Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia just announced ARM Server CPUs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Nvidia just announced ARM Server CPUs

So whats your thoughts on it?
Will it see success?
Failure?
What this means for the ecosystem?

Comments

  • tolovalltolovall Member
    edited April 13

    Apple M1 shows lower power req, comparable performance.

    Need more developers to improve the ecosystem.

  • @tolovall said:
    Need more developers to improve the ecosystem.

    Is that true server-side? ARM architectures seem fairly well-supported by Linux and other FOSS projects where it makes a difference for hosting. Maybe some extra work needs to be done to optimise for this specific variant of the architecture but that isn't something every project needs to care overly about - just kernel, driver, and compiler makers.

  • @tolovall said:
    Apple M1 shows lower power req, comparable performance.

    Need more developers to improve the ecosystem.

    Apple M1 is also exclusive to Apple and exclusive to laptops.
    Oh, and they are overpriced. You don't buy a MacBook because of performance or price, but for the apple logo.

    Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting

    My Blog rafalblog.xyz
    Contabo GmbH insanely cheap VPS |

  • @skorupion said: and exclusive to laptops.

    now, we'll see in a year, two

  • @skorupion said: Oh, and they are overpriced. You don't buy a MacBook because of performance or price, but for the apple logo.

    You buy mainly for the operating system, deduct the price of 500$ from the price of the Apple Lapop as much as the system is worth.

  • @Hotmarer said:

    @skorupion said: and exclusive to laptops.

    now, we'll see in a year, two

    There may be a Mac pro that will cost like 40 k base price...

    My Blog rafalblog.xyz
    Contabo GmbH insanely cheap VPS |

  • @Hotmarer said:

    @skorupion said: Oh, and they are overpriced. You don't buy a MacBook because of performance or price, but for the apple logo.

    You buy mainly for the operating system, deduct the price of 500$ from the price of the Apple Lapop as much as the system is worth.

    No. Hackntosh exists. You buy for the apple logo.

    My Blog rafalblog.xyz
    Contabo GmbH insanely cheap VPS |

  • @skorupion said: No. Hackntosh exists. You buy for the apple logo.

    Then try to install a hackintosh and use it for a year.

    Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • @Hotmarer said:

    @skorupion said: No. Hackntosh exists. You buy for the apple logo.

    Then try to install a hackintosh and use it for a year.

    After my RTX 3070 comes, sure I will install it on my laptop.

    My Blog rafalblog.xyz
    Contabo GmbH insanely cheap VPS |

  • Can ARM-based CPUs support virtualization?

  • coolicecoolice Member

    @chihcherng said:
    Can ARM-based CPUs support virtualization?

    Yes there even vmware for arm

    Future-Proof Yourself! Buy! Buy!

  • google1google1 Member
    edited April 13

    @skorupion please advise a 400nit screen laptop, similar weight profile, similar battery life for $1000.

    I used to think Apple was overpriced (if you did a silly comparsion based on cpu/memory/disk) until you dig into the details, enjoy your 220/250/300nit laptop, double the weight, half the battery, for 60% of the price,

    Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • google1google1 Member

    Apple has such a lead here that its difficult to see Graviton (AWS), Nvidia and Qualcomm if they re-enter get close to M1 and the M1x coming soon. Sadly. Cloudflare CEO has reach out to Apple directly on Twitter publically about silicon procurement for their edge servers, no dice. Just to be clear I'm don't own an Apple, but their new M1 chip represents incredible value, shame about the pinned form factor.

  • salakissalakis Member
    edited April 13

    I don't think that Apple products are bad value. I have been using the same Macbook Air since 2014 and it's still going strong. I am not even an iOS user, so I can't benefit as much from the synergy between iOS and macOS, but it's simply a much nicer environment to work with.

    Build quality remains great and imo even surpasses T-Series Thinkpads.
    But now, with M1, one could argue that it is not good value to buy anything other than a Macbook. The M1 is really incredible and unlike the Intel predecessors, it's not struggling with heat dissipation either.

    I am currently really not aware of any other machine with a retail price of 1000 USD and such a killer combination of performance, display, portability, battery and build quality.

