Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS on the island of Ireland?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

VPS on the island of Ireland?

I think I already know the answer to this but I'm posting out of sheer desperation in the hope I won't have to check into an asylum. I have a client who, how to put this politely...knows her own mind.

I'm working on a project for her and need a VPS for it. It's just simple web stuff with Wordpress - not many views per day. Technically shared hosting would be fine but as I said she knows what she wants & her friend has told her a VPS is the way to go. His email actually called it a VPL, not a VPS so that gives you an idea of his knowledge.

The issue is that she insists that it is hosted on the island of Ireland (so Northern or Republic is fine). When I initially took on the project I was going to use AWS Lightsail's Ireland region. Which is in budget and would fit her requirments perfectly. Too easy. She initially agreed to this but now she's figured out that the A in AWS stands for Amazon, she wants an alternative. She doesn't like Amazon one bit, as I now repeatedly find out everytime I have to contact her.

I've tried explaining the market to her several times, and also why having it hosted somewhere other than the bit of land she lives on is perfectly fine. She's concerned that because she has an .ie domain, it has to legally be hosted on the island. After having to hold in the laughter I explaind it doesn't but she is having none of it.

Her argument with regard to all other prices being higher the Amazon's is "if Amazon can do it, so can everyone else" and she won't accept she's wrong. I'm losing the battle and will to live.

So my question is, does anyone know of any low-end providers with Republic of Ireland/Northern Ireland locations please?

Something along the lines of 25GB SSD, 1 CPU, 1 or 2GB Ram will be fine. Email is hosted elsewhere so it is just for wordpress. Her budget is around £5 per month, so about $7 or €6. She can go up a little bit. As I say, I'm not expecting to find anything but really hoping there's a provider I don't know about.

Thanks

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint

Comments

  • "Geolocating your IPs in Ireland"
    Heh, will never know the difference. ;)
    (MTR, cough)

    Then=sequence/consequence; than=compare || Brought=bring; bought=buy
    Paid=NotSkint; payed=some naval thing

  • Host it on EntryBytes Netherlands, and tell her it's in Ireland.
    If she looks at geolocation, tell her MaxMind is wrong.
    She's too dumb to figure out traceroute.

    Charge $6 still, and you can pocket the difference to buy stuff on Amazon.

    Thanked by 3chrisp seriesn eingress

    The end is nigh for Ubuntu 16.04. Providers still offering Ubuntu 16.04 past EOL will be ashamed.

  • EnvidaEnvida Member

    Thanks, although OVH say 'Ireland' on the landing page, the data centre location is actually London when you go to order it. She'd probably spot that if it was on an invoice and I don't want to lie to her .

  • The infamous Oneprovider offer Dublin.

  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited April 16

    Just FYI; I have a long-standing IE client (both Wordpress/Woocommerce and other e-commerce) on OVH London and not even bothered about geolocating. ;)

    Then=sequence/consequence; than=compare || Brought=bring; bought=buy
    Paid=NotSkint; payed=some naval thing

  • @Envida said:

    Thanks, although OVH say 'Ireland' on the landing page, the data centre location is actually London when you go to order it. She'd probably spot that if it was on an invoice and I don't want to lie to her .

    how is she paying you enough to do this?

    My Blog rafalblog.xyz
    Contabo GmbH insanely cheap VPS |

  • EnvidaEnvida Member

    @yoursunny said:
    Host it on EntryBytes Netherlands, and tell her it's in Ireland.
    If she looks at geolocation, tell her MaxMind is wrong.
    She's too dumb to figure out traceroute.

    Charge $6 still, and you can pocket the difference to buy stuff on Amazon.

    It's scary what she knows, I'm convinced she's actually a witch. there's times she's mentioned things in emails that I hadn't mentioned to her yet, so she'd find out somehow.

  • EnvidaEnvida Member

    @skorupion said:

    @Envida said:

    Thanks, although OVH say 'Ireland' on the landing page, the data centre location is actually London when you go to order it. She'd probably spot that if it was on an invoice and I don't want to lie to her .

    how is she paying you enough to do this?

    She isn't now. It was supposed to be one of those straight forward jobs. I just didn't know what she was like to work with, she is lovely other than this so I don't really want to upset her, plus I could get other work out of it. She's involved in her local business community.

  • EnvidaEnvida Member

    @AlwaysSkint said:
    Just FYI; I have a long-standing IE client (both Wordpress/Woocommerce and other e-commerce) on OVH London and not even bothered about geolocating. ;)

    I could try the geo-location thing. If she sees Dublin there, she may go for it. I'll run it by her if nothing comes up.

    Thanked by 1skorupion
  • Doesn't sell baby clothes, by any chance?

