Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good Porkbun alternative?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any good Porkbun alternative?

I have a few domains with Porkbun. Good feeling and stable in the past. However, they just suspended one of my domain due a a stupid reason "phishing" because I simply redirected to a Russian website rutube. I never had any warning or notification from them and the domains was simply suspended until my customer ask me about it. I'm afraid these similar stupid issues will happen again. So, is there any good alternatives of Porkbun? I'm having a few .date and .stream domains there. Thanks.

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited April 2021

Lots.

Dynadot and Namecheap to name a few.

• @thedp said: Namecheap

Does Namecheap have life time privacy protection for free when I have domain with them? I saw it on Namecheap but not sure if it's just for the first year or life time.

Thanks.

• OK I saw it's free forever when I'm transfer to Namecheap. Thanks All.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

NameCheap & NameSilo do free whois privacy

Thanked by 1Greyhound
  • LeviLevi Member

Cloudflare. CF registrar has no margin and you get DNS

Thanked by 2Greyhound Ouji
  • Everyone can become shady & greedy at some point. Keep your eyes open take action accordingly. For now I suggest Namesilo, Dynadot. Avoid Sav as their system is buggy and can break things.

• Namesilo is the 🐐

• @oborseth said: There are a lot of comments over the weekend and I can't deep dive into each one but I do want to reiterate that we switched course on this particular practice since it erroneously affected a user. Our intent was not to suspend a legitimate domain, obviously, our intent was to deal with phishing sites, malware distribution, and botnets; all of which we do not want using our services for reasons that should need no explanation. Although it's illusive, I promise we're striving for 100% perfection Even as we continue to grow, the most important thing is to do right by our users and I'll always be pushing us to do better.

Peace!

@oborseth this is a bit scary, did you guys changed your course again?

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited April 2021

@Greyhound said: Does Namecheap have life time privacy protection for free when I have domain with them?

A large number of domain registrars offer free WHOIS privacy now, as it helped them become compliant with GDPR for European customers. Some still offer "WHOIS privacy" as a paid feature, but even if you don't purchase it, your address will still be redacted from public whois (it'll just show your name and country, nothing else).

• NameSilo and CloudFlare are quite good :).

• +1 for Registrar CloudFlare

• oborsethoborseth Member, Host Rep

@alexvolk said:

@oborseth said: There are a lot of comments over the weekend and I can't deep dive into each one but I do want to reiterate that we switched course on this particular practice since it erroneously affected a user. Our intent was not to suspend a legitimate domain, obviously, our intent was to deal with phishing sites, malware distribution, and botnets; all of which we do not want using our services for reasons that should need no explanation. Although it's illusive, I promise we're striving for 100% perfection Even as we continue to grow, the most important thing is to do right by our users and I'll always be pushing us to do better.

Peace!

Thanks for tagging me. We did not change course. We do take action when we get a report and can verify phishing or some other malicious activity though. In this particular case we got a report from the site itself and were able to verify that the domain in question was loading the site either via reverse proxy or some other mechanism to mask the actual site itself. Since the reporter was the site itself, we were obligated to take action.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Greyhound said:
    I have a few domains with Porkbun.

Me too. But what I'm more interested in: any comment to @oborseth's statement?

FWIW: I had no bad experience with them so far but today I wouldn't entrust a domain to a company in Portland, Oregon (iirc). anymore.

• JioJio Member

@jsg said: FWIW: I had no bad experience with them so far but today I wouldn't entrust a domain to a company in Portland, Oregon (iirc). anymore.

Is this because the city is full of "woke" antifa?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Jio said:

@jsg said: FWIW: I had no bad experience with them so far but today I wouldn't entrust a domain to a company in Portland, Oregon (iirc). anymore.

Is this because the city is full of "woke" antifa?

Yes (although I would describe it differently). Maybe that means nothing and porkbun consists of a straight-minded team with a professional attitude. Maybe. But I'm many thousands of kilometers away and can't be sure, so I prefer to play it safely and highly likely will transfer my domains to another registry.

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited April 2021

@oborseth said: We do take action when we get a report and can verify phishing or some other malicious activity though.

Did you guys contacted the customer and let them know about the issue?

@Greyhound said: I never had any warning or notification from them and the domains was simply suspended until my customer ask me about it.

Looks like no at all.

__

I have also a few domains with you but this doesn't look good.

Basically having a proxified site doesn't mean it's phishing? Some sites are blocked in some regions and a lot of domain names are doing it?

I'm not sure if you're trying to do be internet police and suspending domains without properly notifying customers about the problem.

This is sad and scary to lose a domain name anytime, would never recommend porkbun again and will be moving domain names away, poink.