    Regarding recent ARM ventures within servers, I think it's a good idea. I believe that ARM has quite some potential, especially when it comes efficiency. Wild assumption, but I think that ARM has the benefit of being the primary architecture for smartphones and other appliances where power consumption is absolutely critical, so I see power efficiency as something that is almost a core element of ARM.

    Also, computing is finally fun again, having the potential option of picking an architecture again is neat in comparison to the x86_64 monotony. Other than that, I am not afraid of using ARM-based servers in the future, I am not using any software on Linux that wouldn't work on arm64. Whether it is fully optimized at the moment is a different story, but I have no issues with my current ARM64 boxes (RPi and retired headless phone on pmOS).

  • google1google1 Member

    Apple M1 is also exclusive to Apple and exclusive to laptops.

    Quick someone tell all those consumers that purchased a MacMini to chargeback.. comical

  • jarjar Provider
    edited April 13

    @skorupion said:

    @Hotmarer said:

    @skorupion said: Oh, and they are overpriced. You don't buy a MacBook because of performance or price, but for the apple logo.

    You buy mainly for the operating system, deduct the price of 500$ from the price of the Apple Lapop as much as the system is worth.

    No. Hackntosh exists. You buy for the apple logo.

    Lol. Use duct tape, you buy nails and hammers because you like the logo. Use emulators, you only buy consoles for the logo. Use cheaper hard drives, you only buy enterprise disks for the logo.

    A hacked kernel on cheap flimsy laptops that can’t be guaranteed updates without risking total failure is not even remotely equivalent to the system built to run it. Anyone with a little bit of sense leaking out of their head would know that. And if you’re building a system specifically be a Hackintosh you’re saving pennies at the guarantee of compatibility issues later (which will be solved by spending the money you thought you saved plus more). If for no other reason, it’ll be because they removed the Intel support. Then all the apps start updating to ARM only, and Apple discontinues Rosetta 2. Wow much savings, you built a time capsule that displays an older OS version.

    I’m no stranger to trying to take shortcuts to save money. I always learn the same lesson: I end up buying the thing that saves money and doesn’t do the job well enough + the original thing I tried to avoid because of the price tag, because the other item didn’t do the job.

    Ask my wife about the Wyze motion sensor + lights combo. Spent all this money and it turns out Philips Hue is the only thing that does the job consistently, reliably, and quickly. It’s the same story over and over again. Overpriced? Yeah. Alternatives exist? Yeah. Alternatives did the job well enough? Nope. Try to save money on current tech and find yourself spending more. If you want a Mac, buy a Mac. If you’re upset because you want one and can’t afford it, I’ll donate to your GoFundMe.

    This place only runs with a community that claims to save money but doesn’t really and you’ll notice that if you look behind the curtain. Everyone here loves cheap servers, they’re such great alternatives to expensive servers. That’s why everyone here has 150 idle cheap servers they’re not using, because they love to save money. Cheap shoppers don’t spend less than me when I go directly to what I want, they just take a longer path with a larger number of small expenses over time.

    Founder @ MXroute

  • zxrlhazxrlha Member

    Mac is clearly a shit.
    I have been using a Macbook pro for about 2 years. It sucks frequently, and I can only force power off it.

    Thanked by 1webcraft

    QuantumCore :) Webhorizon :) LittleCreek :D Clouveo ;) RackNerd ;) NexusBytes :* Novos :p NaranjaTech :* QuickPacket :blush:

  • deankdeank Member, Troll

    It means one thing.

    The end is nigh.

    Thanked by 1webcraft

    "Jarland is stupid."

  • @skorupion said:

    @Hotmarer said:

    @skorupion said: No. Hackntosh exists. You buy for the apple logo.

    Then try to install a hackintosh and use it for a year.

    After my RTX 3070 comes, sure I will install it on my laptop.

    lol you sure aren’t

    nvidia hasn’t been supported in years - Apple has some beef with them or whatever

    Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • google1google1 Member
    edited April 13

    Put another way jar, buy cheap buy twice.

    in case of Apple it might thrice, I know many people that still operate 5S (granted unsupported on iOS latest), 6 and 7 phones, try find me an active Android user using a Galaxy 5/6.

