Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Explain SSL to me
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Explain SSL to me

Sorry for the noob question, but can someone clearly explain ssl to me?

Mainly I want to know what I need to get ssl? And how long it lasts?

Would ssl apply to any sub domains?

Would ssl apply to any other domains that are cname set to the ssl domain? Eg. Example2.com cname set to example.com, and example.com has a ssl.

Also what is the more common benefit of having ssl?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• @decay said:
    Sorry for the noob question, but can someone clearly explain ssl to me?

http://info.ssl.com/article.aspx?id=10241

Mainly I want to know what I need to get ssl? And how long it lasts?

https://www.gogetssl.com/ Lasts for a year.

Only with wildcard ssl, which is very expensive. (Often 100s of dollars per year.)

Would ssl apply to any other domains that are cname set to the ssl domain? Eg. Example2.com cname set to example.com, and example.com has a ssl.

No.

Identity verification and encryption.

Thanks in advance.

• Mainly I want to know what I need to get ssl? And how long it lasts?

You'll need a domain, a server with a webserver installed (Apache, Ngninx, etc) or even a shared web host with a dedicated IP. SSL certificates are like domains, the minimum length i've seen is 1 year. After the first year, you renew it.

You can buy an SSL for a subdomain. If you want the SSL to work with xx.com and x.xx.com you'll need to buy a Wildcard SSL.

Nope

Security and encryption.

• @decay said:

As everyone above said, the standard SSL cert won't allow this. But you can also place Example2.com as a Subject Alternative Name (SAN) These certs also tend to be called UCC or multi-domain certs.

A less supported alternative for having a single server host multiple SSL secured domains is vhosting using SNI. Aside from Windows XP and some older mobile browsers, it's pretty well supported. You'd end up with individual SSL certs for each vhost.