Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Positive experience with hotlineservers - 2 months in - they went above and beyond
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Positive experience with hotlineservers - 2 months in - they went above and beyond

Usually I don't write reviews this early in the game but after dealing with a few other providers lately I actually think @hotlineservers Brian deserves a call out.

I've been with @hotlineservers for 2 months now, I actually never heard of them until someone in this forum recommended them when I was looking for a VPS node in Miami, FL.

Before hotline I already had 2 other VPS providers that I had found on this forum as well but they sometimes took a full day to respond to a support ticket for a basic question or request like making debian 10 images available on reinstall page. I wasn't expecting much given that I was paying less than $20 a year to each of these providers.

Hotline support has been fantastic, speedy responses to all my questions and tickets even during weekends. I was trying to learn IPv6 traffic routing via wireguard and Brian even went above and beyond and stood up a spare 'test' node just for me to try to figure out the problem without affecting my primary VM.

A month after I started using hotline they even upgraded their servers to faster nodes and even my node was moved to an even faster host node. I wasn't expecting that since I had already paid for the full year and I guess most providers wouldn't have bothered.

After a few weeks of back and forth and testing, which needed Brian's help modifying some server side settings I was finally able to get IPv6 to be routed via wireguard without requiring a routed IPv6 segment. @hotlineservers even enabled the backup feature on my VM to automatically backup things in case they break later (feature wasn't enabled originally).

In closing if you're looking for an attentive and dedicated service provider you should take a look at Brian @hotlineservers

Comments

• bookmarked to look at it in about a year

• WolfWolf Member

Honestly... I'm not sure about this. Usually I'd love to pick this apart as any other other review, but in the end I do not care as much. Let's just state some things, so people can build an informed opinion on their own.

You are kinda new and might not be aware, but positive reviews are met with quite some scepticism. When checking your 'I've been with [...] for2 months now', I found a post in which you were telling us about trying them out. That was more like one month ago, not two.

Next thing are your expectations when being on the "low end". A full day to respond to a non-critical ticket for 'basic questions' or 'adding linux images' is actually pretty great. Paying the amounts we are talking here, oftentimes barely cover the cost. Reading your post 'I was trying to learn IPv6 traffic routing via wireguard and Brian even went above and beyond and stood up a spare 'test' node just for me to try to figure out the problem without affecting my primary VM', just shows that you are kinda toying around and hence I can only guess what the other 'basic questions' were about. The reason he was able to respond to your tickets quite quickly, might be caused by his lower amount of customers. I've been with many providers over the years and a great part amazed me with their response times - even bigger ones. I wonder what happens if we all start asking for such special treatment.

'After a few weeks of back and forth and testing' you mean in the total of 4,5 weeks you were with them till today? Without the migration and everything else ofc.

Okay. So after reading your topic and gathering information, it seems like there are and were quite some people happy with Hotline. But what about the other things? They do not accept PayPal, which is neither good nor bad, as I know of someone who had trouble with it himself. They are a complete "One-Man-Show" with all the pros/cons and just recently, in November, "returned" to the surface, after stopping operation and migrating all of their customers to a competitor in August (or refunding them) - as mentioned in numerous of their offer-threads [1][2][3]. To be honest the history of them is fine and even the short stop of operation was done quite well, as I could not find much of an outcry.

While I think that Brian is great guy, I guess that your praise came a little early. He is on his way back to recover health and get well, but only time will tell if they can become a reliable and good provider. I mean.. they started operation in February 2020 and were "down" for 4 months, due to private health issues - so not even one year old if we consider that.

'[...] if you're looking for an attentive and dedicated service provider [...]', you should decide on your own.

Cheers.

• darbdarb Member

BS and fluff are definetly not tolerated on LEB and I kind of like it that way. IMHO what this forum needs is a way for the community as a whole to be able to vote up or down threads and perhaps have them drop off of the board at a certain threshold.

• @Wolf said:
    Honestly... I'm not sure about this. Usually I'd love to pick this apart as any other other review, but in the end I do not care as much. Let's just state some things, so people can build an informed opinion on their own.

You are kinda new and might not be aware, but positive reviews are met with quite some scepticism. When checking your 'I've been with [...] for2 months now', I found a post in which you were telling us about trying them out. That was more like one month ago, not two.

If a person rounds 5 weeks up to 2 months, I can't trust anything else that is said to be accurate. Kind of like how the very first chapter of the Bible is complete nonsense, why believe anything else after?

Thanked by 1Wolf
  • Sadly at the moment, 1 of my servers with hotline has been down for over 2 hours :/

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited April 2021

Which location? Miami and Chicago have been solid so far. (2 months customer, rounded)

• stephfd21stephfd21 Member
    edited April 2021

New York, I think I'll request a move to a new location. My Miami server is fine

• Yeah my Miami and ChiTown are both running just fine

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited April 2021

@stephfd21 said: Sadly at the moment, 1 of my servers with hotline has been down for over 2 hours

Curious if HLS resolved the issue?

I've been with them for nearly 2 months, and weighing the risk of moving more of my apps onto my HLS virtual servers, from another provider. The price/performance has been excellent this far, but reliability concerns would be a hard-stop for me.

• @jon617 said:

@stephfd21 said: Sadly at the moment, 1 of my servers with hotline has been down for over 2 hours

I've been with them for nearly 2 months, and weighing the risk of moving more of my apps onto my HLS virtual servers, from another provider. The price/performance has been excellent this far, but reliability concerns would be a hard-stop for me.

Yes the issue was corrected. It was a network issue that took the Data center way to long to correct.

Thanked by 1jon617
  • @hotlineservers said:

@jon617 said:

Yes the issue was corrected. It was a network issue that took the Data center way to long to correct.

It was down for roughly 5 hours but Brian updated me throughout the entire process and even gave me a month free service due to the outage. That's what I call customer service.

Thanked by 2jon617 mustafamw3
  • Well this didn't last long and some of the comments here rang true eventually.

He seems to have scammed us all and our nodes all went offline without notice. https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/172358/hotlineservers-are-down#latest

Thanked by 2stephfd21 gazmull
  • lmao wow, look at us XD

Thanked by 2dopogio gazmull
  • This aged well...