    That said I dont still own Apple hardware, although if the local store has the M1/8gb/256 in stock tomorrow Im probably going to pick it up. Stick with linux on desktop

    Thanked by 2jar stevewatson301
  • @jar said:

    @skorupion said:

    @Hotmarer said:

    @skorupion said: Oh, and they are overpriced. You don't buy a MacBook because of performance or price, but for the apple logo.

    You buy mainly for the operating system, deduct the price of 500$ from the price of the Apple Lapop as much as the system is worth.

    No. Hackntosh exists. You buy for the apple logo.

    Lol. Use duct tape, you buy nails and hammers because you like the logo. Use emulators, you only buy consoles for the logo. Use cheaper hard drives, you only buy enterprise disks for the logo.

    A hacked kernel on cheap flimsy laptops that can’t be guaranteed updates without risking total failure is not even remotely equivalent to the system built to run it. Anyone with a little bit of sense leaking out of their head would know that. And if you’re building a system specifically be a Hackintosh you’re saving pennies at the guarantee of compatibility issues later (which will be solved by spending the money you thought you saved plus more). If for no other reason, it’ll be because they removed the Intel support. Then all the apps start updating to ARM only, and Apple discontinues Rosetta 2. Wow much savings, you built a time capsule that displays an older OS version.

    I’m no stranger to trying to take shortcuts to save money. I always learn the same lesson: I end up buying the thing that saves money and doesn’t do the job well enough + the original thing I tried to avoid because of the price tag, because the other item didn’t do the job.

    Ask my wife about the Wyze motion sensor + lights combo. Spent all this money and it turns out Philips Hue is the only thing that does the job consistently, reliably, and quickly. It’s the same story over and over again. Overpriced? Yeah. Alternatives exist? Yeah. Alternatives did the job well enough? Nope. Try to save money on current tech and find yourself spending more. If you want a Mac, buy a Mac. If you’re upset because you want one and can’t afford it, I’ll donate to your GoFundMe.

    This place only runs with a community that claims to save money but doesn’t really and you’ll notice that if you look behind the curtain. Everyone here loves cheap servers, they’re such great alternatives to expensive servers. That’s why everyone here has 150 idle cheap servers they’re not using, because they love to save money. Cheap shoppers don’t spend less than me when I go directly to what I want, they just take a longer path with a larger number of small expenses over time.

    Well if someone explains this so extensively then I can agree.

    My Blog rafalblog.xyz
    Contabo GmbH insanely cheap VPS |

  • @doghouch said: lol you sure aren’t

    I mean I'm going to use my laptop that I'm currently using...

    My Blog rafalblog.xyz
    Contabo GmbH insanely cheap VPS |

  • jarjar Provider

    @google1 said:
    Put another way jar, buy cheap buy twice.

    in case of Apple it might thrice, I know many people that still operate 5S (granted unsupported on iOS latest), 6 and 7 phones, try find me an active Android user using a Galaxy 5/6.

    That said I dont still own Apple hardware, although if the local store has the M1/8gb/256 in stock tomorrow Im probably going to pick it up. Stick with linux on desktop

    They gave me $500 to spend in the store so I felt obligated to grab a new mini. I had the developer kit so I could start testing the MXroute iOS app on MacOS, the credit was for returning it. So this will continue to be my Xcode box. Good times!

    Founder @ MXroute

  • deankdeank Member, Troll

    Jarlard is so smart.

    "Jarland is stupid."

  • i love how I ask about Nvidia and everyone talks about apple m1...

    Thanked by 3jar drizbo rhinoduck
  • @google1 said:
    Apple has such a lead here that its difficult to see Graviton (AWS), Nvidia and Qualcomm if they re-enter get close to M1 and the M1x coming soon. Sadly. Cloudflare CEO has reach out to Apple directly on Twitter publically about silicon procurement for their edge servers, no dice. Just to be clear I'm don't own an Apple, but their new M1 chip represents incredible value, shame about the pinned form factor.

    Apple likely needs to make 40% profit on CPU's. AWS, Google, etc don't, they'll make it up in services.

Sign In or Register to comment.