Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft Announcement Plan To Malaysia DataCenter Singapore Neighbour
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft Announcement Plan To Malaysia DataCenter Singapore Neighbour

gemuruhcogemuruhco Member
edited April 2021 in General

Official from Microsoft can be found here :
https://news.microsoft.com/en-my/2021/04/19/microsoft-announces-plans-to-establish-its-first-datacenter-region-in-malaysia-as-part-of-bersama-malaysia-initiative-to-support-inclusive-economic-growth/

Microsoft Corp. today announced its “Bersama Malaysia” (Together with Malaysia) initiative, which marks a significant commitment to empowering Malaysia’s inclusive digital economy and advancing the nation’s digital transformation across the private and public sectors. As part of the plan, Microsoft will establish its first datacenter region in the country to deliver trusted cloud services locally, with world-class data security, privacy, and the ability to store data in-country.

What do you guys think about this region datacenter?

Thanks

What do you think about this?
  1. What do you think about this?23 votes
    1. Excited
      13.04%
    2. Intresting
      26.09%
    3. Very Good
        4.35%
    4. Normal
      34.78%
    5. Others
      21.74%

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Hooray for Malaysians, but people would prefer Singapore in terms of connectivity I suppose.

• hanoihanoi Member

Hope they consider to build the same in Vietnam or Thailand

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2021

Most importantly on Moon and Mars.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Guessing Malaysia gave MSFT a ton of incentives, tax abatements, etc. How's MY connectivity to the rest of the world? Or maybe that's part of what Microsoft is bringing.

• @thedp said:
    Hooray for Malaysians, but people would prefer Singapore in terms of connectivity I suppose.

even for me i prefer Singapore which is has better connectivity, routing and so all others. Singapore has too many advantage than Malaysia dc . It's the fact since i live in Malaysia i know very well how Malaysia dc operating etc. However, the best dc in Malaysia is AIMS .

Thanks> @deank said:

Most importantly on Moon and Mars.

or Sun to Pluto :smile:

@raindog308 said:
    Guessing Malaysia gave MSFT a ton of incentives, tax abatements, etc. How's MY connectivity to the rest of the world? Or maybe that's part of what Microsoft is bringing.

Maybe. But still lower tax cost than Singapore i think.

If i am wrong , feel free to make it right one.
    Thanks

• Nice, more asian datecenter choice

• @Matt247 said:
    Nice, more asian datecenter choice

Excited, but not the cost. :D

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

More choices is usually better, but in this case I bet 80%+ of the transit will be backhauled via Singapore anyway. Whats the latency like anyway? 10ms?

• google1google1 Member
    edited April 2021

@SplitIce said:
    More choices is usually better, but in this case I bet 80%+ of the transit will be backhauled via Singapore anyway. Whats the latency like anyway? 10ms?

The idea would be to target fintech and malaysia startups targeting local audiences, if they can acquire peering (or most likely ridiculously expensive transit) with the incumbents eyeball networks it has a latency advantage to incountry eyeballs and data locality benefits (compliance in some markets). Thanks to the incumbents it wouldn't ever make sense to host in Malaysia if you're targeting Thai or Singaporeans, well maybe as DR if regulatory/compliance permitted. As you say everything international will go via SG even if you don't see that in an L3 traceroute.

I remember it being closer to 20ms from KL to an SG VPS, I didnt exhaustively test, this was residential broadband possibly Telecom Malaysia

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@google1 I was thinking gov and regulated industries myself but your analysis also makes sense.

• Asia has been booming with new datacenters and companies going there.

I've seen myself that there is a HUGE client base there from all the tech-based countries there.

I feel like it's a good decision and will probably make a hefty buck if it's routed well and speeds are good.