• r0xzr0xz Member

@alexvolk said: Did you guys contacted the customer and let them know about the issue?

suspend first, talk later.

see the previous discussion.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/163205/issues-with-porkbun-incase-any-one-may-help/p1

• @r0xz said:

@alexvolk said: Did you guys contacted the customer and let them know about the issue?

suspend first, talk later.

see the previous discussion.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/163205/issues-with-porkbun-incase-any-one-may-help/p1

Yeah, they have disabled Google Safe Browsing but this time looks like no notification was given at all.

Definitely, needs clarification about the notification they did send or didn't give a **** about the customer.

• Suggest trying Beefroll or Lambkebab.

• @alexvolk said: I'm not sure if you're trying to do be internet police and suspending domains without properly notifying customers about the problem.

I see gatekeepers everywhere.

• :popcorn: required.

• @Daniel15 said: but even if you don't purchase it, your address will still be redacted from public whois

Registries gone thin, registrars didn't.

• namecheap, namesilo, gandi.net

• @oborseth said:

@alexvolk said:

@oborseth said: There are a lot of comments over the weekend and I can't deep dive into each one but I do want to reiterate that we switched course on this particular practice since it erroneously affected a user. Our intent was not to suspend a legitimate domain, obviously, our intent was to deal with phishing sites, malware distribution, and botnets; all of which we do not want using our services for reasons that should need no explanation. Although it's illusive, I promise we're striving for 100% perfection Even as we continue to grow, the most important thing is to do right by our users and I'll always be pushing us to do better.

Peace!

Thanks for tagging me. We did not change course. We do take action when we get a report and can verify phishing or some other malicious activity though. In this particular case we got a report from the site itself and were able to verify that the domain in question was loading the site either via reverse proxy or some other mechanism to mask the actual site itself. Since the reporter was the site itself, we were obligated to take action.

How exactly did you guys verify this and why the owner of the domain does not get any sort of notice when it comes to this? What was the phishing about and can someone literally report another domain registered at porkbun and get it down just like that? A similar thread has been linked above and this situation seems very similar, there should always be a notification sent to the owner of the domain for at least 24 hours in advance to solve the problem and not just straight suspending the domain.

• LeviLevi Member

Just avoid at all costs. There is hundreds of registrars which is better/cheaper. Just don't feed bogus practices with money and eventually they will adapt or perish.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

This is not good.
    I just escaped NetDynamics24 and moved to Porkbun, and now this?

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @Greyhound said: I have a few domains with Porkbun. Good feeling and stable in the past. However, they just suspended one of my domain due a a stupid reason "phishing" because I simply redirected to a Russian website rutube. I never had any warning or notification from them and the domains was simply suspended until my customer ask me about it. I'm afraid these similar stupid issues will happen again. So, is there any good alternatives of Porkbun? I'm having a few .date and .stream domains there. Thanks.

There was a discussion here last 2 months or so about Porkbun suspending domains. You can find similar discussions on Namepros/DNforum. Though after customer backslash they did post that'll take care implementing their domain suspension policy. But it seems they do not (yet) care about their customers' domain. Best way is to avoid Porkbun at all costs.

Many EU and U.S. based registrars provide free domain privacy as standard with every registration/transfer excluding Chinese/HK based registrars.

The safe providers are ofcourse namesilo, namecheap, easydns, and if you are looking for Europe, then go with gandi, hexonet, or 123 reg or domaindiscount24.

And still safest would be Reg.Ru/Reg.com if you are much inclined to Russian ones.

And best one people use is ilovewww from Shinjiru (Asia). They don't reply to any fuckin' abuse reports, nor do they act upon it. So be asured they'll not suspend your domain. But they are bit costly.. a .com is $13/yr vs $8.99 at namesilo. They are top among spamhaus botnet/CC registrar list including namecheap and namesilo.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@yoursunny said:
    This is not good.
    I just escaped NetDynamics24 and moved to Porkbun, and now this?

When shit hits the fan, try moving to Dynadot or Namecheap.

Thanked by 2yoursunny JasonM
  • @kalimov622 said: porkbun and get it down just like that? A similar thread has been linked above and this situation seems very similar, there should always be a notification sent to the owner of the domain for at least 24 hours in advance to solve the problem and not just straight suspending the domain.

Yes, Porkbun and Radix registry (that sells .online, .store, .shop and 100s) other do rely on external site (but authentic) phishing reports. Suppose a customer's domain get listed in that public database, it will alert the registrar and boom! the domain gets suspended. Porkbun uses Google Safe Browsing to detect bad domains. They also rely on public who can send a complain. Normally other registrars would send a notification to remove infected phishing files as most of the time its one or two files that are infected or entire domain is hijacked. Domain-owner can then manually find and delete those file withing say 24 or 48 hrs. There are even automated tools that crawl entire site to find such files. But suspending domains without notification is a bad business practice unless that particular customer repeat defaulter.

• Google.com/domains
    CloudFlare.com
    Njal.la
    Internet.bs