    Then=sequence/consequence; than=compare || Brought=bring; bought=buy
    Paid=NotSkint; payed=some naval thing

  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Provider

    Dediserv have VPS in Dublin but they're not LowEnd in terms of pricing.

    VM Specialist - Custom, managed and storage VM solutions | Latest Offers

  • @OsirisBlack said:
    The infamous Oneprovider offer Dublin.

    ***Cough.....cheap

  • EnvidaEnvida Member
    edited April 16

    @AlwaysSkint said:
    Doesn't sell baby clothes, by any chance?

    No, she "provides a network for crafters in the region to connect and collaborate". In other words people make shit from wood and fabric and she works out how they can sell it.

    Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • stratagemstratagem Member, Provider
    edited April 16

    Never used them but AccuWeb hosting have VPS in Ireland that are just above the region of your budget.

  • EnvidaEnvida Member
    edited April 16

    @stratagem said:
    Never used them but AccuWeb hosting have VPS in Ireland that are in the region of your budget.

    Thanks, I'll check them out.

  • I use DediServe in Ireland, its pretty good. If you dig deep enough on LET - theres a really old discount that actually still works (can't remember where I found it though).

  • tetechtetech Member

    acroservers.com at 512MB for €5

  • Gonna have a bit of fun running WP in less than 1GB RAM, I reckon.
    Another advantage with OVH is that you could have a dedicated IP for the client (specifically geo-located, perhaps) for very little cost.

    Then=sequence/consequence; than=compare || Brought=bring; bought=buy
    Paid=NotSkint; payed=some naval thing

  • tetechtetech Member

    @AlwaysSkint said:
    Gonna have a bit of fun running WP in less than 1GB RAM, I reckon.
    Another advantage with OVH is that you could have a dedicated IP for the client (specifically geo-located, perhaps) for very little cost.

    Serverwala $6/mo for 1GB if paid yearly. Probably oversold but whatever ticks the box.

    Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited April 16

    Serverwala:

    Ireland - A Server in Bend, Oregon

    Go figure. :|
    Does route via Dublin1.Level3.net though. :)

    Then=sequence/consequence; than=compare || Brought=bring; bought=buy
    Paid=NotSkint; payed=some naval thing

  • LeeLee Member

    @NobodyInteresting said: I use > DediServe in Ireland, its pretty good. If you dig deep enough on LET - theres a really old > discount that actually still works (can't remember where I found it though).

    I have been looking for a discount for them, but can't find one that still works. Anyone else know of one that still works?

  • salakissalakis Member

    @AlwaysSkint said:
    Serverwala:

    Ireland - A Server in Bend, Oregon

    Go figure. :|
    Does route via Dublin1.Level3.net though. :)

    Serverwala looks very legit. Especially their geography skills are very convincing.

  • tetechtetech Member
    edited April 16

    @salakis said:

    @AlwaysSkint said:
    Serverwala:

    Ireland - A Server in Bend, Oregon

    Go figure. :|
    Does route via Dublin1.Level3.net though. :)

    Serverwala looks very legit. Especially their geography skills are very convincing.

    :smiley:

    They do provide VPS service (KVM/Virtualizor) but are one of those that post fake reviews and annoying SEO stuff all over the place to promote themselves. Ugh. No idea about the service itself - 50% steal or what. But they do provide something in Ireland.

  • OhJohnOhJohn Member

    https://www.servebyte.com/VPS starts at 15 Euro per month.

    https://www.letshost.ie/vps/ starts at 20 a month.

    Don't think you'll find anything cheaper that is really Irish and from Ireland...

    Then you have cloudsigma starting at 16 and cloudean start at ~ 22 Euros for their Dublin nodes but those are multi-location providers.

  • They got India right. ;)

    Then=sequence/consequence; than=compare || Brought=bring; bought=buy
    Paid=NotSkint; payed=some naval thing

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider
    edited April 17

    We do have a LET special for 1GB VPS:
    1GB Memory
    10GB SSD
    1 vCore CPU
    2TB Bandwidth
    Based in London, GB (close to Ireland)
    £15 per 6 months

    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
  • @Envida No update? Do tell.. go on, go on, go on.

    Then=sequence/consequence; than=compare || Brought=bring; bought=buy
    Paid=NotSkint; payed=some naval thing

  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited April 17

    Fire the client. Sleep peacefully.

    @serverwala must smoke some low quality weed (or maybe the real good stiff?) to have a map like that

    Thanked by 1stdeyna
  • DwayneDwayne Member

    @OsirisBlack said:
    The infamous Oneprovider offer Dublin.

    What about using their cheapest $3 VPS as a reverse proxy and running the actual website on a VPS or shared hosting elsewhere in Europe?

    Personally, I wouldn't like the idea of having to manage two servers but well...

  • ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited April 17

    Wow this post was very well written.

