Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storj DCS (Decentralized Cloud Storage) - Transparent pricing, always.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storj DCS (Decentralized Cloud Storage) - Transparent pricing, always.

xiaopiguxiaopigu Member
edited April 2021 in General

Is the price attractive to you? :#

Comments

• sorry, it's not attractive to me. you ca easily find alternate here, when you own the entire server by blockchain?

Thanked by 1William
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

not this storj shit again

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • Check out https://storage.lima-labs.com/ for cheaper and better (none of this decentralized crypto bullshit).

Thanked by 1afn
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Not really too sure what all the hate is...

Why hate on it? Storj/Sia introduce a new level of storage where you're not limited to a single data center but where your data is distributed (no hosts can view your data), thus it is fast, and where replication means it's pretty hard to lose it. Storj and Sia are particularly robust with built in sharding/encryption and a real ecosystem.

And, both seem pretty robust. Sia had > 1m unique users downloading files from public portals last year and Storj has 80 PB irrc.

@vickybus said: when you own the entire server

If you lived through the OVH fire, you'd understand the durability difference :). Decentralized storage solutions mean that there is no single point of failure.

• xetsysxetsys Member
    edited April 2021

While I would love a decentralized storage and reliability but I absolutely hate how it is going to disrupt inventory of storage drives, like GPUs. Its infuriating to have so many resources going to waste when many are deprived.

• @xetsys said: While I would love a decentralized storage and reliability but I absolutely hate how it is going to disrupt inventory of storage drives, like GPUs. Its infuriating to have so many resources going to waste when many are deprived.

at least this has some semblance of utility in any way while chia is making people write drives to death with random rubbish bytes

Thanked by 1bulbasaur

@aiden1 said:

@xetsys said: While I would love a decentralized storage and reliability but I absolutely hate how it is going to disrupt inventory of storage drives, like GPUs. Its infuriating to have so many resources going to waste when many are deprived.

at least this has some semblance of utility in any way while chia is making people write drives to death with random rubbish bytes

For things like Storj, actual files get stored. If a cloud provider buys one less hard drive but a host for Storj buys one more to serve the same need, hard drives shouldn't increase.

But absolutely yes, Chia is not storing data but rather hard drives are used to "farm" it, which is grossly infuriating if it hikes up prices like GPU mining has done.

• @lentro said: For things like Storj, actual files get stored. If a cloud provider buys one less hard drive but a host for Storj buys one more to serve the same need, hard drives shouldn't increase.

in theory. in practice, the same person buying 1TB from [major cloud provider] is not going to know storj exists, or trust it enough to buy 1TB from storj, so in reality this isn't going to be anywhere close to a 1:1 match by orders of magnitude

@aiden1 said: trust it enough to buy 1TB

Well, whoever goes to Storj originally would have gone to a major cloud provider, and as a host of Storj, you only make money if there's demand. Everything balances out.

@aiden1 said: orders of magnitude

Can you elaborate?

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

time to galaxy brain this shit and store CHIA plots onto it.

Francisco

Thanked by 2lentro PulsedMedia
  • PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

So they just dropped their traffic costs 6.5 times compared to 2 weeks ago? That's a good move because I could not see them surviving at all otherwise. Now the harder part - to convince businesses that centralization is actually a bad thing.

• @lentro said:

Why hate on it? Storj/Sia introduce a new level of storage where you're not limited to a single data center but where your data is distributed (no hosts can view your data), thus it is fast, and where replication means it's pretty hard to lose it. Storj and Sia are particularly robust with built in sharding/encryption and a real ecosystem.

And, both seem pretty robust. Sia had > 1m unique users downloading files from public portals last year and Storj has 80 PB irrc.

If you lived through the OVH fire, you'd understand the durability difference :). Decentralized storage solutions mean that there is no single point of failure.

That's why you should go with the server with raid option.! smile:

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@vickybus said:

@lentro said:

That's why you should go with the server with raid option.! smile:

I don't think raid will save my HDDs in a fire

Thanked by 2BlaZe jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It's not an entirely unattractive price. I've been looking at Sia and trying to wrap my mind around implementation strategies as well. We're really starting to see blockchain move from "that word that gets investors panties wet" and into real, tangible technologies. The early money was in pretending to use them "to change the world" but now, the next money is going to be in effectively utilizing them to change markets.

Thanked by 2lentro PulsedMedia