But that's just me, does anyone else feel the same?

You're supposed to be a new-age server provider. I mean, that's what the image d.o is trying to provide right? But you're so limited on the amount of distro/os images.

Something that isn't that big a deal yet, but its something worth mentioning IMO, is the lack of ipv6.

That's just my personal opinion, does anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• IMHO they don't need to offer more images, they should offer the option to install from your own ISO.

Thanked by 2Maounique hotsnow
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2013

@rds100 said:
    IMHO they don't need to offer more images, they should offer the option to install from your own ISO.

Yeah, that and the option to change kernel in an easy way.
    But not too important as long as there are alternatives with all those features for the same money.
    If DO was not free, they would have not been so popular. But nobody can beat free at that service level, so, props to them, but people complain even for free products :)

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • said: But that's just me, does anyone else feel the same?

Not offering a product/service that you specifically want and/or need doesn't necessarily make a company unprofessional. It would be as simple as, perhaps, that the company just doesn't meet your particular needs and/or desires.

• Funny how in OP's signature there is an affiliated link to DO :)

• In my opinion I think DO is great for the price but indeed they could offer more ISO's.

• Yeah, He made this thread to get attention by making a negative comment about a fairly well liked provider to get people to look at it and hopefully click his signature.

Sad.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well they have a full development, testing and release cycle for every image, that is because they use images on KVM not ISO's further more the whole system relies on nested kernels and I suspect file/directory based storage rather than virtual disk images, this in turn allows them to cleverly use KVM like it is OpenVZ in many respects.

With that in mind it is not surprising they don't have more images because the images do not simply rely on user management only, they are much more complex, so it is not because they are unprofessional, it is because they follow standards and are actually incredibly professional.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • TekStorm_James said: Not offering a product/service that you specifically want and/or need doesn't necessarily make a company unprofessional. It would be as simple as, perhaps, that the company just doesn't meet your particular needs and/or desires.

That's just my opinion, it's just a matter of taste.

zhuanyi said: Funny how in OP's signature there is an affiliated link to DO :)

I love DO. This just bothers me.

AnthonySmith said: With that in mind it is not surprising they don't have more images because the images do not simply rely on user management only, they are much more complex, so it is not because they are unprofessional, it is because they follow standards and are actually incredibly professional.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.