    One provider offers VPS within your budget under their OneCloud brand. https://oneprovider.com/onecloud/pricing

    Any reason in particular she hates Amazon that much? Their hosting business is completely separate from the rest of their endeavors.

  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Provider

    ServeByte.com is good

    Artnet - Poland (Gdańsk) based instant setup express dedicated servers & cloud VPS
    ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations! - Discussion Thread

  • stdeynastdeyna Member

    @WebProject said:
    We do have a LET special for 1GB VPS:
    1GB Memory
    10GB SSD
    1 vCore CPU
    2TB Bandwidth
    Based in London, GB (close to Ireland)
    £15 per 6 months

    order link please 🙂

    ps axu

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

    @stdeyna said:

    @WebProject said:
    We do have a LET special for 1GB VPS:
    1GB Memory
    10GB SSD
    1 vCore CPU
    2TB Bandwidth
    Based in London, GB (close to Ireland)
    £15 per 6 months

    order link please 🙂

    The offer is available on our website, so link to sales page:
    https://www.web-project.co.uk/sales

    Thanked by 1stdeyna
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
  • @WebProject said:

    @stdeyna said:

    @WebProject said:
    We do have a LET special for 1GB VPS:
    1GB Memory
    10GB SSD
    1 vCore CPU
    2TB Bandwidth
    Based in London, GB (close to Ireland)
    £15 per 6 months

    order link please 🙂

    The offer is available on our website, so link to sales page:
    https://www.web-project.co.uk/sales

    Please note this Plan is for London UK, not Ireland.

    Thanked by 1stdeyna
  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

    @jamespeach said:

    @WebProject said:

    @stdeyna said:

    @WebProject said:
    We do have a LET special for 1GB VPS:
    1GB Memory
    10GB SSD
    1 vCore CPU
    2TB Bandwidth
    Based in London, GB (close to Ireland)
    £15 per 6 months

    order link please 🙂

    The offer is available on our website, so link to sales page:
    https://www.web-project.co.uk/sales

    Please note this Plan is for London UK, not Ireland.

    Thanks for clearing up, if you do check the above post it’s clearly indicated that node based in London, GB

    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
  • kkrajkkkrajk Member

    @Envida said: but now she's figured out that the A in AWS stands for Amazon, she wants an alternative.

    Laughed out really Loud here...
    iirc my first ever on LET

  • @kkrajk said:

    @Envida said: but now she's figured out that the A in AWS stands for Amazon, she wants an alternative.

    Laughed out really Loud here...
    iirc my first ever on LET

    https://bit.ly/sunnyLOL


    AWS = American Waiting Suite

    It's a nickname for the first class lounge of American Airlines.

    The end is nigh for Ubuntu 16.04. Providers still offering Ubuntu 16.04 past EOL will be ashamed.

  • kkrajkkkrajk Member

    @salakis said: Serverwala looks very legit. Especially their geography skills are very convincing.

    They are from the future.
    This is how the world would be after WW3

  • shellshell Member

    dediserve have ireland location, maybe you want to check them

    https://manage.dediserve.com/?cmd=cart&action=add&id=375

  • emmd19emmd19 Member

    Fire and dump this client like a sack of spoiled potatoes during the Irish famine. Doesn't matter whether there's the prospect of future work or not. Her Karen-grade behavior now should be throwing up all sorts of red flags for you. The massive headache you will inevitably develop while trying to keep your sanity when dealing with her is not worth any price.

  • EnvidaEnvida Member

    Thanks for all the suggestions.

    I've kind of come to a bit of a compromise with her. I'm going to get it up and running on AWS. If she finds a provider she would prefer I will move everything across for her and have told her there will be a small extra charge for doing that. I've pointed out all the relevant options given here but my guess is that it'll be on AWS for years to come.

    @ehhthing said:

    Any reason in particular she hates Amazon that much? Their hosting business is completely separate from the rest of their endeavors.

    I've had many reasons given to me - they are too big, they don't pay tax properly, a delivery driver pissed through her letterbox. Ok, so not that last one, but I could see why they would. The point is, her reason changes.

    I think she, somehow, sees them as her competition. People could sell their stuff directly rather than going through her.

    @emmd19 said:
    Fire and dump this client like a sack of spoiled potatoes during the Irish famine. Doesn't matter whether there's the prospect of future work or not. Her Karen-grade behavior now should be throwing up all sorts of red flags for you. The massive headache you will inevitably develop while trying to keep your sanity when dealing with her is not worth any price.

    I won't be volunteering to do anything else for her, thats for sure. Once this is all over, thats it.

  • The saga continues.. :|

    Then=sequence/consequence; than=compare || Brought=bring; bought=buy
    Paid=NotSkint; payed=some naval thing

Sign In or Register to comment.