Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reliable DNS resolvers to use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reliable DNS resolvers to use?

upfreakupfreak Member
edited March 2012 in General

Be it a regular VPS or cPanel coated, we need dns resolvers. so how many of you use the common ones and how many use the provider given resolvers?

8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 - Google
4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.1 - verizon
wat else?

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

@peppr said: 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.1 - verizon

I thought that's Level 3.

Either way I use both a mixture of those two or the DC or providers internal DNS resolvers depending on what I'm feeling like. I prefer Level3 though.

• @Infinity said: I thought that's Level 3

yeah me too. :P

i think i prefer 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 sometimes google resolver little bit slow for releasing they cache.

• Don't forget open DNS as well:

http://www.opendns.com/

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I find OpenDNS a little slow and wierd tbh.

• KeithKeith Member

I use 127.0.0.1 with pdns-recursor running on the server.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2012

@Keith
    pdns-recursor = pdnsd???

I was using pdnsd, was great until I found the domains .co.uk (and maybe others). Strangely pdnsd never was able to solve this domains o_O

I switched to maradns, is good, but when you are using fully your connection it starts to timeout the requests, so I need to refresh again

I use the same DNSs too (google and verizon)

• @peppr said: so how many of you use the common ones and how many use the provider given resolvers?

I always provide my own services, as it is going to work much faster locally than some service out on the internet. I keep a caching name server in each colo for clients to use, and DHCP will configure those for KVM clients, and already set to them for OpenVZ clients.

• @miTgiB said: already set to them for OpenVZ clients.

Yes i remember seeing one. When i realised i had deleted it already. I shall get it again from you later.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited March 2012

@peppr said: I shall get it again from you later.

Simply restarting your VPS will reset /etc/resolv.conf, but my mixed up jumbled wiki that makes little sense :P

https://hostigation.com/wiki/index.php?title=KVM:Install

Hostigation provided resolvers
    nameserver 69.85.88.3
    nameserver 206.253.164.3 

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited March 2012

@miTiB Thanks, but mine with you is a cpanel dns on a 20/yr vps ;)
    yep set exactly to the ones mentioned.

• @peppr said: but mine with you is a cpanel dns on a 20/yr vps

Yes, and restarting the VPS will reset /etc/resolv.conf, but without restarting, just edit it and 69.85.88 is CLT and 206.253.164 is LAX so depending on which city your VPS is in would dictate what order to list them.

• OpenNIC: http://www.opennicproject.org/publictier2servers

Not as fast as Google, but I'm of the opinion that Google knows too much about me already.

• I like OpenNIC too.

And sometimes:

binfalse.de said: But it is also nice to see, that there is one OpenNIC server that is faster than google!

:)